The BEST eradicator of the evil Aiptasia Anemone!

THE MOST successful way to eradicate aiptasia anemones?

• Aiptasia X

Votes: 89 11.2%
  • Peppermint Shrimp

Votes: 161 20.2%
  • Hand Removal

Votes: 16 2.0%
  • Laser

Votes: 12 1.5%
  • Superglue

Votes: 25 3.1%
  • Berghia Nudibranch

Votes: 143 17.9%
  • Rock Removal and clean

Votes: 17 2.1%
  • Lemon Juice

• F-Aiptasia

Votes: 64 8.0%
  • Kalk Injection

Votes: 32 4.0%
  • Filefish

Votes: 68 8.5%
  • Copperband Butterfly Fish

Votes: 64 8.0%
  • Other Livestock (please explain in a post)

Votes: 16 2.0%
  • Other Product (please explain in the thread)

• I've had no success

Votes: 67 8.4%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We've talked many times about how to kill, eradicate aiptasia anemones in our reef tanks. They seem to appear from nowhere and reproduce at a rapid rate so knowing how to get rid of them quickly is pretty crucial. I've put together a list, from a previous thread, and I would like for you to vote for your chosen method that is PROVEN to work for you!

1. In your experience what is the number one, best way, to get rid of aiptasia anemones?

2. What preventive measures do you take to make sure that you don't introduce aiptasia to your tank?

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the best method above all:

the reason its not popular: it takes work, not a purchase, and reefers detest doing tank work. they actually want to keep aiptasia more than they want to do the work of simply removing the first one they see. aiptasia is literally the simplest invader of them all to cure.

here's what to do: when you see one, do opposite of your inclinations which is a bunch of kid gloving playing around that will make more aiptasias. click on the link, run the actions, post the empty aiptasia spot in the link.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the success rate above is 100%

*notice the actions list of future tanks coming up, and how polar opposite they are to surgically removing aiptasia in one pass without any wait.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's an excuse list that is 100% part of every tank's aiptasia invasion:

1. my tank is too big to handle in the ways above, I have to handle it via injections and partial action (tank too big)
2. my rock scape is glued down, I can't do the above action. (prefers aiptasia over glue work)
3. I did not know of the option
4. I tried past injections, got 15 new aiptasias, so I doubt this method.

Last edited:

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pretty bad outbreak in a tank a while back. I tried the nudibranch first and no luck. Next was peppermint shrimp which also did nothing. Finally I tried a copperband butterfly and it eradicated the infestation immediately upon entering my tank. I always felt the aiptasia were what helped me keep the fish for so long (6 years) . It had a natural food source to use while it learned to eat the other stuff I fed the tank.

34gallonSolana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used both Peppermint Shrimp and Berghia Nudibranch both work great but with the peppermint shrimp the aiptasia came back it took months before it did maybe over six months or so. With the nudibranch my understanding is that it is completely eradicated time will tell. Of the two I think I would use the nudibranch again if I had to.

McDrummondJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen one of my turbo snails eat them when they are small. I have also seen my blue banded hermit crab eat them, and I also have peppermint shrimp. Between these three I went from well over 50 small baby aiptasia to 0. This was well over month-and-a-half ago and I haven't seen any since.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used both Peppermint Shrimp and Berghia Nudibranch both work great but with the peppermint shrimp the aiptasia came back it took months before it did maybe over six months or so. With the nudibranch my understanding is that it is completely eradicated time will tell. Of the two I think I would use the nudibranch again if I had to.
With the nudibranch, gone means gone. When they eat the Aiptasia, the Aiptasia does not spread. The chemical composition of their saliva does something to cause the Aiptasia not to discharge/trigger their nematocysts.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P
1. In your experience what is the number one, best way, to get rid of aiptasia anemones?
I try to give them away to others so they don’t multiply in my tank.

2. What preventive measures do you take to make sure that you don't introduce aiptasia to your tank?

I look over new rocks and frags, remove frag plugs just because but they still sneak in somehow?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one way ever worked for me. It needs a team approach.

6 berghia, Large bottle of Aptasia-x, one stick epoxy, and a TON of patience.

Took almost a year.

I screen everything now......no exceptions.

34gallonSolana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the nudibranch, gone means gone. When they eat the Aiptasia, the Aiptasia does not spread. The chemical composition of their saliva does something to cause the Aiptasia not to discharge/trigger their nematocysts.
Yes that's what I read and I'm hoping for. Thanks,

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last system caught a terrible plague of aptasia early on. I removed as much as I could manually, but there was simply too much as it was 180 gallon system. It was everywhere. I tried peppermint shrimp. They didn't make a noticeable difference for me. Never tried nudibranches.

I got 1 filefish from liveaquaria, put him in, and one week later I walked up to the thank and was like "where's that huge aptasia that's always on the front of that rock?" Then I started looking around.. the aptasia was completely gone. Blew my mind. Still hard to believe today, but it completely eradicated them. The only problem was, about 3 months after having him, he'd eaten literally every last one of them, and he began to starve :/

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back