The Ants have arrived! How to treat around Reef tank?

Ubans13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tried to ask this in the general discussion but I couldn't. So the problem I'm having is ants drinking out of my ATO tank. I know the Ortho gel works great with the ants. My concern is the ants eating the gel then going to drink the fresh water and poisoning my Reef with the ortho. How do you guys treat for ants and pest around your tanks?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tried to ask this in the general discussion but I couldn't. So the problem I'm having is ants drinking out of my ATO tank. I know the Ortho gel works great with the ants. My concern is the ants eating the gel then going to drink the fresh water and poisoning my Reef with the ortho. How do you guys treat for ants and pest around your tanks?
Is there anyway to seal the ato while you treat for the ants? Perhaps with saranwrap and tape temporarily.?

OP
OP
Ubans13

Ubans13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could try that! Maybe just move the top off to a bucket for now. Thanks never thought about that. But sometimes we over look the easy things!

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ants are a 2-3 treatment thing right?

Manual top off for a week or so an option? Gives a reason to start spring reef cleaning! Lol

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a pro service for years, even had ants treated and have never had an issue. I never had ants actually around any of tanks or ato. I'd probably remove or relocate the ato temporarily and treat for the ants. Then after the ants are gone, put the ato back.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to invest some time investigating where they're coming from so you can place the bait(s) as far from the tank as possible.

Ideally place the bait/trap where they are gaining entry from the outside, if you can find it. But inside at the point of entry is OK too. There will be a swarm at the bait if all goes well, so be prepared. :)

There are severral similar products on the market, but this brand makes my favorites:
Liquid Ant Baits

I've used every product on that page and have at least one of them on hand at all times.

These are probably my favorite:
TERRO® Liquid Ant Baits - 6 Pack
ter_us-bt300bulk.fw

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to invest some time investigating where they're coming from so you can place the bait(s) as far from the tank as possible.

Ideally place the bait/trap where they are gaining entry from the outside, if you can find it. But inside at the point of entry is OK too. There will be a swarm at the bait if all goes well, so be prepared. :)

There are severral similar products on the market, but this brand makes my favorites:
Liquid Ant Baits

I've used every product on that page and have at least one of them on hand at all times.

These are probably my favorite:
TERRO® Liquid Ant Baits - 6 Pack
ter_us-bt300bulk.fw
THIS would've been my exact suggestion!

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not give them an easier water supply closer to where they're coming into the house to keep them away from your ATO? Ants love water, so give them a decoy. You can then proceed however you want knowing that you've diverted them away from your tank.

Efranco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue a few months ago. I switched to a bucket for my ATO while i put gel and traps in the areas i saw the ants for a few weeks...I never had them in my ATO but did find one floating in my sump and tried to cover my sump as much as possible using pieces of acrylic

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They're smart little _____'s.

Every crack I seal leads them to two more – usually behind some immobile cabinetry or similar. :mad:

I have to do a perimeter treatment to keep them out....but I don't since I have a garden and that effs with everything that eats ants as well as things that are similar to ants.

I can't say it's nice having ants, but it's nice watching my yard's amphibian population skyrocket. I find newts under everything now. I'm hoping the ant problem will start to decrease as predator populations continue to rebound.

Until then I control inside as much as possible with these baits.

Very occasionally
I'll be able to find their outside access, but I think only 2-3 times in >10 years of battling has that happened.

In Hawaii they have ant and don't mind them....they also have geckos that live in their houses and are considered good luck.

Maybe we need some house gecko's on the mainland!? You just need to keep a tiny house gecko pooper scooper around then. ;)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every crack I seal leads them to two more – usually behind some immobile cabinetry or similar. :mad:
Pffft, it only took me 2 years in this house to get em out. I also used a lil "safe" poisons OUTside the house as discouragement for the ants.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back