The best "consumer" cleaning product for cleaning reef tank equipment is....

BRS

What is the best "cleaning product" or home recipe for cleaning reef tank equipment?

• Water and scrubbing

Votes: 83 13.2%
  • Citric Acid

Votes: 305 48.6%
  • Vinegar

Votes: 194 30.9%
  • Hydrogen peroxide

Votes: 17 2.7%
  • Lemon Juice

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 26 4.1%

• Total voters

DHill6

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Royal Exclusive says to use de-chlorinator like the stuff they use for cleaning coffee pots. They don’t want you to use citric acid or any acids

rui.manuel.gaspar

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hello all,

Muriatic acid for me. 1:10 acid:tap water.
For everything. Usually I just put the pumps in working for 10/15m and done. More times than not I just need to pass the pumps in running tap water to remove everything without having to scrub.

Just beware of the fumes it releases when you open and pour from the bottle.

Left pump for weeks in there with no visible problem. Tunze pumps that are still running after 5y.

All the best,
Rui

Mr.ReefSafe

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
1. What is the best "consumer" cleaning product for cleaning reef tank equipment?

I like Citric Acid. I get it in bulk so it is very cheap. It is easy to use, has no smell and works very fast, when I need it to work faster. A little powder goes a long way, a lot of powder goes even longer, much faster!

2. What is something you SHOULD NOT clean aquarium equipment with?

I won't use vinegar to clean any pumps, metals or anything with moving parts. IfI were to clean an old tank I would use it is I didn't have any Citric Acid on hand, but thats not likely.

Muriatic acid. I know it works great, I use it on a daily basis with my job, and I would never recommend anyone use it on aquariums/equipment. Yes it will clean well, but it is caustic and dangerous without the proper handing equipment. People think is is safe because is is a"weaker" acid, but i have had employees burn their lungs not handling it correctly. Unless you use the stuff right and have an actual breathing mask and long rubber gloves, IT IS NOT WORTH THE RISK!

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
1. What is the best "consumer" cleaning product for cleaning reef tank equipment?

I like Citric Acid. I get it in bulk so it is very cheap. It is easy to use, has no smell and works very fast, when I need it to work faster. A little powder goes a long way, a lot of powder goes even longer, much faster!

I won't use vinegar to clean any pumps, metals or anything with moving parts. IfI were to clean an old tank I would use it is I didn't have any Citric Acid on hand, but thats not likely.

Muriatic acid. I know it works great, I use it on a daily basis with my job, and I would never recommend anyone use it on aquariums/equipment. Yes it will clean well, but it is caustic and dangerous without the proper handing equipment. People think is is safe because is is a"weaker" acid, but i have had employees burn their lungs not handling it correctly. Unless you use the stuff right and have an actual breathing mask and long rubber gloves, IT IS NOT WORTH THE RISK!

I completely agree. I have years of experience using muriatic acid and still hesitate. I ONLY use it as a last resort on rock. I never use it on anything else aquarium related.

srad750c

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I completely agree. I have years of experience using muriatic acid and still hesitate. I ONLY use it as a last resort on rock. I never use it on anything else aquarium related.
I still use it for my once a year cleaning but I use gloves, safety glasses and do it outdoors. Great tip to use a respirator. I have to get one of those.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I still use it for my once a year cleaning but I use gloves, safety glasses and do it outdoors. Great tip to use a respirator. I have to get one of those.

Lookup RZ mask. I love mine.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I use about a cup in my 2 gallon cereal container when doing power heads and small stuff. I put the lid on, run the cords out of the pour spout and turn them on and leave them for about an hour then rinse. Simple and effective.

When I did my sump, I filled it up and put 6 cups in. Lots weaker but, I scrubbed with a terry cloth towel as well as ran three power heads while it soaked.

BiggestE22

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Thank you @blaxsun for the QOTD idea!

Saltwater aquarium equipment gets dirty pretty quick. Beyond dirty though you get algae build up like coralline algae that needs to be removed regular and can be quite the bugger at removing! So what's the best way to clean it and still make sure it's safe? Let's do this thing!

image via @eggie
Picture013.jpg
Use citric. Supposed to have a pleasant smell. Yet it has no smell at all

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Vinegar and Citric acid both work fine for basic cleaning of your tank equipment.

However as I learned Vinegar will destroy any plastic Covered Metal parts (ie Impellers) since the Vinegar Molecules pass thru the Plastic and make their way to the Metal and the result is a swollen Impeller that can burn out your pump.

For years I was replacing Impellers on my Skimmer. They would only last for a couple of years.
When I switched to Citric Acid, those same impellers have not swollen any more.

Here are more details

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/i...cid-as-i-type-this.779945/page-2#post-8265567

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I'm confused can someone explain how vinegar would be bad for rubber but not citric acid, that has a lower ph? Any acid will eat away at rubber Id hardly state that as a reason for not using vinegar.
Read above Post.

Toys For Kids Drive

Untitled-2 copy.jpg

BRS

Have you ever had a nano reef tank?

• I have one now (leave a photo in the thread)

Votes: 168 48.3%
  • Yes, but in the past

Votes: 75 21.6%
  • No and no plans to have one

Votes: 54 15.5%
  • No but I want to have one in the future

Votes: 45 12.9%
  • Other

Votes: 6 1.7%
Omega Sea, LLC