the "brown acro" grow out experiment

Discussion in 'Boom Corals' started by BoomCorals, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Mallard

Mallard Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019

Same here. I'm super excited to see what comes of this. I've never purchased anything from Boom Corals, but communication over PM has been excellent. 70 corals was a big risk to bring in without any deposits, but I think it's now apparent that there is an appetite for this sorta thing. So let's try to focus this thread on our shared journey in this experiment.

I'm awful about posting updates but I'll do my best to show what I get and what they become. I doubt any of us will get the next Walt Disney, but we could end up with some really nice sized colonies or nothing at all. I can't wait to see what happens.

BoomCorals and ReeferMaddness843 like this.

2. BoomCorals

BoomCorals www.boomcorals.com R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Toys For Kids Sponsor

When the time comes the "update and progress" should probably be posted in the general SPS forum just in case others want to share their brownie experience too, regardless of where they got the corals?

That said I wanted to share a few shots of some of the better looking ones. For "brownies" some of these are way beyond brown and I think are going to be promising. Remember that for every coral below, however, there are brownies and bleached, etc, that are not pictured. When it comes shipping time I will "spread the love" so to speak. I want to make sure that the quality is evenly spread out.

Boom-3626.jpg Boom-3628.jpg Boom-3629.jpg Boom-3635.jpg Boom-3638.jpg Boom-3640.jpg Boom-3645.jpg Boom-3646.jpg Boom-3649.jpg Boom-3651.jpg

3. tcarter1936

tcarter1936 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I'll share my experience, hopefully I get them happy quickly. Would be interesting to see others results.

4. dodgerblew

dodgerblew Valuable Member

There is definitely potential in those pics

5. wongyeng888

wongyeng888 Member

Shipping internationally too ?

6. BoomCorals

Sorry I cannot.

7. WesleyC

WesleyC Active Member

I'm a bit confuse about the buying procedure. The website only allow choosing different sizes for the brown acro item. So, we just add to cart on how many we want?

8. BoomCorals

Yes. But they are all sold out.

9. BoomCorals

Just a quick update, QT dip #2 is today! I have been inspecting them daily (so has my wrasse!) and no nasties seen just yet, and no visible eggs. Will dip again today and then begin shipping Monday. Again though I must urge everyone to do their own QT process! Better safe than sorry in this hobby.

I have had 2 colonies fully RTN and die so I had to toss them. I also have 3-4 more that have some STN going on but still have good polyp extension so it will hopefully stop. I want to tell a story about wild pieces and STN. The only rule is NEVER toss the acro until every inch has STN'd. I had a Millie I picked up from someplace a while back that had very pretty coloring in the pics. But when I received it, it was pretty browned/pale. Still I kept it and had it about 2 weeks. At that point it began to STN. The colony was 6" by 6" a very large size. I watched it die more each day until there was only a single nub branch left. And then... the STN stopped. Don't know why, but it just stopped, and that one branch began to show color and PE. After a little longer I cut that tiny branch off, glued it to a frag plug, and today it's grown into a 2" by 2" little colony and continues to grow and thrive.

Here is that little tiny branch that just wouldn't give up:
    Boom-3653.jpg

It has some pretty incredible coloring coming through.
    Boom-3656.jpg

So moral of the story is, when you get these, even if there is STN or they start to STN, never get rid of them until there is nothing left because these wild pieces can be very unpredictable!

10. KJoFan

KJoFan Valuable Member Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

What are you using for a dip?

11. BoomCorals

Coral RX

KJoFan likes this.
  12. KJoFan

I bet many would love to see another pic of how they're doing so far. ;)

kdino likes this.
  13. tigerhawk

tigerhawk Active Member

I agree, let's see some pictures. So that we can see how they look and what we missed out on.

14. BoomCorals

Tomorrow I'll post pics of some that I haven't posted already. :D

15. Reeferguy365

Reeferguy365 Active Member

Can you post a couple of pics of the not so good-looking ones too?

kdino likes this.
  16. BoomCorals

Yea that was my plan

17. Reeferguy365

This one looks so sweet. I hope get one like it Screenshot_20170819-031956.png

18. Reeferguy365

Can't wait to get my "brownies" Tuesday. So excited to see what I get. It's like buying a pack of cards when you're a kid not knowing what you're going to get but hoping you get something good LOL

19. BoomCorals

I have sent an email to everyone about when they'd like their order shipped. I sent a follow up PM to anyone I haven't heard back from yet. Got all the 2nd dips done last night. Today I have a busy day - prepping boxes for shipping these out, numbering the coral in groups by size and then using a "randomizer" on my computer to pick who gets what, etc. I also have to frag the Reef Raft Aussie acro colony I got, as well as my newest zoas. Busy busy!

erk and Holy_makerel like this.
  20. KJoFan

;Watching

Draft saved Draft deleted