The best/easiest to use Nitrate tester

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Nyos No3 simple and easy to read
Get the Nyos. It’s 2min longer than the Salifert, but tests up to 160 and is way easier to read IMHO. I also have the Red Sea, but I’m not a fan of the 9min test time or the fact that it only goes up to 50.

OP
OP
reefsaver

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the Nyos. It’s 2min longer than the Salifert, but tests up to 160 and is way easier to read IMHO. I also have the Red Sea, but I’m not a fan of the 9min test time or the fact that it only goes up to 50.
I use the RedSea Multitestkit too but I would love to pay some brand for some kind of Neptune System on Steroids where it'll give you active water parameters all the time with probes and stuff in the sump. I was talking to my LFS guy and he said the only parameter you can't really actively test with probes is phosphorus.
I also got some Toxic GSP frags today x)

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are other types of colorimeters. That measure a broad range of elements not just nitrate. The reagents for them are not cheap, and the unit itself can go over 1000$ range easy.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the RedSea Multitestkit too but I would love to pay some brand for some kind of Neptune System on Steroids where it'll give you active water parameters all the time with probes and stuff in the sump. I was talking to my LFS guy and he said the only parameter you can't really actively test with probes is phosphorus.
I also got some Toxic GSP frags today x)
Yeah, I'd be super stoked with this as well. Right now phosphates and nitrates would be the "must have" parameters. A redesigned and expanded Trident with additional reagents would be slick (maybe test for trace elements as the 3rd reagent).

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can we choose a good tester without a tank water sample and two or three kits showing a reading off the sample, benchmarked against whatever the chemists feel is the most accurate reader we have access to?

of all stated params nitrate is the most varying among the few nitrate comparison posts, am talking huge disparity between basic kits like Red Sea and api nitrate and salifert on some of the comparison posts for nitrate

I want to know which kits align on readings with whatever today’s best digital or most expensive kit/accepted as best by chemists

Last edited:
OP
OP
reefsaver

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can we choose a good tester without a tank water sample and two or three kits showing a reading off the sample, benchmarked against whatever the chemists feel is the most accurate reader we have access to?

of all stated params the nitrate is the most varying among the few nitrate comparison posts, am talking huge disparity between basic kits like Red Sea and api nitrate and salifert on some of the comparison posts for nitrate

I want to know which kits align on readings with whatever today’s best digital or most expensive kit/accepted as best by chemists
It would be cool to see what kit gives the aquarist the most accurate parameter checks, I think some have their pro's and cons or slight differences.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna LR Nitrate is supposedly very accurate, and while I do have it I think it’s prone to (at least in my case) too much user error - which could drastically change the results.

In terms of the best test kit, having used the Hanna, Salifert, AquaForest, Red Sea and Nyos - the Nyos has the best detection range and is the clearest in terms of determining an actual level. The only way to determine the most accurate would be to test all the kits at the same time and then send a water sample to ICP as well.

For me, as long as the reading is close - I’m happier than a clam.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert: 3min test time, up to 100 range (hardest to gauge)
Red Sea: 9min test time, up to 50 range
Nyos: 5min test time, up to 160 range (easiest to gauge)
Hanna LR: ~15min test time, low-range (can dilute for HR though), but absolute nightmare to do

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got notice that the new hanna high range nitrate checker just shipped(thanks @MarineDepot !). Curious to see how it works out with just the one reagent pack.

I typically run in the 10 to 12 range so it's perfect(if it works well?) for guys wo run higher nutrient tanks. Should be quite a bit easier to use then diluting the LR kit(I could never get a consistent reading doing it that way).

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got notice that the new hanna high range nitrate checker just shipped(thanks @MarineDepot !). Curious to see how it works out with just the one reagent pack.

I typically run in the 10 to 12 range so it's perfect(if it works well?) for guys wo run higher nutrient tanks. Should be quite a bit easier to use then diluting the LR kit(I could never get a consistent reading doing it that way).
Just got mine in mail today :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 66

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So super excited to use new nitrate tester opened it up to find a dead fly in one of the new vials that came with caps on them. Pretty funny Smh

image.jpg image.jpg 178CB087-8C0B-4090-8CE2-1C533188A8B3.jpeg

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first impression is I wish Hanna would fix the 10ml line on the vials. I use multiple syringes measured at 10ml and this is always how full 10ml is. As you see it’s over the line. Anyways I know this is not a Hanna nitrate tester thread but chiefifd asked about my thoughts

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 54

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nyos over rs unless you need super low range. The problem with low range RS kit is that the kit has 2-3 usable bands and you have to dilute till you fall into one so it can take 30min+ to test and take 3-4 shots to find your range.
Also agree on the Hanna vials, they have a new design but at $4 a vial you would think they could get the line correct

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back