The coolest anemones on the market! What are they?

Would you love to have a super cool anemone? (these are the best)

• YES

Votes: 412 82.7%
  • NO

Votes: 78 15.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 1.6%

• Total voters

karels08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats easy. CC Flame Tips. They get big fast. They split fast. I think the coloration is far more superior to CSB.
Idk about that I love how the csb fades into a maroon almost purple sometimes and a few green steaks here and there

Riqaq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are on our definitely don't ever buy or accept for free list. This decision was made after 2 events:
  • Back in the 90's I had a Mini-Reef tank (About 300 litres) and bought an anemone, less than a week later it committed suicide in the night in the filter run-off. Killed most of the other stuff in the tank. I gave up the tank.
  • When we converted to Marine, the salesman at our LFS, managed to convince my better half that these two nice little orange anemones that lived together would be great in our tank, I disagreed a bit (but as a man, I lost that disagreement). The said two lovely little things then proceeded to die gracelessly (after a couple of months, but this time we eventually managed to save most corals using the manic emergency 100% water change technique.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/small-green-and-static.702467/#post-7241013 was a survivor of that (Nitrates over 100, Phosphates ???, test kit was unreadable)

So as Reef and Geeks said
I've always been too afraid to add them, though they are beautiful. Seems too risky to add something to the tank that can both sting other coral, and move around on it's own. I do appreciate looking at them in other's tanks though :)
Beautiful animals, but I will watch them from afar.

PhilSD211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Chicago Sunbursts! I need better pics!

IMG_20201129_100546a.jpg

Joshua Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cold water nems? Nice but that must be a dedicated tank, right?
It's definitely a specialty tank, but there are other things besides anemones you can keep in a Cold Water system. Fun fact, almost all cold water tanks are acrylic; and thick acrylic at that because of condensation. Just imagine how a glass of cold water condensates at room temperature in your house. Same concept....glass is notorious for condensation.

kml505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love anemones but yes, they can wander and cause havoc. Should only be reserved for stable and established tanks. Heres a few shots of my rainbow BTAs.

Attachments

• 20200808_141554.jpg
    20200808_141554.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 39

gfreshour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A BTA I got from a LFS. It got sucked into a powerhead and was almost dead- they let me have it for free!!

6844D4EB-D536-46DE-8283-8F647DF3FA3E.png
6844D4EB-D536-46DE-8283-8F647DF3FA3E.png
Feed it shrimp and it will probably survive if you have the right light and water conditions. I had one of my get part way sucked in a hob filter and nearly had to tear him away from the intake tube. Few days later and he is doing great!

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely a specialty tank, but there are other things besides anemones you can keep in a Cold Water system. Fun fact, almost all cold water tanks are acrylic; and thick acrylic at that because of condensation. Just imagine how a glass of cold water condensates at room temperature in your house. Same concept....glass is notorious for condensation.
Ain't that the truth! For a while I had mine (Glass) out in the garage (S. Cal.) and on hot muggy days it was a virtual waterfall under it with all the "sweat"! The electric bill from the chiller running 24/7 was outrageous.;Greedy;Facepalm

weamdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to have an assortment of cool nems, but tried that and it didn't end well. Now I tend to keep them separate. The craziest I have is the CC Inferno which is the biggest thing in my 220g. The momma is huge with a base that extends 9" tall. Two of these live in a quarantine box while the smallest recently escaped from the shadows (they have been there for about 9mo and are perfectly content). Clowns live about 14" away and haven't found them yet, they seem to prefer their purple people eaters and a hammer after the loss of general Sherman.

I used to have a 12" Sherman in that tank until I got greedy and added a BW and a couple other different rainbow BTAs. If I get another, it will likely be a gig or supernova and go into the 125.
20201101_173454.jpg

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back