The curios case of dKH, why won't it steadily drop?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting the questions upfront:
1. Why did the dKH initially continue to rise with no dosing and a 1g daily AWC with 7.5dKH salt mix?
2. After 14 days with no dosing and a 1g daily AWC with 7.5dKH salt mix, why is it still not steadily coming down?

Details:
I have a mature 7+ year old mixed 34g reef aquarium. Over the last several months I have been preparing for a ULM new build. Mid august, as part of that transition, I implemented an AWC and decided to switch to the Triton method using GHL KH Director. I was using IO Reef Salt and unaware of it's high 11dKH. The AWC was doing 1g per day and my tank dKH was around 8 and Triton Core 7 supplements were being added to the tank. By the end of August, my dKH was getting to 10 with the minimum dose (I hadn't suspected the salt yet). So in September, after I was comfortable, I switched over to having the KH Director automatically adjust the dose with a target of 8dKH. With the KH Director controlling the dosing (dosing nothing due to high dKH), the numbers came back down and were stable around 8dKH. Then by early October, the tank was consistently getting higher and higher dKH and no dosing was happening. I decided to test my AWC water and found what I thought was the source of the high dKH. So I decided to switch up my salt mix to Brightwell Neomarine which has a 7.5 dKH. Switch was made 2 weeks ago. During the 1st couple days after the switch, the dKH in my tank kept rising. After a week of the new salt mix, I hit 10.6dKH. 10 days after that high, I am at 9.3 and it's been bouncing and not a steady decline.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley
Other then the AWC, the only thing that has been added besides food is Red Sea Reef Energy Plus.

Mostly softies in the tank plus a medium clam, a small Jack-o-lantern, small Kung Poa, and small Walt Disney. So I wasn't expecting a high demand. However, at this point, I've changed out over 14gal of a 34gal tank.

I also have a deep sand bed.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just got a Hanna Nitrate Checker...I look at those numbers next.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to show the unexpected rise after switching salts. I switched over right before it went over 9dKH.

SmartSelect_20201101-132148_GHL Connect.jpg

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New salt water is Neomarine. Very consistently around 7ish. Measuring using Hanna checker. The main tank is measured and recorded using GHL KH Director. I've also compared the Hanna to the GHL and found them to be no more then .1 apart.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back