The definitive answer to why a gem tang costs so much

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Pieces of the Ocean

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I saw a thread asking this a while ago. And I get asked this question almost every time a customer sees our gem tangs. Having dealt directly with the supplier and those in the chain of custody through which gem tangs go through, I am in a position to give true insights as to why it costs so much, and hopefully clear the air for many that are simply baffled by these prices.

The high price of a fish is brought on by the tangible effort and risks it takes to collect (depth) and/or transport (location) the fish to the trade. This applies to all saltwater fish species collected in the wild. In the case of gem tang it is mostly location.

If you don't already know, gem tangs are collected in Mauritius only. If you look it up on the map, it is practically in the middle of nowhere. The closest lands to it are Reunion, Madagascar, Mayotte, Comoros, and Seychelles - and they are all islands!

Here's the map that shows the location of Mauritius:
mauritius_map.jpg

Mauritius is actually a world-class destination island. Looking at the map makes you wonder how you would even get there. For a long time airport authorities tried to establish the island's exclusivity by allowing only Air Mauritius and established national carriers such as like British Airways and Air France, which restricted access and kept ticket prices exaggeratedly high. In recent years that policy has loosened up a bit but the effect lingers. I do not know how much a plane ticket costs but it is definitely not like flying to Indonesia.

So let's imagine having to fly from Mauritius to LAX. You are already getting an idea of where this is going. And of course, flying only one fish half-way around the world makes no sense. For what we're paying on freight, we need to order a few boxes of fish to make this trip worthwhile. And this is required by all exporters simply because they rely on volume to make their margin. Those in the freight business know how much freight can cost. We are basically shipping water, and freight is charged by weight. See where this is going?

By the time the boxes arrive at LAX, everyone that has anything to do with the shipment will need to be compensated, from the diver, driver, packer, airport freight workers, etc. Not to mention fuel (expensive) for the boat to go out to collect, and equipments etc. And it has not even gotten to the store yet. And the wholesaler will have to make money (surprise) and they also have to account for any losses occurred after a 20+ hour flight. Guarantee policy on a import shipment is not like your P.O.T.O. Conditioned policy. I'll just leave it at that.

Then finally, a reputable retailer would have to condition the fish, take on more risks and incur more expenses before the customer even lays eye on it. After all is said and done, you're looking at a price the reflects the amount of tangible effort it took to bring this gem tang safely from the ocean to our aquarium, while compensating everyone that participated in that effort.

To put this in perspective, in Europe, the gem tang costs about 1/3 as much and a yellow tang is priced like a purple tang in Europe.

Final note - whenever someone says a fish is "rare", it does not mean it's rare in the wild. If it was I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be allowed to collect it. There are no rare fish in the hobby. We just have fish that take a lot of effort to make available to the hobby.

I hope this helped answer any question people have about the high prices of our fish. Now someone please explain to me why the bounce mushroom costs more than a gem tang. Is it from Mars?

Kenny

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't it also true that there's a limit on how many gem tangs you can bring in per shipment? I was always under the impression that part of the high cost was to compensate for the fact that you are forced to buy a bunch of common "filler" fish at very high prices to finish off the box, and then you have to sell those fish basically at cost and rely on the few gem tangs to make a profit. (Full disclosure- I've seen the Mauritius export list; these fish are expensive right from the get-go.)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Excellent write-up!

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now can you explain to me why people pay so much money for a black fish? If I pay a lot for something, I dont want it to look like a shadow swimming by.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now can you explain to me why people pay so much money for a black fish? If I pay a lot for something, I dont want it to look like a shadow swimming by.
Are you referring to the black tang? I'd guess it's similar reasons as those discussed above. I say to each his own. If you like 'em and want 'em, buy 'em. If not, don't. :) Lots of guys love those black tangs.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is wrong with black fish you racist?

Lol, I am kidding. I heard that joke on the radio. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was cause the few shipping fish out of Mauritius are smart and only ship one gem tang per order of so much bread and butter fish (I don't know the exact amount). I understand they come from far away but it's more smart business than location. I honestly don't think Gems or zebra tangs are all that scarce. The fact that they only come from one location though, and the amount of collectors are limited gives the exporters all the leverage to limit how many leave the country. Prices would be half if they shipped whole boxes of gems.

If it was simply a madder of location, Austrailian fish would be just as bad.

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was illegal to fish those waters for gem tangs? Thats why they were so expensive?

ReeferAlex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Kenny for the info. Makes me appreciate this little guy in my avatar next to my bandit that much more ; )

P.s. thanks again Darrell, I love this little dude, so much spunk in him.

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info, i never knew they were like you said "in the middle of no where" Even without reading that picture explains a whole lot

Ezeke1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maneeka Gurroby talks about how her family collect the gem tang in Mauritius during MACNA 2014. There is a very limited amount of permits given out by the government that allows the collection of gem tangs. This in part limits the supply and is a contributing factor (in addition to all of Kenny's points) to the cost.

Heres the BRS link to the talk for anyone interested. It's quite fascinating really.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video...s-in-Mauritius-by-Meneeka-Gurroby-MACNA-2014/

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back