The dollar general nano jar…experiment

Sailaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple months back, I was taking a stroll through the local dollar general. Well, one of 5, because when there’s one dollar general, there’s another. While looking in the sale section, I noticed a jar, a unique one at that. It was tilted sideways and looked a little..odd? Different? Strange? Anyway, I got an idea. an incredibly small macro algae jar. The jar holds around a half gallon, which isn’t much, but it fits nicely on my bookshelf. I bought some “live rock” from my LFS and it is just about as fake as fake can get, but it came with some algae, a tiny leather and a snail, so I can’t complain. Not much is happening so far, I don’t have a proper light yet and the heater hasn’t come in the mail. I have a small bubbler in the back to create some flow and some sand from my other tank. BUT, there are pods! Lots and lots of pods seemingly overnight. I plan on cycling it for a month or so and then I plan on adding a few macros and some tiny inverts.
13DB593A-80D1-43B3-8C91-5307DAA72A60.jpeg
AC1BB841-FAF9-43B5-80C4-8FD720B600A7.jpeg

OP
OP
Sailaway

Sailaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's cool I have always wanted to do a reef jar.
macros are cool what your stocking list.?
You should do one!
- caulerpa racemosa
- branching coralline algae
- coin halimeda
- grape caulerpa
- green polyp leather
- encrusting gorgonian
- some small snails/maybe shrimp

doing a sort of caribbean theme with this one, I may end up doing JUST caribbean/fl keys native species but this is my current stocking list.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should do one!
- caulerpa racemosa
- branching coralline algae
- coin halimeda
- grape caulerpa
- green polyp leather
- encrusting gorgonian
- some small snails/maybe shrimp

doing a sort of caribbean theme with this one, I may end up doing JUST caribbean/fl keys native species but this is my current stocking list.
nice list.
I am setting up 2 tanks right now. so plz no more my wallet hurts. haha
one tank will be a seahorse tank so lots of macros.

that is a nice list you have going. i would suggest tho red grape over the green grage caulerpa. just a thought.
:D

OP
OP
Sailaway

Sailaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice list.
I am setting up 2 tanks right now. so plz no more my wallet hurts. haha
one tank will be a seahorse tank so lots of macros.

that is a nice list you have going. i would suggest tho red grape over the green grage caulerpa. just a thought.
:D
My wallet hurts too, haha.
Seahorses! I would love to have some one day.
Also, Red grape is pretty. :)

OP
OP
Sailaway

Sailaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s really cool! Is it just an air stone attached? How’d you set it up?
Thanks! I actually took the air stone off and just poked the tubing with a needle to put some holes in it since the stone was creating too many bubbles. I put a clear bead on the end to seal it off, it works fairly well. I’ll snap a picture tomorrow.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your writing style! You are so comical and descriptive with your writing, especially the part when you went to 5 dollar stores and how you described the odd jar on a shelf.

Following! :D

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple months back, I was taking a stroll through the local dollar general. Well, one of 5, because when there’s one dollar general, there’s another. While looking in the sale section, I noticed a jar, a unique one at that. It was tilted sideways and looked a little..odd? Different? Strange? Anyway, I got an idea. an incredibly small macro algae jar. The jar holds around a half gallon, which isn’t much, but it fits nicely on my bookshelf. I bought some “live rock” from my LFS and it is just about as fake as fake can get, but it came with some algae, a tiny leather and a snail, so I can’t complain. Not much is happening so far, I don’t have a proper light yet and the heater hasn’t come in the mail. I have a small bubbler in the back to create some flow and some sand from my other tank. BUT, there are pods! Lots and lots of pods seemingly overnight. I plan on cycling it for a month or so and then I plan on adding a few macros and some tiny inverts.
13DB593A-80D1-43B3-8C91-5307DAA72A60.jpeg
AC1BB841-FAF9-43B5-80C4-8FD720B600A7.jpeg
Crazy idea but I like it!!!

Back