The Bacterial “Rip Clean” Method

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Timfish is more versed on that area.

quote:

Biofloc Management
The function of the biofloc is to reduce the nitrogenous metabolic waste (ammonia, nitrite) produced by shrimp feeding and production. Ammonia consumed by heterotrophic bacteria becomes protein, which can then be consumed by shrimp and converted into growth.

there is conflict information on some biofloc papers as heterotrophic bacteria can’t use ammonia directly only reduce it in the environment by metabolising organic matter that produces ammonia.
I am currently trying to make the hole context more visual helpfully ready in a couple days.
@Lasse
Please help us Plgrims not get lost in Bug World. I am “all in” on this type of nutrient management. While I have some limited experience, you have certificates that allow you to get paid to teach people to stir S.H.I.T.

Most importantly, in this seriously complex biofloc conversation, we need Swedish humor, wit and wisdom.

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please keep updating this pictures and any other observations you see whether they are positive or negative.

I will continue posting updates to 75G tank from #295.

So, 6 hours after staining display tank phytoplankton green with 1 liter of Tetraselmis concentrate. The water clarity is better than stellar, “It’s stellar on steroids”.

The light diatom dusting that I saw a few hours ago on substrate is gone. All corals are extended with best polyps except for large long polyp green leather. Sometimes gorgonians & leathers slough off mucous, but now I see emerging green polyps.

@sixty_reefer
Is post #329 a good starting point for 120G problem child tank?

. Please pardon my enthusiasm of participation as I have somewhat hijacked your thread with many post.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sixty_reefer

So, 6 hours after staining display tank phytoplankton green with 1 liter of Tetraselmis concentrate. The water clarity is better than stellar, “It’s stellar on steroids”.

The light diatom dusting that I saw a few hours ago on substrate is gone. All corals are extended with best polyps except for large long polyp green leather. Sometimes gorgonians & leathers slough off mucous, but now I see emerging green polyps.

The production of hydrogen peroxide by some high light algae’s really put me off dosing phyto, amongst other things. How do you explain the water clarity, bacterial assimilation?

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@sixty_reefer

. Please pardon my enthusiasm of participation as I have somewhat hijacked your thread with many post.

Post as much as you feel it’s needed, it’s not my thread is everyone’s and only with participation like you are doing we can move towards something good.
Thank you for all you doing, I’ve just been a little busy with work but I’ve been keeping an eye on your progress, amazing tank you got there this is how i am also, aiming for diversity.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The production of hydrogen peroxide by some high light algae’s really put me off dosing phyto, amongst other things. How do you explain the water clarity, bacterial assimilation?
Water clarity is due to both bacteria assimilation and filter feeder assimilation of bacteria. This is nutrient recycling at its best.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please keep updating this pictures and any other observations you see whether they are positive or negative.
Day 5
0430 hours. Lights on for 10 minutes. White sand reflects much light.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 18

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This 120G display is one light cycle ahead of 75G tank On Reef Actif dosing of bioflock. This system has a MaxiJet 1000 pumping 250 GPHr into plenum with 2” aroggonite substrate. Air bubbler in display is to maximize gas exchange during lights out when both pH and oxygen are lowest. Low pH is of little concern, maximizing oxygen is the goal.

Day 5 during last hour of photo cycle. Water clarity is stellar. The rest of the system is limping along. This 120 G display needs a good gravel vac with a 5G partial water change, but Sunday is busy for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 21

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly believe the title of this thread should be changed from 'rip clean' in quotations, an equivocation to rip cleaning posts, into 'bacterial enhancement'

@brandon429
We have never been more in agreement than your above statement.

BUGS RULE as Microbial Overlords

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The phytoplankton might have acted like an anionic flocculating agent.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse
Please help us Plgrims not get lost in Bug World. I am “all in” on this type of nutrient management. While I have some limited experience, you have certificates that allow you to get paid to teach people to stir S.H.I.T.

Most importantly, in this seriously complex biofloc conversation, we need Swedish humor, wit and wisdom.
There does not seem to be anything is new here. The aquaculture business has studied nitrogen management in their ponds, including growing flocs to both support bacteria growth and feed fish and shrimp and have developed standard practices. We hobbiest are just catching up :)

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is free radicals a correct term for this.

Glad you brought your science background to this thread.
I crashed a culture of Sea Grapes with intense light as I am trying to inoculate eggcrate light grid as an algae feeding station.

http://ipsf.com/# image.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On another tank, I am feeding both live phytoplankton and liquid seaweed. Considering system dynamics I see all three as compatiable. Liquid seaweed feeds inorganic nutrients to algae & coral. Phytoplankton feeds invertebrates & filter feeders live nutrients absorbed from the brine during photosynthesis. Bioflock targets certain bacteria to outcompete nuisance algae.

@sixty_reefer
As I read the FB post, the author referenced enzymes in biomass of filter feeders. I find that very heartwarming because my vision is to have a filter feeder habitate mixed garden with lps & softies.

This is starting point of Dual 55G Skid tanks. Initially set up to process 200lbs of diver collected live rock & 50 lbs of live sand from Gulf Live Rock. The top 55G display is skimmerless, sumpless and fishless, with a powerful biochemical filter that uses a reverse flow thru 2” of aroggonite to perform powerful oxidation chemistry and the cryptic void in plenum is the habitat for the “sponge loop” that feeds detritus to the microbial loop and recycles POC back into the system as DIC which feeds photosynthesis that converts carbon dioxide into glucose.

In instrumentation, we call this ” a positive feedback loop”.

In Nature, we call this “Sustainable Maraculture”

PS: Top apex predators are Sally Lightfoot Crab and six Peppermint Shrimp.

Dual 55G tanks
Because this is a thread about bacteria and management of bacteria using diverse filter feeders specific enzymes, I will use liquid seaweed (inorganic carbon & little nitrogen) to favor growth for everyone and compliment that with phytoplankton as an organic carbon source.

There are no fish in this tank, I choose to favor amphipods & copepods as my gardeners, I can see them better than the bacteria. I also have much green macro algae and several red macros. Included in this tank are a variety of ornamental sponges, with my most recent joy two deep water NPS Gorgonions. The flame scallop is hiding and healthy.

I should note, that I occasional dose 5ml of ammonia when lights come on.

Note the last picture of muscle shell on sand bottom. Twenty four hours ago, I took live mussel from r
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another way to damage algae is high illumination with depleted inorganic nitrogen.
I often equated seaweed going sexual as a survival technique in which dna spores are released to water column. I still hope that eggcrate grid will be inoculated in cultivation vessel.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back