The best critter to solve your diatom problems on your sandbed!?

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers!

I have been in the hobby for about 2 years now and diatoms have always been the most common issue in my tanks. Even with minimal nutrients, diatoms can persist in my reef tank. It's not that they are a huge issue, but it can be very unsightly when its blanketed across your sand bed.

I bought a Tiger Conch, hoping it would at least stir up my sand bed a little bit... but to my amazement, it absolutely feasted on the diatoms. It would constantly park itself in front of a huge patch of diatoms, and extend its trunk like a lawnmower...leaving my sand bed sparkly white.

I will be buying two more Tiger conchs to add to my 65 gallon. I'am very picky about my clean up crew and these guys are just plain awesome.. Completely reef safe, oxygenate your sand band, and EAT DIATOMS.

Anyone else had success with the Tiger Conch eating various types of algae/diatoms?

Hope this was helpful :)

-Brian G.

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add more snails but ultimately it isn’t normal to have diatoms en mass for a long period. I think most of us go through some from amount of diatoms from time to time.

Figure out how to dial in your tank and you will do better long term. The common recommendations Include reducing nutrients, reducing lighting hours, and dramatically increasing water flow.

If you don’t have a good rodi water, fix that as well because high silicates feed diatoms. In fact, eliminating water changes for a month or two can do wonders for diatoms if your water is the source of your problems. I’ve experienced this myself.

You have to have all of the above in check for a period for diatom issues to resolve themselves but it works.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fighting conchs devoured diatoms when I first setup the new tank. Agreed with above, diatoms usually phase out pretty quickly so if it's a recurring problem, you may have an issue with your source water.

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the previous comments. I have just increased my lighting pretty significantly, so I'm sure this is the cause for the rise in diatoms. As I stated before, I have minimal nutrients in my tank, so I don't believe chemistry is the cause here.

Overall, I just wanted to relay some anecdotal evidence that Tiger Conchs are great for short term diatom treatment and sand bed oxygenation. I've yet to come across another clean up crew member that has an appetite for diatoms.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back