The Anemone at the gate (Finally getting a NEM!!) Share your nem homes

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s finally happened the wife cracked and we’re finally getting a rainbow nem!!!

First I would love to get some ideas for nem placement. Post a pic of how you house them In your tank! Bonus for a brief on your thoughts behind it.

Second I need some advice in my current plan:
As with all thing that will live in the DT the nem will have to go through QT for a few weeks before migrating it over to the DT. My goal is to keep it in a coral tamer from Wet Aquatics, I’m hoping that it’ll prevent it from moving around the tank. Does anyone have experience with keeping nems in a clear cup? Or do I need to get a nem box? Just some initial thoughts...

Still scouring R2R for general care, feel free to drop nem wisdom on me I always welcome it.
Thank ya all!

4B8913B5-DC42-4C47-95BF-9E7DDEDF4F6B.jpeg

Last edited:

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lowe’s has a aquatic pond basket that I use in my frag tank

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen those... do you just keep it at the bottom or do you clip it to the side?

Last edited:

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard that they work and I‘ve heard that they don’t. It’s important to consider that over time the anemone may outgrow it’s home and wander in search of a new one. I’ve never really heard of QT/dipping anemones. But I guess it’d be okay as long as the QT is a more established tank... Make sure your wavemakers are covered && your QT has good lighting since anemones need nice, high, lighting. Also make sure that in QT the nem’ isn’t actually treated with anything. They’re very sensitive to most medications.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I found a rock with a couple of holes in it. Try placing your nem where it can easily foot. Don't Target feed it ever.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fwiw: you dont place anemones..you can try to put them in a spot you think is suitable, but they have a mind of their own and will settle in where they feel comfortable...and..rainbow anemones will likely split someday and make more..so make sure you are ok with that..

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the advice and suggestions!

Just some follow up questions:
I'm curious about not spot feeding them. I haven't done enough research there but I've seen folks spot feed before, I've been told that it helps keep them in place instead of roaming for a food source.

I do expect the nem to split at some point, I like the pond basket idea if I float the basket at the top of the tank will they be good tank citizens and stay? I really want to know if they will crawl out of the water and into the tank. I don't think this is a long term option.

Nem guards, I've seen them all over... I'm going to put the mesh ones that came with my xf330, do the 3d printed ones work well?

Flow is my other question what do they like? I would imagine if they are in boxes or cups they don't require a lot.

Couple of leading ideas
1591294894680.png
1591294986886.png

Again thank you for all the input and advice!

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally the cup looks so unnatural to me and you may wake up one morning to find it has left the cup anyways. My nems don't move for food and I don't target feed. I've seen them move for different flow , light, or a preffered spot to attach, or sometimes when they split. These haven't been fed directly in over three years and I went from four to nine.

IMG_0614[1].JPG

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally the cup looks so unnatural to me and you may wake up one morning to find it has left the cup anyways. My nems don't move for food and I don't target feed. I've seen them move for different flow , light, or a preffered spot to attach, or sometimes when they split. These haven't been fed directly in over three years and I went from four to nine.

IMG_0614[1].JPG
Thank you! That's good to know. It is going in our mixed tank so I have my thoughts about where it should live, unfortunately as this thread is proving nems have a mind of their own :) Life finds a way right?!?

Last edited:

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion on targeting feeding is do or don't, its up to you. People have success both ways just monitor what ever you decide. I personally target feed once a week a small piece of raw shrimp and i mean small. Its a meaty snack for them haha. Sure i can survive on fruits and veggies but i enjoy a meaty snack on occassion too :)

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nem is in the QT going on day 4. Started off at the top of the rock and now has moved between two, definitely an active little bugger. Fed benepets/ab+/mysis to the water column last night small should have picked up bits and pieces

Low flow moderate light. For now any other recommendations?

EB05B939-647A-4623-9D06-268B6620DD1B.jpeg 884471BE-1964-409D-A98B-36DD45941E39.jpeg 30D300DF-A595-4B5F-A33B-F83C080625C4.jpeg

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! That's good to know. It is going in our mixed tank so I have my thoughts about where it should live, unfortunately as this thread is proving nems have a mind of their own :) Life finds a way right?!?
I started with a mix tank, and my anemones would always walk around, and then i would always have to watch it and start moving coral around so it wont sting it. Luckily, I did not have a lot of coral, so i moved most of them to my nano tank (some died from worms eating them). Now, my main tank has ~12 anemones (3 carpet haddonis, 2 gig anemones, 1 ritteri, 5 btas, 1 mini maxi). I can tell you none of them stayed where i put them.

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nem is in the QT going on day 4. Started off at the top of the rock and now has moved between two, definitely an active little bugger. Fed benepets/ab+/mysis to the water column last night small should have picked up bits and pieces

Low flow moderate light. For now any other recommendations?

EB05B939-647A-4623-9D06-268B6620DD1B.jpeg 884471BE-1964-409D-A98B-36DD45941E39.jpeg 30D300DF-A595-4B5F-A33B-F83C080625C4.jpeg
Btw, I never quarantine any of my anemones. Not saying it's the right thing, but I never did it and they are all Alive. Also I only temperature acclimate them, and dropped them in without drop acclimating. I read somewhere on forums that anemones was able to absorb the water around them. Not sure what it is, but my anemones usually open up right away without drop acclimating.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, I never quarantine any of my anemones. Not saying it's the right thing, but I never did it and they are all Alive. Also I only temperature acclimate them, and dropped them in without drop acclimating. I read somewhere on forums that anemones was able to absorb the water around them. Not sure what it is, but my anemones usually open up right away without drop acclimating.
Thank you for sharing, it’s good advice! For the quarantine it’s good to know, I wasn’t 100% but since the nem came with a huge rock which had a ton of fan worms (not bad) we wanted to make sure that there wasn’t any other critters hiding out on there. Especially since we couldn’t dip we’ve been bitten by the vermited snails before... just makes me gun shy about dropping things into the main tank.

Your tank sounds amazing! Mind sharing a picture?

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing, it’s good advice! For the quarantine it’s good to know, I wasn’t 100% but since the nem came with a huge rock which had a ton of fan worms (not bad) we wanted to make sure that there wasn’t any other critters hiding out on there. Especially since we couldn’t dip we’ve been bitten by the vermited snails before... just makes me gun shy about dropping things into the main tank.

Your tank sounds amazing! Mind sharing a picture?
Sure. Here u go

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing looking tank! Did you do anything custom for your flow to protect the nems from crawling in? or are you just using the return flow?

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing looking tank! Did you do anything custom for your flow to protect the nems from crawling in? or are you just using the return flow?
I only have sleeves for now but looking into getting nem gaurds. My ritteri is currently sitting on my return nozzle
20200606_154745.jpg

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have sleeves for now but looking into getting nem gaurds. My ritteri is currently sitting on my return nozzle
20200606_154745.jpg
I do see nem guards in your future. I've been reading stories about nems walking into MPs... trying to avoid that.

I saw that nem in your video, it's really just taken over that spot. Did you have to move the carpet below?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 139 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 82 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.4%
Back