The benefits of a sea hare: To any reefer with green hair algae

itsken37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I have come to inform you all about the benefits of a sea hare. To start things off, I have had a problem with GHA (green hair algae) for the past 5 months. I looked into all sorts of hair algae eaters such as different inverts and fish. I looked into all sorts of tangs and blennies and crabs and snails and everything out there before concluding with a sea hare. I was a little weary because of the price ($30) because of all the tangs and such that cost around $100-$200. I talked to fellow reefers at some stores in Denver and they mostly recommended a sea hare or turbo snails. Upon buying the hare it went after the algae immediately and I could see the effects soon after. Now 1 1/2 weeks with this little invert in my tank I am sure to say that it is a 10/10 recommendation for anyone. There is only one con to this animal. Mine does not like to get up on one of my rocks. But as we are all reefers, we know that every animal is different and other sea hares might not be like this. I might do some before/after photos soon so that you all can see the difference it made. They are good creatures and I would recommend them to anyone with green hair algae in a heartbeat.

20210120_065906.jpg
20210120_065943.jpg

LizzDregne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will second your recommendation: Sea Hare was amazing on the green hair algae. What's more, now that Sea Hare ate the algae, it's not growing back where he has grazed over it. He eats a lot of algae, so be sure you have a plan for when he's done so he does not starve once it's all gone.

OP
OP
itsken37

itsken37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will second your recommendation: Sea Hare was amazing on the green hair algae. What's more, now that Sea Hare ate the algae, it's not growing back where he has grazed over it. He eats a lot of algae, so be sure you have a plan for when he's done so he does not starve once it's all gone.
I do have a plan for what to do with it and that is exactly what happened to me.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back