The coolest anemones on the market! What are they?

Would you love to have a super cool anemone? (these are the best)

• YES

Votes: 412 82.7%
  • NO

Votes: 78 15.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 1.6%

• Total voters

El Grunto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hehe, i've been drooling over this one too, but it's just not in the budget right now. (>__<)'

colorado sunburst is the other one i plan to eventually add to my 180G DT.

i'm curious though ... it seems that BTAs split and multiply like rabbits. i imagine that some hobbyists have more BTAs than they know what to do with. are we eventually looking at a saturated market with so many hobbyist sellers even for the fancy ones?? (i certainly don't mind paying $200 for what used to be a $1500-$2000 nem). ;Greedy
For sure. Look at the designer clown market. Black Storms were going for $400+ just a few years ago. Lightning Maroons were well over $1k 10 years ago. Now Black Storms can reliably be had for under $100 and Lightning Maroons are down to $40.

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For bunches its hard to beat the rock flowers
nems.jpg
I love those sun corals!

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would die for some killer rock flowers... but... I just can't keep them alive! I love those ones that are black and white striped; they're pretty cool.

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure. Look at the designer clown market. Black Storms were going for $400+ just a few years ago. Lightning Maroons were well over $1k 10 years ago. Now Black Storms can reliably be had for under $100 and Lightning Maroons are down to $40.

haha black storms are exactly what i want to pair up with my anemones. a small harem.

Humanzee1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, while I love BTAs, LTAs are the absolute best of them all. They don't split willy nilly, they get massive, and you can find some pretty freaking insanely colored ones (Yellow, green, zebra striped). They only downside is that they get very big and require a sandbed, but that second issue can be solved by just giving them a tall glass of sand to live in. They host clownfish seemingly more readily than BTAs and look far more like the natural host nems of many clown species.
I may be biased though, because in my whole 6 years of reefing I have never been able to keep a BTA alive lol So maybe that has something to do with it?
I'm starting a nem tank and I've been thinking more about making it LTA but the sand bed thing is a bit of a deal killer. How tall would the glass have to be?

Humanzee1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Healthy Mag anemone with a pair Ocellaris clownfish is like having warm apple pie on a cool winter evening.
1607013453816.png
Starting a nem tank and also considering doing it with ritteri. What has your experience been? I think I have strong enough lighting and can get the flow right. What makes them harder than BTA?

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a nem tank and also considering doing it with ritteri. What has your experience been? I think I have strong enough lighting and can get the flow right. What makes them harder than BTA?
Oh brother..... how much time you got? Im actually in the middle of posting a YouTube video, in the meantime you can check out my journey here. Flat out if you haven't been in the saltwater game for a while or cant keep sps corals for any length of time (proving you can provide stable conditions).... stay away! Seriously. They are expert level animals and I completely understand why.

They are not nearly as forgiving as BTA's, are prone to bacterial infections, can wipe out all your non clownfish. You can treat them, however at least in my experience treating it caused it to bleach (another issue) and shrink (yet another issue). Once you get them acclimated (very tough it took me 7 months to turn it around) they are solid if you provide them what they need (stable water parameters, bright light, random forceful flow, and no path to higher ground).

Last edited:

beolson25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, no pic at the moment. My favorite is a Sherman Rose Bubble Tip. They are super awesome in color and stay attached to the rocks and split frequently.

dmantz1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pics are blue heavy. The nems are more orange than the pics. 40+ nems in the second pic. I only had 2 move and now they stay in place.

Attachments

• A70D72CC-CAF9-4FE0-8ED0-57353DF75BD3.jpeg
    A70D72CC-CAF9-4FE0-8ED0-57353DF75BD3.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 58
  • CF70680C-BBFB-496B-B301-505522813876.jpeg
    CF70680C-BBFB-496B-B301-505522813876.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 59

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think they are much harder.
An aquarium thats 6 months to a year old or older is the best. A tank that old usually is stable.
You want a middle of the road tank thats not too low or too high on nutrients not too high or low on alk.
Good light and a place high up with some moderate flow. 2 perches for it to chose from, because they can be picky. It will love light and once it has found the most lighted spot, it will prob only move if flow is too much or too little. Start it out medium height in the tank and it will move up as it gets used to the light and figures out where the source is. It might take the long way around to get higher. I would cover any powerheads and keep rock structures away from the glass and over flows
I would recommend one thats in good shape to start out with as with any nem.
A week in a qt tank with cipro treatment can help prevent infections that they are prone to get when being moved.
Here is my 4" in qt on its glass perch. Now in a little over a year its about 24" across.
NemQT.JPG

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think they are much harder.
An aquarium thats 6 months to a year old or older is the best. A tank that old usually is stable.
You want a middle of the road tank thats not too low or too high on nutrients not too high or low on alk.
Good light and a place high up with some moderate flow. 2 perches for it to chose from, because they can be picky. It will love light and once it has found the most lighted spot, it will prob only move if flow is too much or too little. Start it out medium height in the tank and it will move up as it gets used to the light and figures out where the source is. It might take the long way around to get higher. I would cover any powerheads and keep rock structures away from the glass and over flows
I would recommend one thats in good shape to start out with as with any nem.
A week in a qt tank with cipro treatment can help prevent infections that they are prone to get when being moved.
Here is my 4" in qt on its glass perch. Now in a little over a year its about 24" across.
NemQT.JPG
Sorry brother, I respectfully disagree. There is a reason why Mag’s have the reputation they have…. I challenge you to go on any forum regarding the difficulty level of these anemones…Easy will not be in the title. Perhaps you are the exception to the rule…or maybe I am.

Speaking from my own personal experience, while these anemones are majestic… acclimating them can be very difficult unless they are bought locally and come from a line of anemones reared in aquariums; maybe then I would agree with you. I would caution anyone tempted to keep them make sure they have the experience, patience and the capability otherwise you are asking for trouble…..

eel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Sherman Rose Bubble Tip has split many times over the last 8 years. I've sold the babies and that nem has paid for itself many times over. It has killed coral. I have had to rescape my tank to accommodate it, but we've reached an understanding. It's now in a spot that we both like and if it starts to move at all I have learned how to coax it back to it's spot. Here's a pic of mom & some babies.

Attachments

• 20200314_180937.jpg
    20200314_180937.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200330_194402.jpg
    20200330_194402.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20200314_152431.jpg
    20200314_152431.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 40

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back