vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This has worked for dozens and dozens of people and is super easy
Here is full program:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I setup my UV sterilizer a few days ago and have been stirring the sand and blowing rocks off constantly. The coolia just keeps reappearing on the sand after a couple hours of light.

If my NO3 is steady at 25 and PO4 at .1, what is going to cause the dinos to die off and not return? I get it that the UV is killing what passes through the sterilizer, but it isn’t processing everything.

I don’t run anything but filter socks and a skimmer.

So what is going to keep dinos from multiplying and continuing to be a problem?

We talk about adding “competition” like diatoms but at the same time to NOT use chaeto because it will lower nutrients.

So what are the dinos competing with if there is no other algae in the tank? I have 5 tangs that won’t allow enough algae to take off to provide any kind of competition.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take another look under the microscope. Ostreopsis almost completely dissappears at night. Suspect you have more than just ostreopsis.

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 years later still have them. Running uv in the dark for months has done nothing. And yes they ran in the main tank. Its just about killed all my fish now, they keep eating them. Nothing works. So sick of this.
What worked for me was using Microbacter Clean and Microbacter7 together along with siphoning as much as I could off the rocks/glass through 5 micron filter socks twice/week and then adding the filtered water back to the tank through another 5 micron sock. I also stopped doing water changes, I now do them once per month. In my 75 gallon I was dosing 40mL of MB Clean and 20mL of MB7 twice/week after siphoning. In a tank your size this would be 320 mL of MB Clean and 160mL of MB7 twice/week in your tank along after siphoning. I didn't raise my nutrients (I have 2 nitrates and 0.00 phosphates on Hannah LR), I didn't use UV or blackouts. I have a thread here talking about it and some pictures of how dosing removes cyano in my tank without any intervention from me.

ctcarper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may find this crazy but I’ve been battling Dinos (Ostreopsis) and I’ve done everything 5 day black outs, frequent water changes, over feeding to get phosphates up, I found an article where a reefer figured out that raising temp kills them. So I raised my temp slowly to 83 (was 78) and the dinos went away. Not sure it will help but thought I’d share.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.0%
Back