The decomposing phytoplankton and how can we possibly benefit from it in a Reef.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just freeze dried phytoplankton (20ml according with the spoon provided) and bacteria from the tank

I'm not sure how the nitrate can decline from decomposing phyto, or how the alk declines that much without a big increase in nitrate.

I'd keep watching to see if the values are reproducible and trend in any particular direction.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how the nitrate can decline from decomposing phyto, or how the alk declines that much without a big increase in nitrate.

I'd keep watching to see if the values are reproducible and trend in any particular direction.
Thanks, this was only observed in day two, day 3 and 4 I’ve only dosed a small amount (2ml) and only nh4 was noticeable at 0.5 ppm higher. On the plus side this experiment did outcompete photosynthetic dinoflagellates in under 5 days, I’m thinking due an increase in Heterotrophic bacteria (the herbivore species) as they the main decomposers of plants.
I’ve moved the thread to the main forum as I felt guilty in spamming your section of the forum.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 73 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back