The BIGGEST challenges to keeping a coral reef in your house!

Does your reef tank challenge you in certain ways?

• None

Votes: 18 1.7%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 337 32.7%
  • Regularly

Votes: 427 41.4%
  • All The Time

Votes: 249 24.2%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As a keeper of reefs there are certain challenges that we all WILL face from time to time. Those things that challenge us might not be as challenging to others and some things maybe not at all. I wanted to hear your thoughts on the following question.

What are the biggest challenges, FOR YOU, in maintaining a healthy saltwater tank?

Untitled-3.jpg

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diligence in the face of a tempestuous life.

That is; doing all the little things every day that keep a tank not just alive, but thriving. That's been my #1 challenge almost from the start - initially because I didn't know the right things to do, eventually because Life got more complicated and the tank took a backseat to other things.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping my hands off and out. I work out of my home office and stare right at my tank all day long. The temptation is to do little things...all the time. I have no problem keeping up with the stuff that needs to be done. I have found that if I can just keep my hands out...and stop messing with other things, the tank actually will do better. Now, unless something is completely amiss, I just leave it alone.

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything... :D

BUT not all at the same time. Things are always different, it's either one thing or another, and basically it's trying to keep a good balance of everything. Sometimes you add fishes to your tank and you find out some fish just can't get along, then you have to figure something out to remedy the problem. Most of the time your water parameters fluctuates because of environmental changes like temperature, humidity, etc., and you try your best to adjust and compensate for the changes. So, I really think it's a constant challenge, and to be in this hobby, you need to enjoy the challenges. :)

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
by far it is not knowing what i dont know. Just when you think you have it covered and things are moving along something else comes up, but to be honest that is also the best part of it.
One thing i dislike the most in this hobby is the QT process as there should be some system that all living things sold are clean and free of pests or disease prior to sale, i know it might be a pipe dream but it would solve a ton of issues.

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me the difficulty is motivating myself to do tests - just plain lazy. I love everything else - but just hate testing . NO idea why- its not hard, or anything . I just don't like to do it- and its nearly impossible to have a thriving reef tank without testing regularly. If they ever get a system of auto testing that doesn't cost an arm and a leg - I am all in.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It challenges my patience... my self-control... my determination... my spousal relationship... :)

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is always evaporation and keeping up the temperature. Honestly. Even when I had MH lighting, I have always fought to keep temp above 75. It's insane. I just setup my 93 cube and have 2x200 watt and 2x250 watt heaters running to get it up to temp to add salt and it's stuck at 75.5 degrees. The house is about 68 degrees.

I am certain the evaporation rate has to do with having trouble with temp because evaporative cooling is pretty efficient.

Ronny Bello

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is always evaporation and keeping up the temperature. Honestly. Even when I had MH lighting, I have always fought to keep temp above 75. It's insane. I just setup my 93 cube and have 2x200 watt and 2x250 watt heaters running to get it up to temp to add salt and it's stuck at 75.5 degrees. The house is about 68 degrees.

I am certain the evaporation rate has to do with having trouble with temp because evaporative cooling is pretty efficient.
That's my problem right there so I decided to invest in clear acrylic top cut and custom it yourself. That should hold the heat in. I'm buying some today lowest carries some at a reasonable price if you don't want to wait.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my problem right there so I decided to invest in clear acrylic top cut and custom it yourself. That should hold the heat in. I'm buying some today lowest carries some at a reasonable price if you don't want to wait.

Been there, done that. Didn't want the T-shirt. Too much upkeep IMO. Plus, I have a 93 cube. It would take 1/2" polycarbonate at least to prevent warping and be incredibly expensive.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest challenge to reefer's keeping a tank? Their spouse. :D
It can gets tense, I wait until shes shopping or out of the house to do large tasks and always to clean the skimmer. Then when she comes home and I forget to light a candle, I blame the dog. Keeping the top-off filled is a constant challenge, or at least it feels that way.

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest challenge is definitely QT. It is soooo tempting to skip QT, or do it halfway. Its a lot of work. But when I finally put that batch in, healthy, its all worth it.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 tanks a 180 FO & a 75 reef that's driving me nuts! I can't get Ha under control I mean bad Ha ! Also I jut can't seem to keep the water stable. Iv'e been fighting this for 3 years now !;Punch

hedgeclipper2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest challenge is travel. My spouse and I travel quite frequently, at least once a month for various trips. I am always worried about the tank, I do have a friend who stops by every day to check on it, but she just doesn't it as well as I do.

Back