The case of the eaten blue spiny lobster

BMillikan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a fairly large blue spiny lobster and something in the tank ate the tail end of it. I'm not sure what. I have several damsels.. I don't think they did this. I have two tangs. I don't think they did it either. I have a snowflake eel which is suspect. I have a gulf toadfish which is relatively new. I have a flounder (also not suspect). A small panther spotted grouper. A small humu trigger. A small puffer. Cleaner shrimp. Emerald crabs. Fiddler crabs. Snails. Hermit crabs and that's about it.

I read that the snowflake eel will eat anything that fits in it's mouth. However, the spiny lobster was probably 4" - 5" and the eel mouth is probably 1/4" - 1/2". So, I'm confused. Any ideas?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eels will tear stuff up to get pieces they can swallow.

On a seperate note I hope you have a big tank and are ready to rehome fish as behavior issues arise as they grow and mature. I see only problems long term with the stocking list you've provided and don't see you being able to keep that group together for the normal life expectancies you should expect.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they were all in on it and that’s why everyone is clammed up.
On behalf of the suspect list they are wondering if you can send in another lobster soon?

OP
OP
B

BMillikan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey
Eels will tear stuff up to get pieces they can swallow.

On a seperate note I hope you have a big tank and are ready to rehome fish as behavior issues arise as they grow and mature. I see only problems long term with the stocking list you've provided and don't see you being able to keep that group together for the normal life expectancies you should expect.
The tank is large enough (for now), but your concerns are duly noted. I have plans to buy a LARGE cylindrical tank in the near future. But, I realize you're absolutely right. Many will outgrow the current tank.

OP
OP
B

BMillikan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they were all in on it and that’s why everyone is clammed up.
On behalf of the suspect list they are wondering if you can send in another lobster soon?
My filtration is setup for a very heavy bio load. But, I do realize that I'm going to need to move some of them soon as they grow.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I have a soft spot for the Panther grouper but I’m too lazy to do the upkeep on a fish that eats like they do. The big cylinder tank with massive filtration will allow you to enjoy your school of over eaters! Should be beautiful once it’s set up.

maybe a build thread in your future to assist others who share your/our appreciation of these predators?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The snowflake is a pebbletooth, so you would see crushing and tearing. If it appears to be more like bite marks; could be the trigger, puffer, or toadfish. The toadfish could eventually eat many things in your tank; they have really big mouths snd will eat things about 2/3rds their own size.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back