The coolest anemones on the market! What are they?

Would you love to have a super cool anemone? (these are the best)

• YES

Votes: 412 82.7%
  • NO

Votes: 78 15.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 1.6%

• Total voters

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting a nem tank and I've been thinking more about making it LTA but the sand bed thing is a bit of a deal killer. How tall would the glass have to be?
Are you doing a barebottom? To be honest, the flow required for a bare bottom to be necessary would most likely damage most nems. If you're just talking about the sand height, I personally just mound the sand around the base of the nem. The glass method works well for really big nems, get something attractive (like an old amber glass jar or mason jar) and fill it halfway with the sand of choice (finer is better). Make sure the jar has a top opening wider than 3-4" for the comfort of the nem. Place the nem inside, and it will burrow to the bottom (or even stick to the side) and fill the jar with the foot, leaving a majestic bouquet of tentacles flowing in the water above it! This method also makes relocation really easy.

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these rainbow BTA I have with lots green are pretty neat...I personally haven't seen others with this much green..
D3EEA1C7-0010-4A0F-B11A-328D268B7A1A.jpeg

I'm now trying them in my nano to see how they do.
49E9716E-12C2-4280-8721-20996F2CE8AD.jpeg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Healthy Mag anemone with a pair Ocellaris clownfish is like having warm apple pie on a cool winter evening.
1607013453816.png

l’d have to go with peach cobbler personally .... but I second the sentiment! Mag for the win.

swee10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a name for the black marks on the bubble tips? I think they look like stretch marks so that is what I have been calling them but is there another name people use?
Thanks

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry brother, I respectfully disagree. There is a reason why Mag’s have the reputation they have…. I challenge you to go on any forum regarding the difficulty level of these anemones…Easy will not be in the title. Perhaps you are the exception to the rule…or maybe I am.

Speaking from my own personal experience, while these anemones are majestic… acclimating them can be very difficult unless they are bought locally and come from a line of anemones reared in aquariums; maybe then I would agree with you. I would caution anyone tempted to keep them make sure they have the experience, patience and the capability otherwise you are asking for trouble…..

This is an interesting point. I recall someone alleging that magnifica/ritteri anemones are as easy as BTAs, once they are acclimated and get over the bacteria infection hump.

I'd be interested if people think this is true. (it might have been @OrionN but I'm not sure. Either way, he I think has a lot of experience on this front. :D )

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting point. I recall someone alleging that magnifica/ritteri anemones are as easy as BTAs, once they are acclimated and get over the bacteria infection hump.

I'd be interested if people think this is true. (it might have been @OrionN but I'm not sure. Either way, he I think has a lot of experience on this front. :D )
Having both, i still standby my statement. While it doesnt require nearly the amount of attention when i first got it; i believe it wouldn't fair well if water quality went down hill, BTA's will readily split in a reef tank even under imperfect conditions.

Last edited:

pgravis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw these on sea dwellings Facebook. Had my lfs try and order and it was gone. Haven’t seen anything like it since. But id love to see more of them!
3DA39EE8-C094-4631-A197-43233D491ABE.jpeg

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having both, i still standby my statement. While it doesnt require nearly the amount of attention when i first got it; i believe it wouldn't fair well if water quality went down hill, BTA's will readily split in a reef tank even under imperfect conditions.
Cool, thanks! The various posts I've read here definitely suggest water quality is especially important for mags. (e.g. if they're prone to bacteria infections, and they get one, they'll deflate and spit the bacteria out. In most parts of the ocean there's a lot of water to dilute it in, but in a tank they may be just adding to the recirculating bacteria load)

Mags generally live on fore-reefs, IIRC - with lots of water flowing all around, lots of light (300+ par?), and thus very clean water. BTAs live in a variety of areas - and, crucuially, in in areas of high light, live in shaded areas. Optimum lighting might be 100-300 PAR I found an academic article suggesting as much.

ETA: ref: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/par-in-the-wild-at-depth.715641/

Anyway, this is high interest to me because I'm planning to set up a new upper fore reef/SPS heavy tank this year, and keep either a BTA + pink skunks (A. pederaion) or a Mag with ocellaris. If a mag is really significantly harder than a BTA (kept a BTA before), I may just go back to the BTA.

Last edited:

Voypok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got him at the end of March he was white and small...
IMG_4869.jpeg

And it took my clowns six months to choose him as a host...

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard question. I love my maxi mini carpets, my rock nems and of course my malus and haddoni. If I had to choose one, it would be rock nems for color. Malus for my clowns though. My clarkiis are wonderful in them. Love seeing it. These guys are much larger now. Pic from a while ago.
female clarki.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back