The Color Sweet Spot: Have you found it for your reef tank?

How happy are you with the lighting "color" of your saltwater aquarium?

• 10 (extremely happy)

Votes: 84 16.8%

Votes: 59 11.8%

Votes: 109 21.8%

Votes: 114 22.8%

Votes: 54 10.8%

Votes: 37 7.4%

Votes: 21 4.2%

Votes: 11 2.2%

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 1 (hate it)

Votes: 7 1.4%

• Total voters

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 our of 10

Can’t go wrong with a 20k metal halide like I have on my biocube. And the orphek atlantik v4 has the best color of any led I’ve seen (even though I can’t take decent pics the light is just awesome in person), when I put the photon v2 on my frag tank right next to my orphek, the color and spectrum was almost a complete disappointment when compared to the orphek.

C64DDE1C-6916-46F7-93BE-6C63B4DA9B40.jpeg 1346290D-3FE8-4478-83A1-EC7A42D549BE.jpeg

TAL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. No
2. Be careful to not over light and under light corals. Use a Par Meter if you lights do not have a program.
3. SB Reef Leds (gen 1&2)

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Have you found that lighting "sweet spot" that your eyes find very appealing?
Not yet. I'm still working on it VERY SLOWLY. I backed down the white, but found the look too blue for me during the day. I'm shooting for about 60% max eventually, but I'm still light acclimating some corals, so I'm not messing with the programming until my coral-fest has slowed down (and I can stay away from the live sales ;Joyful).

2. What tips and advice can you give to those who are still searching for that perfect look?

Adjust the settings SLOWLY. Let the corals tell you what they like (they will...you'll for sure know what they DON'T like). Adjust to what is aesthetically pleasing to you. If you like more blue, bring on the blue!

3. What type and brand of lighting are you currently using?

ReefBreeders 50" Photon V2+, which is my second fixture from ReefBreeders. I loved the first one, but this one is even better and fits perfectly in my canopy!

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Have you found that lighting "sweet spot" that your eyes find very appealing?

I picked 8 as mine is still a work in progress, I love the "pop" of blues but try to add enough white to balance out the tank.

2. What tips and advice can you give to those who are still searching for that perfect look?

A good starting point is looking for tanks with lighting that you like and then see what brands, types of bulbs and settings the owner is using.

currently running aquatic life T5 hybrid with all ATI Blue+ bulbs and single coral box moon LED, planning to add two mini Reef Bright LED strips asap..

C6ED8771-A04D-4114-A015-B3514658D31B.png

Emmanuel Stewart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgraded my stock tank light to the Orbit Marine IC Pro Dual LEDs. Made a huge difference and I love the different light modes and storm effects but still not getting the POP out of my corals that I was hoping for. Rated a 7 but if price is a big factor, would rate probably a 9 since they're not terribly expensive.

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 11.09.19 AM.png

Very much looking toward to a 3x Radion XR15 BLUE Gen5 on my new tank downstairs. Also, it will be nice having one tank with decent white light and the other predominantly blue. Trying to create two different tank environments,
Yes...however I still change things between White and blue once in a while. Currently leaning more blue heavy right now to see if my corals like it better.

I started with a "base" setup for my LED's that the manufacturer had and I adjusted from there using their basic duration's and intensities to meet what I thought looked good to me..but stuck close to the relationships between the 6 channels that are available. Then just small changes from there to dial it all in over time based on how my corals reacted.

Reef Breeders Photon V2+ 48 and I love how configurable and powerful they can be.
For me, I'm quite happy with the ATI Dimmable sunpower. I have 2 purple plus, 2 blue plus, 1 Aqua Blue Special, and 1 Coral plus. I also added 1 Deep blue led strip by "Tru Lumen Pro" which brings out all the hidden colors from my corals. I stick to this set-up religiously and the coral growth is amazing beyond my expectations...

20200521_193239.jpg VideoCapture_20200426-201612.jpg 20200527_221627.jpg 20200520_193206.jpg 20200527_170528.jpg

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since getting anew light for my aquarium, my corals and the General fell off the tank looks fantastic. I think the light makes it look great, perfect for my taste.

GregOyeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I have my lights set up the best I’m gonna get them. I’m happy for the most part with the color in my tank.

main thing I’ve learned to deal with over the years is that some corals just don’t look the same in your tank the way they do in others. BUT! There’s gonna be many times a certain coral looks so much better in your tank than in another persons, or at the LFS.

so instead of constantly screwing around with the trace elements, lighting, nutrients, etc. I just keep the corals that look good in my tank haha. Strawberry shortcake never looked good in my tank, Sunset milli does! PC rainbow looked terrible in my tank, but Oregon Blue Tort looks AMAZING!!! So does WD, Hawkins, Sarmentosa, red planet.

Build your tank around what looks best!

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgraded my stock tank light to the Orbit Marine IC Pro Dual LEDs. Made a huge difference and I love the different light modes and storm effects but still not getting the POP out of my corals that I was hoping for. Rated a 7 but if price is a big factor, would rate probably a 9 since they're not terribly expensive.

Very much looking toward to a 3x Radion XR15 BLUE Gen5 on my new tank downstairs. Also, it will be nice having one tank with decent white light and the other predominantly blue. Trying to create two different tank environments,

You have the same anemone and same exact clown that I have. Are your clown aqua cultured and do they host in the anemone? Mine won't go near it but. only to steal food from it.

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have the same anemone and same exact clown that I have. Are your clown aqua cultured and do they host in the anemone? Mine won't go near it but. only to steal food from it.
Nice! Got the clowns from LiveAquaria and no, they don't give a single darn about the anemone! They won't even attempt to take food from it. I even placed them in a very small qt together for about 6 hours and the clown stayed on the opposite corner of the tank the entire time. We've gone through three anemones with these clowns and they won't host. One, a Haitian pink tip actually chased the clowns around the tank begging them to host. Was hilarious!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back