The BTAS, rock flowers, and Acros

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i heard from a reefing buddy that BTA's are around the same care level for acropora?!? What could I compare acros to for care level? I have coralline, Ive kept BTAS, rock flowers, and Ive also kept a carpet anemone. Would I be able to keep acros if I kept these anemones?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Probably. I don't know much about acros. I just got a green slimer (1 week) and its showing growth before my bta (1 month) started to get comfortable. Just a few days ago.

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nems are much easier imhe. My black widows nems never bothered any other corals they touched ..even sps!!!

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i heard from a reefing buddy that BTA's are around the same care level for acropora?!? What could I compare acros to for care level? I have coralline, Ive kept BTAS, rock flowers, and Ive also kept a carpet anemone. Would I be able to keep acros if I kept these anemones?
That sounds a bit misleading. Can you keep rockflower anemones and rbtas in an SPS reef? Yes. Does that mean you are guaranteed to be able to keep sps in a tank where anemones are doing great? No. For example, anemones can be kept in low alk, high Alk, swinging alk, low light, high light randomly changing light intensity. Yet acros would peel if you swing alk by more than 2-3 ppm per day. Although that shouldn’t discourage you from trying SPS.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds a bit misleading. Can you keep rockflower anemones and rbtas in an SPS reef? Yes. Does that mean you are guaranteed to be able to keep sps in a tank where anemones are doing great? No. For example, anemones can be kept in low alk, high Alk, swinging alk, low light, high light randomly changing light intensity. Yet acros would peel if you swing alk by more than 2-3 ppm per day. Although that shouldn’t discourage you from trying SPS.
I plan to get digis but im just scared since I want a FULL Reef with every colour and style of coral

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rock flowers aren't going to bother any other coral-likes. They don't really move around, and if they do, their sting is irritating rather than truly damaging. Other things with nasty stings can bother them, though.

RFAs are much hardier than a lot of SPS.

You should try an easy SPS first. If you can grow coraline, you can probably grow one of the really easy SPS. I've found encrusting montiporas to be pretty hardy, and they grow satisfyingly fast when happy.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock flowers aren't going to bother any other coral-likes. They don't really move around, and if they do, their sting is irritating rather than truly damaging. Other things with nasty stings can bother them, though.

RFAs are much hardier than a lot of SPS.

You should try an easy SPS first. If you can grow coraline, you can probably grow one of the really easy SPS. I've found encrusting montiporas to be pretty hardy, and they grow satisfyingly fast when happy.
Suggestions for easy SPS? I plan to get digis but are there any other kinds?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Suggestions for easy SPS? I plan to get digis but are there any other kinds?
Some cheap and easier acropora are - green slimer, millepora (depending on color). Someone listed some other easy acros. But digitatas are as easy as frogspawn corals. I can't say all millepora are easy. I only got into the slimer so far.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back