The Chicken or the Eggcrate - How have you used eggcrate in your system?

How have you used eggcrate in or around your aquarium?

• Aquarium lid

Votes: 99 30.9%
  • Frag rack

Votes: 163 50.9%
  • Skimmer stand

Votes: 96 30.0%
  • Sump Divider

Votes: 64 20.0%
  • Other (please describe in the discussion)

Votes: 47 14.7%
  • I have not used eggcrate in or around my aquarium

Votes: 80 25.0%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reefkeepers have found many uses in the aquarium space for egg crate light diffusers. Whether it was for an aquarium lid, a frag rack, a skimmer stand, a divider in your sump, a connection point for an ATO float valve, or a way to separate fish within an aquarium - how have you used this versatile material?

Here is a way that one of our members, @bisteclol, used egg crate with 3D printed legs that they created!

BisteclolEggCrateStand.png

image by @bisteclol

If you aren't familiar with egg crate and are looking for a source, the white version can be found at most major home stores and the black version can be found at online suppliers including Bulk Reef Supply, Saltwater Aquarium, Premium Aquatics, and more.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag racks so far and hardware stores. Also sometime you can order the black egg crate to home depot for a little cheaper price then a lot of the well known online reef stores....

Attachments

• 20220927_102411.jpg
    20220927_102411.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 56

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first time I used egg crate was 32yrs ago and I used it because one of my wrasses went carpet surfing, I didn't want to pay big bucks for a lid and made one out of crate.
I have also used it to construct an acclamation pen for new fish, as a frag rack and as my first sumps dividers oh and to hold my bio balls in the wet dry filter... that's OLD SCHOOL RIGHT THERE lol

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read - and ill try to look for the book - to place rock work on egg crate. Book was old(er) but i to this day cant figure that out. Anyone heard/done/understand that?
Rock was more stable sitting on the egg crate…without crate, sand could be moved and rocks could topple.
I think the problem was with the dead spots that were in each little square.
In my tanks most of the base rock is sitting above the tank floor because of acrylic ‘legs’ that were drilled into each rock.
Fish and cuc can go under almost every rock.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a cheaper one available than the 4x2ft for $20 at home depot

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used it on top my glass lid under light to dim down intensity on certain part off my tank and currently use it under skimmer to higher it and also got a little thin piece with a elastic band around a rock on the eggcrate to create a little ladder for the naughty murderous crabs in the sump so can get from one section to another ^_^

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, egg crate. Maybe one of the most versatile diy products. Have used in the past as a sump divider to contain bioballs in a wet dry, with screen mesh to make the void space in a plenum system, as a foam stabiliser in diy air stone and Venturi skimmers, elevating aquascapes on bare bottom setups, as a frame for rock bommies, overflow snail guard and currently using as the floss holder in my Waterbox 10. Great stuff, always have a sheet in the shed.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back