The BIGGEST challenges to keeping a coral reef in your house!

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by revhtree, Jan 22, 2019.

?
  1. None

18 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Somewhat

337 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. Regularly

427 vote(s)
    41.4%
  4. All The Time

249 vote(s)
    24.2%
  1. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2019 Cyber Monday Sponsor R2R Secret Santa Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

As a keeper of reefs there are certain challenges that we all WILL face from time to time. Those things that challenge us might not be as challenging to others and some things maybe not at all. I wanted to hear your thoughts on the following question.

What are the biggest challenges, FOR YOU, in maintaining a healthy saltwater tank?

Untitled-3.jpg

Ramasule, NY_Caveman and scott11106 like this.

2. DLHDesign

DLHDesign Ex-Noob R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Diligence in the face of a tempestuous life.

That is; doing all the little things every day that keep a tank not just alive, but thriving. That's been my #1 challenge almost from the start - initially because I didn't know the right things to do, eventually because Life got more complicated and the tank took a backseat to other things.

3. d2mini

d2mini Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Biggest challenge to reefers keeping a tank? Their spouse. :D

robottaway, b4tn, Rooneski and 33 others like this.
  4. dansreef

dansreef Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Keeping my hands off and out. I work out of my home office and stare right at my tank all day long. The temptation is to do little things...all the time. I have no problem keeping up with the stuff that needs to be done. I have found that if I can just keep my hands out...and stop messing with other things, the tank actually will do better. Now, unless something is completely amiss, I just leave it alone.

5. justmee

justmee Active Member

Everything... :D

BUT not all at the same time. Things are always different, it's either one thing or another, and basically it's trying to keep a good balance of everything. Sometimes you add fishes to your tank and you find out some fish just can't get along, then you have to figure something out to remedy the problem. Most of the time your water parameters fluctuates because of environmental changes like temperature, humidity, etc., and you try your best to adjust and compensate for the changes. So, I really think it's a constant challenge, and to be in this hobby, you need to enjoy the challenges. :)

6. scott11106

scott11106 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

by far it is not knowing what i dont know. Just when you think you have it covered and things are moving along something else comes up, but to be honest that is also the best part of it.
    One thing i dislike the most in this hobby is the QT process as there should be some system that all living things sold are clean and free of pests or disease prior to sale, i know it might be a pipe dream but it would solve a ton of issues.

Gino, Cory, ot7 and 7 others like this.
  7. Gonebad395

Gonebad395 Anemone hound R2R Supporter

Time when I try to set time aside something comes up work, kids, beer you name it.

Paleozoic_reefer and Ramasule like this.
  8. acer

acer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter 3RMAS Member Build Thread Contributor

For me the difficulty is motivating myself to do tests - just plain lazy. I love everything else - but just hate testing . NO idea why- its not hard, or anything . I just don't like to do it- and its nearly impossible to have a thriving reef tank without testing regularly. If they ever get a system of auto testing that doesn't cost an arm and a leg - I am all in.

9. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

It challenges my patience... my self-control... my determination... my spousal relationship... :)

10. dantimdad

dantimdad Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

Mine is always evaporation and keeping up the temperature. Honestly. Even when I had MH lighting, I have always fought to keep temp above 75. It's insane. I just setup my 93 cube and have 2x200 watt and 2x250 watt heaters running to get it up to temp to add salt and it's stuck at 75.5 degrees. The house is about 68 degrees.

I am certain the evaporation rate has to do with having trouble with temp because evaporative cooling is pretty efficient.

Ramasule, Hemmdog and Ronny Bello like this.
  11. Ronny Bello

Ronny Bello Member

That's my problem right there so I decided to invest in clear acrylic top cut and custom it yourself. That should hold the heat in. I'm buying some today lowest carries some at a reasonable price if you don't want to wait.

Ramasule likes this.
  12. Poseidon03

Poseidon03 Active Member

My biggest challenge is not spending all of my money. There is so much that I want, like an apex, that I have to just wait and save up for.

Cory, Salty Lemon, Ramasule and 7 others like this.
  13. Ronny Bello

Ronny Bello Member

My biggest problem is I never get anything else done cause I'm to busy playing with my aquarium as my wife puts it.

14. dantimdad

dantimdad Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

Been there, done that. Didn't want the T-shirt. Too much upkeep IMO. Plus, I have a 93 cube. It would take 1/2" polycarbonate at least to prevent warping and be incredibly expensive.

Ramasule likes this.
  15. siggy

siggy The more I learn the dumber I become R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

It can gets tense, I wait until shes shopping or out of the house to do large tasks and always to clean the skimmer. Then when she comes home and I forget to light a candle, I blame the dog. Keeping the top-off filled is a constant challenge, or at least it feels that way.

16. C-Reefer

C-Reefer Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

My biggest challenge is definitely QT. It is soooo tempting to skip QT, or do it halfway. Its a lot of work. But when I finally put that batch in, healthy, its all worth it.

siggy and Ramasule like this.
  17. cracker

cracker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

I have 2 tanks a 180 FO & a 75 reef that's driving me nuts! I can't get Ha under control I mean bad Ha ! Also I jut can't seem to keep the water stable. Iv'e been fighting this for 3 years now !;Punch

siggy and Ramasule like this.
  18. BestMomEver

BestMomEver Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

OCD, lack of patience, and excessive worrying.

19. hedgeclipper2

hedgeclipper2 Member

My biggest challenge is travel. My spouse and I travel quite frequently, at least once a month for various trips. I am always worried about the tank, I do have a friend who stops by every day to check on it, but she just doesn't it as well as I do.

Ramasule and Blackice615 like this.
  20. jgvergo

jgvergo Valuable Member R2R Supporter Hudson Valley Reef Keepers Build Thread Contributor

1) Dinos
    2) Trying to make heads or tails from the various R2R threads on controlling Dinos
    3) Did I mention Dinos?

Draft saved Draft deleted