The BEST way to clean "submerged" dirty aquarium equipment?

How often do you clean your "submerged" types of equipment?

• Weekly

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • Monthly

Votes: 132 19.3%
  • Quarterly

Votes: 278 40.6%
  • Yearly

Votes: 103 15.1%
  • Only when they quit working

Votes: 99 14.5%
  • Never

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 25 3.7%

• Total voters

DanSavesTheDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol I just cleaned my gyre after a year so I voted for that but it got way too messy so I am gonna do it quarterly from now on. It was causing micro bubbles even though it wasn't visibly pushing any out so definitely wanted to avoid that.

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, I clean mine infrequently. However, I cleaned my Gyre 1K last week after 9 months in the tank. I didn't want to use vinegar but had no citric acid. But I did have concentrated lemon juice. Used it 1 to 4 in RO/DI water and it worked great. Very little brushing at all.

RudyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean most of my pumps monthly. For the power heads I put in a 5 gallon bucket with citric acid and run them for a few hours. I also throw in my coffee filter and anything else that could use a good cleaning. I mix a little strong so everything quickly and easily wipes right off. Coralline algae becomes gross and slimy and wipes off with a rag. Quick rinse and back in the tank it goes.
I am with you. But I usually go quarterly. A 5 gal bucket and a few hours one pump at a time and it is done. One note, If you use RO/DI water that you make for your tank for your coffee machine you will never have to de-scale it. Pluss it makes really good coffee.:)

Popkorn0407

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean whit muturanic acid 5 min 1 for 5 each mouth keep all the flow nice and it dont take me alot of time.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said quarterly but that's really only for my Tunze 6105s. And it's more general than anything. The Stream 3 (6150) gets clean about every 6 months or less (Tunze recommends annual cleaning). I've got a gyre but haven't clean it yet (it's covered in coralline so I should probably clean it soon). ATO sensor gets wiped with my finger or toothbrush every year or so. It's going strong after 10 years. Amazing little product.

Skimmer pump and return pumps get cleaned about twice a year. I'm going to check on this sicce pump clean. Have used vinegar for ages though I understand it's not the best for the motor blocks, etc.

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever stuff starts making noise. So my powerheads get cleaned every 3 or 4 months or so. My return pump went 1.5 years without cleaning and was NASTY. Was still dead silent thought, just though it wouldn't hurt cleaning it lol.

gfox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know off hand what is in Sicce Pump Clean.I have been using vinegar also for years and always dread the smell it leaves in the house

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunk mine in a 50-50 solution muriatic acid and water for a minute once a month, then dunk in tap water, then back in the tank- no scrubbing and little time. If I let it go for longer than a month I might have to break out the toothbrush.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vortech pumps monthly
But return pump/skimmer pump and UV/manifold pump more like 3-6months

Citric acid soak and a cheap toothbrush

gfox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the best place to buy citric acid?I see BRS sells it.Gotta be cheaper places that sell it.

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean my Gyres quarterly. They came with an extra set of impellers and cages. I swap out for a clean set and then clean the dirty set at leisure. Usually just a soak in fresh water and some scrubbing, but I might try the citric acid.

For the return pumps (COR-20’s), I monitor the power, RPM and temp and only clean them if and when I see a deterioration in performance. Then I clean one while leaving the other running to provide some flow. Again, just scrubbing and water.

I have yet to clean the BlueLine 30HDX that feeds the skimmer - almost 2 full years. I clean the pump and chamber for the ATO once per year.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed the water level on my Reefer 250 has lowered slightly in the display. That means the return pump isn't at full blast. Goin to have to clean it. I have to wait until the ATO tank empty's to remove it. Turned wave up some in the mean time. Thanks for reminding me rev.

Tugbtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man it sure doesn't take long for your pumps, skimmers, powerheads and all the other equipment that is usually under water to get dirty, covered in algae and coraline etc. Most of the time you need this equipment going at all times and can't have it off-line for too long. So today let's talk about all the ways you have found that works best and fastest when it comes to cleaning your equipment!

1. What are the best ways you have found to clean your "submerged" types of equipment?

2. What are any specific tools that make the cleaning job easier?

image via @eggie
Picture002.jpg
Have or have you heard of anyone trying Alka seltzer just curious I'm in the planning stages of a tank now so I'm trying to gain as much knowledge as I can

kevin318

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do weekly, monthly, and quarterly maintenance on different things but main pump, skimmer pump, and power heads get disassembled and cleaned with citric acid every quarter. I actually have to turn my powerheads down after cleaning them and the skimmer definitely work better after a good cleaning.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back