the badluck duo are at it again!

Kerriann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as per my Reefcentral thread,

well, now the pump is going on our 75g. apparently there's a flat spot on it and everytime the power goes out it kicks off and we (by we i obviously mean Jesse) have to tear apart the pump and force it to start again.

so, we're looking to either:

(a) find a decent pump for cheap

or

(b) sell the whole tank and get out of the hobby

thoughts?

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
is this for a return pump from a sump?
You could get one of those QuietOne pumps..they are pretty inexpensive.
I use a QuietOne1200 in my tank and it seems to do the job..never had any problems with it in the past 6months

raynist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, if it is for the return, you don't need a large pump. I run small return pumps in all of my tanks. You don't need a huge return pump. You can add flow in your display other ways. The pumps I use are under 30 watts, some of those large pumps can use 150 or more watts.

In my 120 I use an Aquaclear 70 pump, they are about $40.

On my 180 I use a Rio2100. They are about $40 also.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a point of sale ViaAqua that pumps 800gph for my return on my 75. It has been running for 4 years now with no issues. I have a smaller QO also running my manifold in my sump. I like that also.

Forget about option B!

bigmatt1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use to powerheads i think there hagens there pumpen 800 a piece but i could easly use one but i like the increase flow to the sump. you dont need nothing big or exspensive. check aquaworld for used or even petco or anywere like that for new cheap pumps. like paul said for get plan B.

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmmmm.... :) I ran a mag 18 and Little Giant 4-MDQX-SC through a manifold. I agree though. Am actually thinking about running the Little Giant as a closed loop pump on my 72. The advantages to slow flow through the sump are many, such as less chance of microbubbles making it back to the Display, the added benefit of it functioning as a refugium much better, lower power consumption, etc.

The drawback of course, is that you still need to get flow somewhere, and we can't all afford the 20 vortecs like Ray has in his basement :) Of course, Koralia's also do a nice job and cost much much less.

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this for a return pump from a sump?
You could get one of those QuietOne pumps..they are pretty inexpensive.
I use a QuietOne1200 in my tank and it seems to do the job..never had any problems with it in the past 6months

Jon,

I had two Quiet Ones burn out on me in a month and a half. I was running them on a closed loop, and they both just fried. Made me completely abandon the closed loop.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back