The BEST country to be a reef aquarium hobbyist in is......and what state?

Do you live in the BEST country to be a reef aquarium hobbyist?

• Yes

Votes: 260 61.6%
  • No

Votes: 148 35.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 14 3.3%

• Total voters

adobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's have some fun and talk about what the best country to be a reef aquarium hobbyist in is and why!

1. What country do you think is the best country to be a reef aquarium hobbyist in and why?

2. If you chose the USA then what state do you think is the best state for reef aquariums and why?

3. Where do you live and how many local hobbyists do you know personally that live around you?

world wide reefers community.jpg

I would say the US is a great place to be a reef keeper. Several reasons,
  • we have access to the best gear available
  • we usually have the most affordable pricing
  • there are usually many decent choices for LFS
  • online retailers who can ship at reasonable prices can ship to the lower 48

The US though is too large to be characterized in one way. The experience of people in large metropolitan areas vs those who live in rural communities is vastly different (which also is a big reason for a lot of our political differences). I would say that if I lived in the mid-west, I would elevate reef keeping in terms of priority as my choices for recreational activities would be more limited. Whereas if I lived in south Florida or Hawaii, I would not even bother keeping a reef tank - the real thing is just a stone's throw away.

DrewBR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to say it's either the USA or Asia. I live in Brazil and everything here is remarcably expensive. We get things for 8x markups here due to import taxes and low currency values. A lot of things that are trivial for a hobbyist in the US are a luxury to us.

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in NC and have at least 7 great LFS within 2 hours of me, 2 right down the road, and a great community for someone like me who’s just starting out in the hobby. Bet it’s a bit cheaper in other parts of the world though!

rusgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Russia, but I think that the most fanatical in this hobby are the Americans. In Europe, they are Italians

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not going to say which country is the best because there are too many categories to pick from. Germany (Europe in general) has the best colonies, they let things grow out but their coral are more of the old school common types. Here in USA, we are sooo greedy, our colonies stay as frags but they are the most eye popping colorful in the world. In Asia, they are closer to natural reefs so it's cheaper there and easier to get coral and fish. There are sooo many other things to consider, such as import laws, weather, the dense of hobbyists within reasonable radius that can offer to help, and etc when it comes to "best" countries. So the best country is all relative.

As for within USA, again same thing but little bit less categories. In California, for example, at leasts during the 2000s, 80% of live stock came through LAX and local wholesales. Local LFSs pretty much had up front in person first picks before they were shipped out to the rest of the country. If that's still the case these days, CA could be consider as best state. So many things to consider.

BobFageUK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
America :) because i’m living in Sweden and most reef stuff is much more expensive here than for example America. Importing things from America is like $90 shipping plus VAT, and it takes 1 month for package to arrive
I know the feeling, living in the United Kingdom everything is top dollar .. it it comes from USA or Canada it is expensive, but then it is expensive even if it comes from the UK. Few shops and a lot do not carry much. I have a new 5" clam coming Thursday £145.00 that is a lot of money.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to sound spoiled by saying this being a Floridian... but I'll vote Australia. Where else in the entire world do you have the Great Barrier Reef in your back yard for inspiration? Better yet, How about Reefers Without Borders? Isn't that what this forum is all about? Share the beauty from everywhere in the world.

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Central Florida. I have lived in Georgia, Virginia, Maryland, have visited several other states and have been to several countries. I would have to say for overall support and selection, the things i have experienced in the US have been best. Many innovations and tech break throughs have come from over seas and a lot of the more exotic fish/coral seem to be more common elsewhere (without the worldwide collaboration, we wouldnt be where we are)...but overall, i think the US has the best mix of all of it.

And of all the places i have been in the US, central and south Florida have been the best for selection and quality.

BobFageUK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been fortunate and travelled the world in my 71 years and while my home is the United Kingdom I have worked in the US or A and travelled as far as Australia, all of Europe most of the middle East and far Easy, USA and Canada plus cruised a lot of places. Going through the Panama Canal was out of this world with North America on my left and South America on my right (in a cabin at the back of the ship) food the USA has so much choice (junk food) it is the King. The Far East is as good but in the best of what they do. But when it comes to the hobby the United Kingdom is very lacking. Lots of tropical fish shops but few reef or marine outfits. They are always an add on. The only good thing is Red Sea are in the UK. But we do not have many places to swap frags other than store credit. But I am new only having had a tank for 11 months, found it hard at times and very poor from the costs so I have to say it has to be the USA that would be the tops for me. You seems to have better networks of groups and people local to each other so I would vote USA.

Blknovass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live just out side of Chicago Illinois and there are so many shops around Chicago area that if I can’t find what I’m looking for all I have to do it order it. Now yes you are going to pay for it but as far as I’m concerned there is nothing I can’t get cause I’m located in the Midwest.

View Badges
I live in Canada, the supply chain is not as good as the US, the LFS struggle getting unique fish that are current in US, the price is higher, and there is a ban of fish meds... I just wish live aquaria, wwc or other online retailers could ship to Canada, from an outsider point of view Florida’s seems to be the go to state

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What country do you think is the best country to be a reef aquarium hobbyist in and why? USA - You can buy stuff from BRS, and get fast cheap shipping.

2. If you chose the USA then what state do you think is the best state for reef aquariums and why? I like Michigan just for the following reasons:

a.) No Earthquakes, Hurricanes, Very few Tornados so not super likely too loose power for long. Occasional Ice storm but usually power is only out for a short amount of time in which a generator can get you through no problem.
b.) Summers go by so fast a lot of Michiganders are spending their free time not focused on their tanks. Gives you a few month respite to let your tank do its thing and not constantly watch agonizing over growth. Instead check back 3-4 months later and frags are encrusted and doing nicely out of nowhere.

c.) Winter brings people indoors and allows you to work on anything tank wise you need to do. Also Frag swaps start up in full force, give you a opportunity to get out of the house and interact with fellow hobbyists. I will say with Winter it gives you an extra appreciation for your reef tank. Almost like a little getaway from the cold and dark winters.

3. Where do you live and how many local hobbyists do you know personally that live around you? I live in Holt, Michigan. I'd say I know a few personally that live close by but not a ton of reefers in my area. However there is a strong online club community and plenty of people to interact with that are within a 2 hr drive.

luisgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Puerto Rico. Love the island for keeping a reef tank. First there are a lot of nice places to watch sea live. NSW available close. Prices for corals and fish are lower than in continental US. Lot of nice stores. Higher shipping cost but lower margin for store owners. We are a US territory with excellent USPS service. For large items is a little more expensive due to higher shipping cost. What I don’t like is hurricanes, power outages from time to time, higher cost of electricity. You need a chiller for ten months of the year.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 128 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back