The Dory Story!

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys know the story...guy dating girl wants guy to buy a nemo and dory. Me knowing it probably isn't the best idea....does what girl wants LOL....would be end of story in a month but this dory is a fighter!
Anyway i started my tank back in June of 2007 and within a month my GF (back then) talked me into getting a nemo and dory. As bad as that sounds, that movie is probably the reason that i got the tank there is an upside. Tank Police hide your eyes or skip to the bottom....i had no clue what i was in for but we had a quarter sized dory in a 29g Biocube!! Heck i blame the tang police for not having many pics since i made sure she wasn't in them :sad:

Here are a few early pics before i jumped on forums and realized i was going to jail!
July 2007
07072.jpg

07076.jpg

So the months rolled on and dory grew. Seemed a happy little fish but unfortunately i knew eventually she was gonna have to go. I had her for exactly a year and she nearly tripled in size. She ate tons of nori, pellets, frozen and just about anything else. Never had any bouts with ich or any other disease. I felt pretty accomplished!!

These pics are the only ones i could find over the year i had her...shame on you tang police. By the way they are really fuzzy but at least you can see the size reference.

11/2007
cimg0686p.jpg

4/2008
april21081.jpg

So i knew the time was coming and my GF was going to be devastated if dory left. Luckily her brother (Mike my soon to be brother-in-law) kept a 46 bowfront. He never really did anything but a FOWLR tank so i figured it would be perfect. So Dory got a new home and it was close enough that no one was sad...yeah i liked dory too :smile:

Over time i helped Mike work on his tank and try to keep some softies. Figured it was a good way to keep an eye on Dory. She was very shy with the new tank and her new tankmate was a Maroon Clown bigger than her called "Evil Nemo". This guy has been around since 2004 and lets just say Mike didn't really kind up with his tank all the time. Evil nemo was a true survivor. Anyway eventually the two became friends and Dory nearly doubled in size again.

A few months back Dory had a mystery illness or disease. I scouted the forums and still to this day am not sure what happened. She started turning black. Slowly her entire body just became black and even her eyes had a black cover. It was very scary and we both thought she was done for. But she continued to eat and slowly her color just returned. Today almost 4 years later she is doing great even though the tank is still small. Hoping that once i do my upgrade i can take her back and watch her continue to grow.....even meet back up with her own original nemo...yep i still have him too!! Thanks for reading!!

Here are a few pics recently - Notice the weird spot under her eye, its on both sides - anything to worry about?

dsc0421ut.jpg

dsc0417.jpg

Evil Nemo
dsc0420l.jpg

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woop woop. That's the sound of the police.

Run dude run!!!

Tang-Police.jpg

Oh snap there here already. Lolz.....

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol i know i know.....slap some cuffs on me! Wasnt my fault and i should get a lesser sentence since she is still doing very well!!

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:nerd:

The things a man will do for his mate. And yes that one stubborn tang...

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have a tank and actually know what you are doing I will not flip out for calling the species dori and nemo. I hear " I want a nemo fish or a dori" atleast 3 times a day. The next runner up is "Look I found nemo". Real creative. :)

The fact that you did remove it is what counts. Still looking healthy. I love blue hippos.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah the things our significant others think are important about our beloved hobby...

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice story!

My Hippo actually had the same thing happen. It was 1/2 solid black and the rest was regular color and then one day it was back to normal. It never acted sick but it's colors were odd,idk what it was either.

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice story!

My Hippo actually had the same thing happen. It was 1/2 solid black and the rest was regular color and then one day it was back to normal. It never acted sick but it's colors were odd,idk what it was either.

Thanks - I wonder if anyone else had that happen. I searched all over and found nothing. Did anyone mention what it was??

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope nothing, it was really weird because it started as his lines getting thicker. Then over about a week he was halfway black!

I never found what it was either.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have a tank and actually know what you are doing I will not flip out for calling the species dori and nemo. I hear " I want a nemo fish or a dori" atleast 3 times a day. The next runner up is "Look I found nemo". Real creative. :)

The fact that you did remove it is what counts. Still looking healthy. I love blue hippos.

Yes this is a pet peeve of mine.. I'll let it go with the little kids but when I'm at the LFS and I hear grown ppl say this it annoyes me..

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had problems getting these that are that small to live,Im not sure why!

Cool story!I like to read these!

Tang police are gone for now...IDK where they went...

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Really? In my experience, blue hippos normally have better odds for survival when purchased as babies than >4". Some collection sites have better survival odds than others as well.

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the comments!! Yeah i know the tang police can be a rough crowd lol. The LFS i got them from usually gets very heatlhy batches of fish and does a good job running their store.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always bought the larger ones cause the stores here tiny ones always look weak and not healthy.

River_Styx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spotting on her face often appears in tangs that arent getting enough marine algae/not getting nutritional needs met. I usually put in strips of seaweed and it helps prevent more scarring and helps what they do have get better.

The scarring can also continue further down the body if it gets really bad. Look up 'head and lateral line erosion'.

Last edited:
Back