Status
Not open for further replies.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped myself because arguing about "Global Warming" (as it was called for most of my life) is a bottomless pit of back-and-fourths and everyone is playing with data/information that's incomplete and misrepresented. But I love the topic! Maybe we really should start a dedicated thread.

Thanks for the continued discussion. Someone earlier was talking about how it was too bad that alternative ideas are so often ignored. I think if you want alternative ideas to be taking more seriously, you should consider using accurate terminology, rather that outdated terminology.

There is no reason I can see to pull out competing data - the evidence is massive and compelling. This is the same reason why using water temperature as an in reef tank treatment combat crypto is largely ignored - the evidence that it won't work is massive and compelling.

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no reason I can see to pull out competing data - the evidence is massive and compelling.

Why do you hold this opinion that there's no need to present competing data?

You've stated more than once in this thread that the evidence is massive and compelling - there are many many people who have seen the same evidence and disagree with your conclusion. Some question the data's accuracy. Some question the credibility of the presenters.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read and listened to many arguments both for and against climate change and have come to the conclusion that we have a problem with division and distrust of others in the USA.

This isn’t caused by Trump or Obama. It’s been slowly building for years now.

Just accept that people come from different backgrounds and have different opinions. If you act ignorant, you’ll be talked to as such. If you act like an elitist, same thing; just more inane arguing.

We need to fix ourselves, first, before we can fix the reefs. That’s going to take one side to break the “we won, it’s our turn now” cycle.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once facts become opinions we are doomed

and that's exactly where we are.

Bad data that's been tampered with proves nothing. It also disproves nothing. It's just junk.

We are still throwing virgins into volcanoes to appease the gods. We not only cant fix the environment, we cant even slow down harming it. We no longer sufficiently educate people to function in a society.
Educated people act to protect the environment because it is in their best interests.
That was done away with. I will leave why for you to figure out.

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once facts become opinions we are doomed

and that's exactly where we are.

Bad data that's been tampered with proves nothing. It also disproves nothing. It's just junk.

We are still throwing virgins into volcanoes to appease the gods. We not only cant fix the environment, we cant even slow down harming it. We no longer sufficiently educate people to function in a society.
Educated people act to protect the environment because it is in their best interests.
That was done away with. I will leave why for you to figure out.
Educated people are aware of the sacrifices that will need to be made to fix what’s messed up. There’s far more incentive for those pushing the narrative that climate change is a hoax. The clean air act brought visible change to the environment with reduction of smog. You can actually see science fix the environment.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you hold this opinion that there's no need to present competing data?
You've stated more than once in this thread that the evidence is massive and compelling - there are many many people who have seen the same evidence and disagree with your conclusion. Some question the data's accuracy. Some question the credibility of the presenters.
I am a coral scientist working of coral spawning, reef restoration, reef rehabilitation, and science communication.
Some question all kinds of evidence, but that doesn't mean that that questioning is something we should entertain. There are people that say that ginger cures ich, rock salt is fine for reef tanks, and that fish grow to the size of their tanks, but these have been shown to not be the case enough that we really shouldn't be talking about them seriously anymore (unless provided extreme evidence). Climate science, which is way more complicated, subtle and nuanced, is more robust than reef aquarium science, and most of the questioning of the evidence has been looked at enough that we really don't need to be talking about seriously it anymore. That said, we are always on the look out for new, compelling counter evidence, but almost all of what has been put forward recently are retreads of old positions, when, every day, we get more and more strong evidence supporting the climate science conclusions.

I hope you don't take any of that as jerky or elitist, I am trying to be straightforward, so if anything about the way I have communicated rubs you the wrong way please let me know so I can do better. Thanks.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have noticed that educated people that live where the environment has been completely eradicated are very interested in telling everyone else what to do about it.

Good. Maybe you should listen to them. WV in particular has seen wanton environmental destruction. It wouldn’t be such a bad thing for the government to listen to the egg heads and maybe stop industry from literally removing mountain tops in a grotesquely destructive pursuit of more and more money.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL
same as it ever was.

Wild & Wonderful and a real crying shame. I for one would very much like for our reefs to not end up all looking like this. We can stop this crap.

7EE9506B-924E-44BB-AE79-2A135A74FF85.jpeg

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good. Maybe you should listen to them. WV in particular has seen wanton environmental destruction. It wouldn’t be such a bad thing for the government to listen to the egg heads and maybe stop industry from literally removing mountain tops in a grotesquely destructive pursuit of more and more money.

This why I don't bother.

There is more natural ecology in a reclaimed strip mine than
here
serveimage

Or here
serveimage

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you turn off your air conditioning we could stop digging coal to run it. Now you want to put up giant ugly windmills that kill all the birds. By the time they strip the trees and build the roads for access it's as bad as a strip mine.

LOL You are not ecologically friendly. You just think you are

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This why I don't bother.

There is more natural ecology in a reclaimed strip mine than
here
serveimage

Or here
serveimage

Please, by all means, live up to your word, and stop bothering then. This is supposed to be a thread on the plight of the reefs. The Situation is dire enough without your tripe added to it.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this thread about corals or about man made climate change and who to blame for it?

Someone please wake me up when corals come back into the picture, I was interested until it rtn’ed into educated vs uneducated people, gas guzzlers, and modern cities.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this thread about corals or about man made climate change and who to blame for it?

Someone please wake me up when corals come back into the picture, I was interested until it rtn’ed into educated vs uneducated people, gas guzzlers, and modern cities.
Per the link that this thread is discussing, it is about corals, how they are being destroyed by climate change, and what efforts are being undertaken currently in order To have options for at least attempting to save the reefs. That is what it is meant to be about. There is absolutely no question, posed by any serious or credible people, about the genesis of climate change. Therefore, The genesis of climate ate change does not need to be discussed in this thread.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What do you want to know?

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do wish I knew more about all this stuff. I can’t help but think about the role of zooxanthellae in a corals health. The link talks about being as diverse as possible. Could repopulating corals with a different strain of zooxanthellae make a difference? Does it even work like that? Maybe I’m way off course. I’m a simple man. I’ve seen caddyshack 1000 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back