The color from my goniopora is bleeding onto the sand

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goniopora is bleeding it’s color onto the sand. Has anyone seen this happen before? I’ve had it for about 2 months and it started doing this last week. I haven’t done any water tests yet but I’m just curious if anyone’s seen this before and what the cause typically is.

A253FEF1-D452-48AE-BDBC-7D22C7361177.jpeg

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it isn't just cyano growing in the area around the Goni? Could be that the coral is slowing the flow below it and the bacteria is growing there.
I agree most likely cyano.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it isn't just cyano growing in the area around the Goni? Could be that the coral is slowing the flow below it and the bacteria is growing there.
I’m not sure to be honest. Can cyano be purple? I can Google that. My Goniopora is purple and so is the sand surrounding it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree most likely cyano.
I googled and you guys seems correct. Do I need to take it off the sand? That seems like a possible solution.

Upvote 0

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I googled and you guys seems correct. Do I need to take it off the sand? That seems like a possible solution.
Siphoning it off and increasing flow to that area. Is actually common around coral bases in some tanks. Just covering can cause issues with decomposition and it will come back until nutrient levels change or flow is increased.

Upvote 0

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Burying/blowing off cyano doesn’t make it magically go away, there is a reason it is growing and will come back usually.
Perhaps not all of it, but I have always felt that blowing it all over the tank only spread it all over the tank.

Upvote 0

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps not all of it, but I have always felt that blowing it all over the tank only spread it all over the tank.
That’s why you suck it out. Never blow or cover up anything in a closed environment, as it will only come back and usually twice as bad lol removal is best.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cyano - no doubt
Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations go haywire. Just like when you eat too much sugar and your waistline starts to bloom, the same happens in your tank when concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 5-7 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.
After the week, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

Upvote 0

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano - no doubt
Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations go haywire. Just like when you eat too much sugar and your waistline starts to bloom, the same happens in your tank when concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 5-7 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.
After the week, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.
By liquid bacteria do you mean the type you use to jump-start a tank or something else?

Upvote 0

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano - no doubt

By the way, it's vetteguy's birthday everybody! (if we were at a restaurant where the staff sings and marches around, I would also totally embarrass you ;) )

Upvote 0

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why you suck it out. Never blow or cover up anything in a closed environment, as it will only come back and usually twice as bad lol removal is best.
I 100% agree, someone else had just been talking about blowing it off with a baster. A metal smoothie straw on a tube is awesome for this. You can suck up exactly what you want and get into all the crevices with it. They come bent and straight.

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back