The Betta Fish discussion filtered tank or not? which is better?

Jennifer Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as an Aquarist I view the situation as EVERY fish needs a filter, I have a betta in a 5 gallon tank, he seems happy though he doesnt make bubble nests all that often (its fully cycled -seeded it from my 60 and 45 gallon tanks)

I work at a petstore some of my coworkers think leaving a betta in a 1-2.5 gallon bowl without filter is just fine and that the betta prefers this since they dont like fast moving water, and that you just do a weekly partial or full water change.

Am I completely wrong to think you should have a filter? I see bettas in those tiny cups of water blowing bubble nests, and my betta in a 5 gallon filtered tank not blowing bubble nests....WHATS THE DEAL?! should I cave and put him in a 1 gallon bowl? (the tank has a heater as well)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no one answer for this. It is true that they don't like flow, but a small filter that is not strong can be tolerated if there is space for them to find an area w/o flow. Plants could also serve as a type of filter w/o filtering hardware.

However, I have also kept them on plenty of occassions w/o a filter at all. And when I bred I wouldn't use a filter.

Some bettas are more likely to make a bubble nest when kept singly than others. If a male can see a female but can't get to her, he will try for up to 3 days to get to her, and then start working on his nest.

Diet and temp can also factor as well. Bettas prefer warmer water(80 degree range), rather than room temp. Feeding frozen, or even better live food can also get them going. We are entering mosquito larva season and they make a suberb addition to a betta diet.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't think it matters as long as the water is changed out on a regular basis. The large, regular changes are removing what the filter would, on a day to day basis). I have seem them kept in fully stocked, large planted tanks as well as (much) smaller, unfiltered tanks.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back