The Bears New Red Sea Reefer 170 Build

Jeffbear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everybody! I'm currently waiting on delivery of my new Red Sea 170 I ordered. I will be stepping up from my current Fluval Flex 9 I've had running for almost 5 months. Why you ask? Well, the wife was tired of looking at the Betta tank (Fluval Flex 15 w/Stand) in the livingroom and thought it was boring. The little tank in the bedroom with the pretty colors has grown on her. So, with her seeming on board, I pulled the trigger. Here is the equipment list for the new build so far:

Red Sea Reefer 170 with Black Cabinet
Tripp-Lite 7 Outlet switched surge suppressor
Brother Label Maker :p
6 foot wireway for inside cabinet
motion sensitive LED light for inside cabinet
Computer Cable Management kit from Amazon
Industrial strength velcro for mounting components (this stuff is awesome)

Equipment:

Sicce Syncra SDC 3.0 Return Pump
Inkbird 306a with dual temp probes and dual 100w heaters (from BRS)
Bubble Magnus Curve 5 Skimmer
Kessil a360x with wfi Dongle and Rigid arm mount
AI Nero 3 Wavemaker
Hygger Mini Wavemaker
Caribsea Liferock Arches
20 pounds of Caribsea Agra-Alive Pink Fiji Sand (may pick up another 10lbs this week)
5 gallon slim line Advanced Acrylics ATO Reservoir to top off instead of 1.5 gallon that comes with RSR 170
jbj Nano ATO

The Plan:

I will be making RO DI water tonight and tomorrow (40 Gallons). The tank is getting delivered on Thursday. I'm planning on setting up the stand and tank on Thursday evening. Friday I will be adding the new sand and new Liferock and scaping Friday evening. I plan to mix the Saltwater saturday morning for an afternoon start at filling the tank. Any suggestions for the fill would be appreciated, this will be my first sump system. After the fill, I plan on letting it run a couple of days to come to temperature and to break in the skimmer a bit. I'm contemplating adding some of the fritz bacteria I have left in the fridge just to start the bacteria populating. I will be transferring the rock and some of the sand from the Fluval over at the same time as the coral, (1) fish and the clean up crew. This will be most likely mid week next week. Please help this Noob out on my journey, you've gotten me this far! :D

Here is my cabinet layout plan, I've decided to mount the surge strip on the outside since I made this, I like the access to the switches better that way.

Onward!

RED SEA REEFER 170 CABINET LAYOUT WIRING SCHEDULE_FINAL.png 20220217_194011.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jeffbear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the technical schematic!
Thanks! I do these for a living! :D Well, at least one of my jobs in the past had to do with control cabinets. It's already come in handy as I was looking at the location of the surge suppressor, I decided outside the cabinet was a better placement.

OP
OP
J

Jeffbear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started filling a 44 gallon Brute with RODI last night for the anticipated fill Friday night. While setting up I started thinking hard about the Stocking of this new tank.

Here is what I currently have in the Fluval Flex 9:
1 Orchid Dottyback
1 Astrea Snail
2 Blue Hermit Crabs
2 Nassarius Snails
20+ little red banded Trochus Snails
14 various LPS, SPS and Zoas

My plan for stocking as of now:
2 Black Storm Clownfish
1 Orchid Dottyback
2 Cardinal Fish
1 Goby (not sure what would be good)
1 Tuxedo Urchin
5 Astrea Snails
10 Hermit Crabs
5 Nassarius Snails
As many Red Banded Trochus snails as I can grab
Mix of Corals to fill rock

What are your thoughts? I could use so help with this, Is this overstocked? Coming from a Freshwater background this seems light lol. I have researched and this stock seems compatible, but anyone with experience please chime in.

Thanks again for everyone's help. Pictures to follow!

20220308_234239.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jeffbear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It came! It came! Very excited. What a wild ride getting it to the house though. The driver called and asked if he would be able to get a 65 foot trailer through my neighborhood. Ehhhhh nope. You see our streets aren't wide, and have nice tight right angle turns for days lol. Luckily I have the ol' Gladiator so I told him I could meet him. I met him a few miles down the road, made him wait while I inspected the crate (which he was happy to do as I saved him a trip back south for a smaller truck) and he was on his way.
Once home I immediately tore into the stand to build. I'll just say, starting off I was cussing the small living room out as the pieces were sprawled all over. But really, a super simple build. and sturdy! Once that was built my wife helped me with setting the tank on top and I tackled the plumbing and sump area. I revised my plan a bit and put the power strip on the righthand side in the back for better access. It also allows for mounting power supplies next to it to keep them off the floor. I'll be scaping this evening and doing wire management before the fill this weekend. I'm setting up the skimmer and doser at that time as well. Onward!

Attachments

• 20220310_224848.jpg
    20220310_224848.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 20220310_224735.jpg
    20220310_224735.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 122
  • 20220310_225242.jpg
    20220310_225242.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 20220310_125233.jpg
    20220310_125233.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 105

Leisuretron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everybody! I'm currently waiting on delivery of my new Red Sea 170 I ordered. I will be stepping up from my current Fluval Flex 9 I've had running for almost 5 months. Why you ask? Well, the wife was tired of looking at the Betta tank (Fluval Flex 15 w/Stand) in the livingroom and thought it was boring. The little tank in the bedroom with the pretty colors has grown on her. So, with her seeming on board, I pulled the trigger. Here is the equipment list for the new build so far:

Equipment:

AI Nero 3 Wavemaker
Hygger Mini Wavemaker
Caribsea Liferock Arches
20 pounds of Caribsea Agra-Alive Pink Fiji Sand (may pick up another 10lbs this week)
5 gallon slim line Advanced Acrylics ATO Reservoir to top off instead of 1.5 gallon that comes with RSR 170
jbj Nano ATO

The Plan:

I will be making RO DI water tonight and tomorrow (40 Gallons). The tank is getting delivered on Thursday. I'm planning on setting up the stand and tank on Thursday evening. Friday I will be adding the new sand and new Liferock and scaping Friday evening. I plan to mix the Saltwater saturday morning for an afternoon start at filling the tank. Any suggestions for the fill would be appreciated, this will be my first sump system. After the fill, I plan on letting it run a couple of days to come to temperature and to break in the skimmer a bit. I'm contemplating adding some of the fritz bacteria I have left in the fridge just to start the bacteria populating. I will be transferring the rock and some of the sand from the Fluval over at the same time as the coral, (1) fish and the clean up crew. This will be most likely mid week next week. Please help this Noob out on my journey, you've gotten me this far! :D

Here is my cabinet layout plan, I've decided to mount the surge strip on the outside since I made this, I like the access to the switches better that way.

Onward!

Equipment:

AI Nero 3 Wavemaker
Hygger Mini Wavemaker
Caribsea Liferock Arches
jbj Nano ATO

The Plan:

Onward!

Totally watching!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back