The Bacterial “Rip Clean” Method

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there some enzyme that eats detritus otherwise I probably need to do a physical rip clean at some point

My personal opinion is that it breaks down and goes inert in time
Freshly dead algae you could say might be aided in decomposition by the enzyme cellulase.
Some aquarium products claim it, or claim to add microbes that can make it.
Something that's been in the tank a long time has already had essentially all available nutrition pulled out and it would be hard for any new addition to "break it down".

If you don't like the look of old piles of detritus that have sat there for weeks.... suck it out.

Freshly dead stuff may offer a better target for treatment - it could release nutrients relevant to nuisance growth. A carbon dose can be a measure against that.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curiosity - why is everyone dosing at night?
Dosing nutrients at night ensures that they only can be used by heterotrophic organisms. Is just a more efficient way to deliver this nutrient to a specific group of bacteria.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sixty_reefer
Last night I dosed two 100% treatments of biofloc into 25 year mature system. I am tired of looking at black cyno & maroon cyno.

PS: To further make the point that systems will adapt to environmental manipulation I will double the nutrient in to 2 year old Caribbean mixed garden. image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

“In 1934, Alfred Redfield discovered that the ratio of carbon to nitrogen to phosphorus is a nearly constant 106:16:1 throughout the world's oceans, in both phytoplankton biomass and in dissolved nutrient pools. This insight has proved invaluable in understanding marine biogeochemical cycles, but, 80 years later, subtle variations to this ratio have emerged. In this Web Focus, we present a collection of research and opinion pieces that examine nutrient dynamics across ancient and modern changing environments.”

“biogeochemical cycles”

It’s complicated. Because everything is interconnected & interdependent; one component can not be isolated without affecting system dynamics, in Oceaneering it’s called Dynamic Equilibrium.

How have corals and microorganisms affected each other's genomes?​

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to dose.: 250 ml of phytoplankton, 5ml of liquid seaweed, and 5ml of ammonia . This will be done twice a day; now & 8 hrs later in the middle of photoperiod of 16 hrs.

As you see thru the window, by dawns early light, it will soon be full light outside. As I am awaiting delivery of a mini chainsaw, I expect to be working outside for as long as I have energy to spare, a commodity sometimes in short supply

PS: Oops. I put 1000 ml of live phytoplankton fertilized with Guillard f2 and liquid seaweed.
image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little bit over or under will not hurt your system, I find it a little funny people are using scales with this. The manufacturer covers their butt and gives you what they think is best. I'll put 60 grams in my tank tomorrow and I'll bet nothing dies. From what I get is your supposed to be on a schedule. Its about management and understanding.

Because I like the way you roll, I choose to join the challenge.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doing full dosage goes more in line with the product recommendation

I do it for several reasons, firstly is curiosity and I’d like to see how safe it is and if it can impact nitrates and phosphates. So far at double recommend dose it still safe in my system and no large impact on nitrates and phosphates.
Secondly is due to carbohydrates in the article being in balance with the amount of food a system gets daily in biofloc. I feed around 4 cubes of frozen a day on a small 25gallon

For those that think reef husbandry is not a solution, then they need a snake oil to work for then. I like @sixty_reefer observe system dynamics and decide “course of action”

“Secondly is due to carbohydrates in the article being in balance with the amount of food a system gets daily in biofloc. I feed around 4 cubes of frozen a day on a small 25gallon”

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing nutrients at night ensures that they only can be used by heterotrophic organisms. Is just a more efficient way to deliver this nutrient to a specific group of bacteria.

So the thought process is that you are targeting different groups with lights off vs lights on? Is there a fall off time or known consumption rate?

Dosing instructions lead me to believe that it will be in the system for at least a couple days before it is depleted. Thus dosing time, if consistent, should cover both periods.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the thought process is that you are targeting different groups with lights off vs lights on? Is there a fall off time or known consumption rate?

Dosing instructions lead me to believe that it will be in the system for at least a couple days before it is depleted. Thus dosing time, if consistent, should cover both periods.
Not completely in agreement. While it is true that bacteria feed all of the time, that does not reflect feeding strategy for photosynthetic organisms. That is why I dose nutrients like liquid seaweed and live phytoplankton (carbon) during photosynthesis.

Particularly in the case of ammonia.

Unless you are running continuous bacteria population test, I doubt anyone can answer

“Is there a fall off time or known consumption rate”

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not completely in agreement. While it is true that bacteria feed all of the time, that does not reflect feeding strategy for photosynthetic organisms. That is why I dose nutrients like liquid seaweed and live phytoplankton (carbon) during photosynthesis.

Particularly in the case of ammonia.

Unless you are running continuous bacteria population test, I doubt anyone can answer

“Is there a fall off time or known consumption rate”

Disagreements are perfectly fine. No worry. However I'm specifically talking about reef actif, dosing at night, and how long it is in the water column before it is exhausted, consumed, or dies. If it has staying power then both organisms will have a opportunity.

Maybe this is a question to Tropic Marin @Hans-Werner and if dosing it during lights on or off would make any difference.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disagreements are perfectly fine. No worry. However I'm specifically talking about reef actif, dosing at night, and how long it is in the water column before it is exhausted, consumed, or dies. If it has staying power then both organisms will have a opportunity.

Maybe this is a question to Tropic Marin @Hans-Werner and if dosing it during lights on or off would make any difference.

Tropic Marine knows. That’s what research and development is.

Again, it goes back to the end goal. Because my end goal is Laissez Faire reefkreeping with a Caribbean mixed garden lagoon, I focus on photosynthetic organisms with diverse filter feeders that are complimented with
cryptic sponge filtration.

PS: I am not a biofloc stockholder but I am a cheerleader for the science.

It is a good product to go hand & hand with good husbandry.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s about management and understanding.

I’m apparently lacking in the understanding part how this dosing is going to accomplish anything that vodka or vinegar do not.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any evidence supporting that assertion?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m apparently lacking in the understanding part how this dosing is going to accomplish anything that vodka or vinegar do not.

Randy,
This scientist says that not all cartoon ls equal: he differentiates between active & stable.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@areefer01
I knew you were focused on Reef Actif.

I am focused on a sustainable system.

Sixty uses reef actif as a product to enhance biofloc management of various nutrient pathways that process both organic & inorganic nutrients.

I do the same in Caribbean mixed garden lagoon whose biofloc management consists of adding: live phytoplankton, live mussels cracked open, liquid seaweed to replace chaetogrow and ammonia when it is needed.

Because I brought in the microbes & things required for the job, I don’t need to inoculate system with microbes.The dual 55G tanks were set up to process 50lbf diver collected live sand and 200lbs of diver collected Gulf Live Rock.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back