the "brown acro" grow out experiment

Discussion in 'Boom Corals' started by BoomCorals, Aug 10, 2017.

1. BoomCorals

BoomCorals www.boomcorals.com R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

From this thread here:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/what-characteristics-do-you-look-for-in-acros.318785/

Ok here is the official update and purchase notice.

First off, to buy the coral you follow two steps. But before you do please READ EVERYTHING BELOW.

First, the way my wholesaler did this was a bit different than what I expected. The coral sizes are based upon width x height. So for example a 2" wide coral and 2" tall coral ends up as a 4" colony. And it was a box lot so I paid the same for a large coral as I did a small one, as it simply came out to an average. So here is how I am breaking down the pricing. Remember I am making not much after all these are sold and done. This isn't about the money but to have some fun and introduce you all to Boom Corals!

Small = Roughly 2"-3" size, measured as length times height. $10

Medium = Roughly 3.5" to 4.5" size, measured as length times height. $14

Large = Roughly 5" or larger size, measured as length times height. $20

NO FRAGS this time around sorry. :(

Here are two of the largest as an example:

That said, I know this changes things from what I had promised, but I also ended up paying a bit more than I had expected due to how the sizes measured out that I was given. In addition, take a look at the coral. While there are some "brown" I'm amazed at how many of these do actually show at least some color. Here are some examples:

This one is 3" by 3" - huge!

Another 3" by 3"

Now take a look at the coral in the tank under my lights.

Some are already super hairy polyp and colored like this large one.

1. Visit my site and buy the coral here: https://boomcorals.com/products/brown-coral-colonies **When you buy the coral choose "brown coral shipping" at checkout.** Please note that I can only fit about an average of 8 colonies per box, depending on size. If your order will exceed 1 box I'll work with you to figure it out, or you can pay double shipping for a 2nd box and add more coral etc.

2. AFTER you have placed and paid for your order, PM me with your order number AND your PAYPAL email address so that I can send you an invoice for the shipping. This cost is based upon your location and WILL NOT exceed $60 per box.

Limit 7-8 colonies per box on average. A second box mean you'll pay double shipping. If you exceed a box and don't want a 2nd we can always just cancel a coral or two and I'll refund you!

DOA policy and Order details. First, I'll be picking coral at random, trying to give you a variety of species and color. Second, if you exceed what I can fit in one box I'll let you know and you can decide if you want to do a 2nd box or I can cancel a coral or two and refund them. Last, DOA policy will be 24 hours only. AND these are maricultured corals. So, it's going to be hit or miss. This is a risk you are accepting and you have to understand I will have only had these in my QT tank a week and two dips. I expect you to cut off the base, QT/dip, etc please!! I had originally planned to cut off the base and glue to frags but it's far too much work than I had anticipated. I apologize for the change.

No coral will ship until the week of August 21. And you'll have to work with me on shipping as I can only ship so many in one day.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Tags:

2. coral-boss

coral-boss Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

that could be a fun contest to do.

Bunnee911 likes this.
  3. codydemmel4

codydemmel4 Well-Known Member

i think that would be cool. especially if you get to see the frags or is it more going to be like pay $100 and just get 5 random brown out ones?

4. Velcro

Velcro Well-Known Member

Only if you QT them for us :p

5. BoomCorals

I'd provide pictures of all the frags. It's not going to be a WYSIWYG kind of thing but just a larger overhead picture like I do with my build your own sps packs. But I'd want to make sure you get variety of species best I can tell. Also there is shipping costs so what I might do is something like this:

10 browned frags (guessing 1.5"-2") $119 shipped OR 5 browned small colony (about 2.5"-3") $119 shipped.

Yes all would be dipped, removed from their bases, and put onto fresh plugs and into QT and multiple dips for a week or two.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  6. Velcro

Velcro Well-Known Member

Nice, in that case I would probably be up for some once I plumb a frag tank to my display.

7. BoomCorals

Good news I found a slightly cheaper option. Let me know what you guys think about this:

10 browned frags (guessing 1.5"-2") $119 shipped OR 5 browned small colony (about 2.5"-3") $119 shipped.

Also because these are wild/cultured pieces I'd just do a 24 hour DOA policy instead of my normal 2 weeks. As cheap as I'm offering these I'm not building in any extra cost to the price to support my "normal" policy.

8. Velcro

Velcro Well-Known Member

I'd probably do the $119 for the mini colonies.

9. justingraham

justingraham Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

I'm in but kinda lost are we getting frags of the brown stuff or colonies and it will be 20 dollars?

10. 3mm3

3mm3 Well-Known Member

I'm in

11. Blade*13

Blade*13 Well-Known Member

I'd probably be in for a 10 pack

chipmunkofdoom2 likes this.
  12. BoomCorals

Sorry let me update original post. Currently this is where we are at:

I'm trying to gauge interest as it requires me to buy at least 100 of them.

13. codydemmel4

codydemmel4 Well-Known Member

Yup I would be in this boat too.

Would there be millis in these packs and tenuis or what kind of acros mostly?

Bronc likes this.
  14. BoomCorals

It's going to be a large mix, acro, tenuis, millepora, etc. I believe these will all be branching corals - nothing like encrusting montis for example.

Bronc likes this.
  15. coral-boss

coral-boss Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

I think the 5 mini colonies would be cool to try and do something with

16. justingraham

justingraham Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

O so I misread this isn't a grow out "competition" just a buy some brown corals and see what it grows out to.

Sorry I'm out I don't have the room for ten corals right now

17. BoomCorals

No problem. :) I think it was mentioned it would be a friendly competition to see who ends up with what over time. Just for fun.

18. dodgerblew

dodgerblew Well-Known Member SCMAS Member

How about you make it a little interesting ;)

I couldn't do ten frags or small colonies due to space but a smaller frag amount might work

19. Anirban

Anirban Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I am in too

20. BoomCorals

Just wanted to show a few examples of some of these that I have bought and have colored up or started to color up from this same wholesaler. Keep in mind these have been growing and coloring up for months, but I also had colonies that I lost or are still brown. It's always a mixed bag with these brown mini colonies. But it's part of the fun!

This one is starting to show some pretty amazing colors. Notice the blue polyps and yellow tips! I have actually been thinking about keeping this one and growing it out. I feel like it has great potential.
    https://boomcorals.com/products/sps-wysiwyg-freckled-frog-acro-small-colony
    Boom-3579.jpg

Raspberry colored Millepora. Notice the good acro crab inside. :)
    https://boomcorals.com/products/sps-raspberry-millepora-full-colony-4-in-size
    Boom-3558.jpg

This one is starting to show some new colors besides the green
    https://boomcorals.com/products/sps-booms-limeade-acro-full-colony-4-in-size
    Boom-3566.jpg

https://boomcorals.com/products/sps-booms-sour-grapes-tenuis-whole-colony-4-in-size
    Boom-3573.jpg

https://boomcorals.com/products/sps-booms-pink-passion-acro-colony-full-colony-4-in-size
    Boom-3574.jpg

https://boomcorals.com/products/sps-booms-raspberry-acro-entire-colony-4-in-size
    Boom-3569.jpg

Two other pieces not on my site. One is just starting to show some interesting rainbow-ish colors and the other is GREEEEEEEEN.
    Boom-3563.jpg

Boom-3554.jpg

Bronc likes this.