The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species

Aquarium Fisheries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species, or CITES, is holding its 19th Conference of Parties this month. Regulation of international trade in marine aquarium fishes is a topic of discussion.

After this topic was proposed to CITES in 2019, the United Nations Environment Program World Conservation Monitoring Centre was contracted to study trade issues. To date, their results are unknown to most in the marine aquarium community.

Enter Species360, which curates the Zoological Information Management System ZIMS utilized by over 1,200 aquarium, zoo, university, research, and governmental institutions around the world to manage animal collections, improve animal welfare and species conservation. Their Conservation Science Alliance engaged with the Coral Reef Aquarium Fisheries Campaign and other subject matter experts to offer an alternative, data-driven framework to prioritize marine aquarium fish species for study to offer to the CITES community, which they will present at the Conference.

As the Campaign learns of outcomes of discussions from the Conference, we'll share those developments with you...stay tuned.

Take a Deeper Dive here.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

What are you selling?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back