The BEST and WORST zoanthids (zoas) of all time! This is what we think about it!

Is the Grand Master Krakatoa Zoa the best zoanthid of all time?

• YES

Votes: 47 17.3%
  • NO (tell us what is)

Votes: 134 49.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 91 33.5%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just LOVE zoas, but I don't love them all! Matter of fact some zoanthids I just loathe! We're going to continue talking zoanthids today and we would love to have your input on this topic!

1. Is the Grand Master Krakatoa Zoa the best zoanthid of all time? If not then what is?

2. What is the WORST zoanthid to have in your reef and why is that?

Untitled-2 copy.jpg

Images via @Living Reef Orlando (grand master krakatoa zoa) and @A Reefer's Girlfriend (Texas trash)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the Candy Apples and Tangerine Dreams over the Grand Master Krak. However I’ll settle for whatever zoa makes it past my 4’ tank’s inhabitants.

As for worst zoa… Ones that just burst into growth right off the bat and don’t take their time to spread.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know a favorite zoa as I love so many of them. So many amazing color combinations. I will say, some color nicely in my tank some look rather bland. I do not run high blues generally.
I do hate many palys though. especially the texas trash mentioned above and many of the green as they just show up tan in my system. Some of the pink and orange do the same for me.

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what the best zoa would be, but these Sun Eaters of mine are the worst. Even in heavy blues I wasn't able to get them to look that great, now they've taken up a lot of real estate and annoy me. Can't even remove the rock because it holds too much together :(

Stupid Sun Eaters, you looked so pretty on the website yet you betray me
PXL_20220809_153455668.jpg

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink diamonds and pink zippers are probably some of my favorites.

I really hate buying them online as pics can be very deceiving. That goes with all coral but imo especially zoas and palys as your buying the macro photography.

Some crappy pics I snapped zoomed in through dirty glass
0106E5DE-37C2-4B2A-ABD7-3806ADD91609.jpeg
04C22D21-978A-4510-BDFF-F04016BB5908.jpeg

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Rudy broke the system with the GMKs. In my opinion they’re akin to NFTs and Cryto currency at large. Are they pretty? Certainly, were they ever worth $1300pp? Likely not.

Best zoa of all time? Likely utter chaos followed closely by rastas. Are these my favorite? No, but they’re high on that list and have done well by thousands and thousands of reef keepers.

Worst zoa of all time? Likely nirvanas and not solely because they get out of control. There was a time in 2017 or maybe 2018 when people were trying to huck them for $100pp or more.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20220630_201906022~2.jpg

I collect as many as I can. GMKs melt, Pandoras take over. But they are all nice for a while.
Beautiful Collection! I have 2 mini GMKs melted on me as well. Both start out as a single polyp; grew to over 10 polyps in about 7 months then just melted within week. Everything else in the tank are thriving so I am not sure what caused it

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful Collection! I have 2 mini GMKs melted on me as well. Both start out as a single polyp; grew to over 10 polyps in about 7 months then just melted within week. Everything else in the tank are thriving so I am not sure what caused it
Thank you. That is about 25% of my collection.Same here. Got 4 polyps, doubled in 6 weeks, then melted. But, they were nice for a while. There are many different ones out there, certainly for less.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just LOVE zoas, but I don't love them all! Matter of fact some zoanthids I just loathe! We're going to continue talking zoanthids today and we would love to have your input on this topic!

1. Is the Grand Master Krakatoa Zoa the best zoanthid of all time? If not then what is?

2. What is the WORST zoanthid to have in your reef and why is that?

Untitled-2 copy.jpg

Images via @Living Reef Orlando (grand master krakatoa zoa) and @A Reefer's Girlfriend (Texas trash)
Best zoa of all time??

Hard to decide for me but I'd put several in my top 10... in no particular order:

Acid Trips
Solar Circus
Rainbow Eclipse
Utter Chaos
Llama Snacks
Anti Matter
Grim Reapers
Hephaestus
Buttmuncher
Predator

Worse zoa?
GMK

Mostly GMK is like the only zoa I know off that one day will just decide to melt for no apparent reason. Like 50 different zoa, acros etc in the tank and GMK is just like "meh not today..."

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back