the "brown acro" grow out experiment

Discussion in 'Boom Corals' started by BoomCorals, Aug 10, 2017.

1. tcarter1936

tcarter1936 Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

The PM's we're not securing an order till he posted a sale. I had to watch the thread all day to get mine.

BoomCorals, Holy_makerel and kdino like this.

2. Karli Matt Wilkes

Karli Matt Wilkes Member

Not sure I messaged in the correct place.
    PayPal email is Wilkesfam11@gmail.com

Richland Wa 99354

3. indyjaco

indyjaco Active Member

Missed as well, sad.

Hopefully you do it again in the future.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    BoomCorals likes this.
  4. tigé21v

tigé21v Active Member

Very cool idea! Thanks for taking this on. I'm sorry to read that it turned into more of a headache than you planned on.
    I've followed this thread from the beginning. I was hoping to get in on the action, but I was late to the show.
    Hopefully you'll do it again, and I'll definitely try to get in. If you choose not to, no one can blame you.

5. whorsefield

whorsefield Well-Known Member

The processed changed, i was at work so i don't have time to sit and monitor all day, i was simply going by what was stated earlier which is why its frustrating.

6. Holy_makerel

Holy_makerel Well-Known Member

Bummer it was a headache. Hopefully it's positive from here on out

BoomCorals likes this.
  7. tigerhawk

tigerhawk Active Member

Well I missed out this time. Maybe the next time, I will be able to get in on the fun. Hey guys, if you were successful with ordering please post pictures of what you got. Please keep us up to date on how things are going. It's going to be fun seeing how things turn out.

Holy_makerel likes this.
  8. Reefiness

Reefiness Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

dang. missed it. they look pretty sweet though from the pics.

9. BoomCorals

BoomCorals www.boomcorals.com R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Toys For Kids Sponsor

I'm sorry, I couldn't give anyone "dibs" though who PM'd me before I was ready for orders. You PM'd me too early. I had a lot of people PM me early but I had always stated I would post in the thread how and when to order. :( I did reply to your PM earlier though and indicated I'd post how to order in the thread later.

10. BoomCorals

No you're all set :) Also edit your post and remove your email/zip code! :)

Holy_makerel likes this.
  11. BoomCorals

I will.

I've learned two things from this. First, don't give up details on size and price until I have the coral in hand. There is simply too much variety in wholesalers and coral to set an expectation. That's on me and for that I apologize. I expected a lot of angry posts on the changes, but instead you guys inspired me and sold out so fast. It was the best part of my day honestly, I was nervous about trying this, but I know how fun (and heartbreaking!) it can be, the up and down roller coaster of the "brownies". But you guys stepped up and I truly appreciate it and you really made my day.

The second thing I've learned is this is a ton more work than I expected. 3 massive boxes from the airport (1 hour drive each way) plus unbagging, inspecting, dipping, inspecting, and placing 70 corals, then dumping the bag water, tossing the old bags/garbage, etc and so on... is a lot of back breaking work lol. I still have to do 1 more dip of all corals yet too and daily inspections for signs of STN or pests. The good news is I did not see any obvious pests in the water afterwards. Next time I will probably price these just a tad higher as I do have to account for some to not survive the trip from the wholesaler and I have to eat 5% of any dead loss, plus any that may die in QT. (but better my tank than yours!)

bubbaque likes this.
  12. BoomCorals

Yes and I apologize for that. After realizing how hard it was going to be to track first come first served manually via PM etc I put them on my site to do it automatically and try to make less work for myself. Lesson learned and I am sorry for that. :( BUT you still would have had to monitor the thread even if I had taken orders via PM since I said you should not PM me until I posted in the thread that I was ready to take orders.

13. BoomCorals

I will do it again but this time better organized and learned from my mistakes. I've never done something like this, so I do appreciate that everyone has been understanding.

14. Broadfield

Broadfield Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award Reef Squad Reef Spotlight Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

Well I'm definitely down for the next one!... unfortunately I was at work when this all went down:(

15. Reefiness

Are you jacking my word (brownies), is that why you put it in quotations? Just curious because you didnt start the thread referring to them as that, and I've never heard anyone else refer to them as that, also I looked back and saw I was the first use of the word brownies in this thread.

If you've used that in the past darn, im not as clever as I thought. If you did get it from me, thats awesome and I hope it sticks. haha. I call them brownies for the obvious brown color, and because usually when I get them from my lfs they are small and I consider them little treats to top off my order with. haha.

16. dodgerblew

dodgerblew Valuable Member

If you refer to them as turds next time I'd like the credit please :D

BoomCorals likes this.
  17. Reefguy420

Reefguy420 Active Member

I can't believe how fast they sold out I was so lucky that I took my last break at the right time. Luckily i was able to grab 3 large colonies and 3 medium colonies. I can't wait to see what I get super excited!

BoomCorals likes this.
  18. BoomCorals

I got it from you. :D

Holy_makerel and Reefiness like this.
  19. Reefiness

Woohoo! Stick with it I love it!

But if you make it big I want 1% royalties. Lol

BoomCorals likes this.
  20. vanpire

vanpire Active Member

I am so bummed but next time.

BoomCorals likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted