The coral I thought I couldn’t grow is growing rapidly

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some easy, beginner corals for my biocube 32g (that has stock LED lights). The place threw in a sunset monti frag for free. I didn’t think my lights could support even an easy SPS. I moved my little frag up to the top of the tank and hoped for the best. And in just a month, look at the growth! I didn’t really notice until tonight and had to go back and look at pictures.
4A63A8B2-D9DE-47C7-84CB-DF4F446DB179.jpeg

DB287F56-B2A1-4F0D-8079-5F95B2AC78AA.jpeg

So now the big question. I’m supposed to get my nanobox reef retrofit kit tomorrow and now I wonder if it’ll be too bright for this monti. Because of course I glued the frag down in place at the top of the tank!

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thanks! I think it’ll be really pretty in the tank. I know there’s a recommended acclimation schedule for those lights that starts at 30%. I mainly wanted them to get a better blue in the lights.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a normal growth rate for this coral?
I have had sps frags that stay dormant for a while and then all of a sudden they explode with growth. As was said above, when they r happy are they are the fastest growers.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be a nodosa, wise advice others have been giving about being cautious where you place a coral, esp with encrusting montipora, you have to plan ahead for future growth and real estate availability in the tank.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be a nodosa, wise advice others have been giving about being cautious where you place a coral, esp with encrusting montipora, you have to plan ahead for future growth and real estate availability in the tank.
It's sunset montipora.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back