The "brownies" thread of progression, the happy times, the sad times

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my mini crash, I have one left. It's really bright green and starting to grow again. I'll try to post a shot tomorrow.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine look pretty similar to when I posted 'em. The one with tissue loss has lost a bit more, but also has the best PE of any of my brownies. One of the others with a lot of green seems to be indicating pink or purple tips ... we shall see!

~Bruce, with no fresh photos - they'd look pretty similar . . .

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the last one I have left. Bummed about losing the others. They had much nicer colors coming in. Hopefully this one continues to color up.

stag 11-19-17.jpg

tcarter1936

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've still got a fee, one bleached.
One had severe rtn but stopped and left me about five decent tips.
Another I got four frags from all showing growth just trying to get color and to top it off just had nitrate fall off unexpectedly and lost a lot of colors in other corals.
I need a refugium and to feed more just having high po4 lately.
I will post pics soon Thanksgiving prep is kicking my butt.

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up on this one after growing into a large colony but still brown. I suspect in a cleaner tank this would be whit with blue tips. Fast grower too, just brown brown brown.

EnouaQH.jpg

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my problem child; it is a beautiful piece but it browns out if you look at it funny. When I got the frag, it was nice and vibrant (picture #1). It quickly browned out to completely look like the left side of picture #1 so I moved it to the center of the tank (from the far right side). PAR in the middle (approx 215 at the time) is about the same as the original location but it gets overlapping coverage of the two Kessils vice a single unit. In this location, half of it colored up while the left side remained brown (picture #2). I moved it a few inches higher into slightly more PAR and it completely browned out again. At this point, I said to heck with it and left it where it was for a few weeks (and cursed at it profusely).

Picture #1 (day after I brought it home)
34725847793_744bf5a748_z.jpg

Picture #2
36708989560_be815c2fcd_h.jpg

Fast forward a couple of weeks and a monti cap in the tank is starting to expel zoothanthellae and bleach so I turn the intensity of the Kessils down by 10% (it sits directly under a Kessil). This makes the monti cap happy but the RR Wolverine starts to brown out. After another week, I decided to move the monti cap and add a new rock to fill that void. I also build that side of the tank up a few more inches to get the Wolverine some additional light. Now that I have some more space to work with, I grab the problem child and move him onto this same rock but slightly lower down than the Wolverine. This is literally the same exact location the "problem child" was in to begin with now but it's about two inches higher. I go out of town and when I return a week later, the problem child has started to color back up. Not nearly as vivid as before but it has steadily been getting more vibrant each day (picture #3). Hopefully the trend continues and it colors up completely because I'm tired of messing with it!

Picture #3
37663757805_cd88a2dd5a_h.jpg

For the time being, the monti cap, Wolverine, and the problem child seem to be, "happy."

Last edited:

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, shot some new pix of my brownie colonies today. 'Twill be interesting to see how they go, and how they grow. Photos are in left-to-right order, as they sit in my tank.

This guy is overall paler than the rest, with a vague hint of pink.
20171124_113805.jpg

This one is the brightest green, with some halfway decent PE, and hints at pink or purple tips.
20171124_113823.jpg

Just realized, there's another one that belongs here - _really_ looks as though it'll mature purple or blue - that I forgot to shoot today. Lights are out for the night, so not in this go-round.

This guy's got a slightly more purplish cast - and two commensal crabs. They're both in the photo . . . The smooth pink one is easy, the fuzzy one with blue eyes ... not so much.
20171124_113844.jpg

This guy's got a trend towards a deep green/blue color, and is loaded up with barnacles. Have a hunch it might develop a tabling growth form.
20171124_113904.jpg

Threw in the Pocillopora this time ... just because.
20171124_113927.jpg

And Mr. tissue loss. Sometimes, the polyps are peeking, and I think this guy's going to turn it around - and sometimes, I just see all that dead white . . .
20171124_113948.jpg

~Bruce

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have anything from Boom, but I’d like to give em a shot. I do however have a few browns I have picked up from a local stores lately. I’ll take some pics just to see how they progress over time; especially since I am supplementing my LED’s with T5’s in about 2 weeks it should make it more interesting.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to update this thread with the status of my last brownie that I purchased from @BoomCorals . I decided to split it up several weeks ago because it had some dead areas that weren't healing. The frags are healed and growing very well. I've decided to keep the fastest grower for myself and will probably trade the other 3 frags away once they have grown out. Here are some images I recently took:

brownie 2.jpg

This is my keeper frag. I love how long the polyps extend out. Has a lot of motion and LOVES high flow and light.
brownie.jpg

This is mille that I received from PEA in a sale. It was an ugly brown color when I got it ~6 months ago. This is it now.
hairy mille.jpg

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to update this thread with the status of my last brownie that I purchased from @BoomCorals . I decided to split it up several weeks ago because it had some dead areas that weren't healing. The frags are healed and growing very well. I've decided to keep the fastest grower for myself and will probably trade the other 3 frags away once they have grown out. Here are some images I recently took:

brownie 2.jpg

This is my keeper frag. I love how long the polyps extend out. Has a lot of motion and LOVES high flow and light.
brownie.jpg

This is mille that I received from PEA in a sale. It was an ugly brown color when I got it ~6 months ago. This is it now.
hairy mille.jpg
That is a super bright green. That's actually really nice!

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this fellas colour change, June 2017 to today. Unknown Acro, but I’m liking it more these days! Lol

From Beige in June 2017
F7F52AA5-5EFE-4096-9EB1-0404F0CC9DC2.jpeg
To pale green/turquoise with gold growth tips in January 2018
00A8A0D0-BC16-4866-A91A-54321F3D8E68.jpeg 4D692C39-9D91-4323-B2BF-03F623FF206F.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back