The DOs and DON’Ts of Quarantine

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by Humblefish, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor Louisiana Reef Club Partner Member 2018

IMO; that's just insane. I've seen public aquariums drop a fish from 35ppt to 12ppt (full hypo) in about 12 hrs via slow drip. But doing so instantly would likely send most fish into osmotic shock after 5-10 minutes.

melypr1985 likes this.

2. linus.chan

linus.chan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply- I wanted to make sure before I tried this, and so now I know I won't. even if I do use hypo, I will acclimate it slower, rather than just dropping it in.

Humblefish likes this.
  3. linus.chan

linus.chan Well-Known Member

Though with the use of freshwater dips it wasn't out of the range of possibility that a drop in salinity wouldn't hurt.

4. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor Louisiana Reef Club Partner Member 2018

FW dip only lasts 5 mins, not long enough to cause a rapid change in the movement of water across a fish's cells.

melypr1985 likes this.
  5. Robink

Robink Well-Known Member

Very helpful info. Have to come back occasionally, can't remember everything! Thank you @Humblefish .:D

Humblefish likes this.
  6. OceanL0ver

OceanL0ver Well-Known Member

Humblefish,
    I have a sand sifting goby. How will it survive in quarantine with sand to sift?

7. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Expert Contributor Article Contributor

You can put a small glass bowl with sand in it into the QT for him. He will be fine with that.

Humblefish likes this.
  8. Humblefish

+1

9. holly

holly Saltwater Addict R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award

If you use the Tank Transfer Method, that sand needs to be completely replaced with every transfer, right?

code4 likes this.
  10. Humblefish

Yes, nothing can be reused from the previous tank without being disinfected first. That would require a lot of drying time for sand.

melypr1985 and holly like this.
  11. rockstarta78

rockstarta78 Well-Known Member

I'm in the process of receiving a flame angel. I know dwarf angels don't do well with copper. I have both cupramine and coppersafe, but I'm not going to risk it. My question is, can I use prazipro on flame angel?

Ooh before I forget currently the qt has a pair of bangii cardinal. I haven't added any medication yet. Will it be ok to put prazipro with bangii cardinal and flame angel in the tank?

12. Humblefish

Yes, but take care not to overdose.

Yes

13. rockstarta78

rockstarta78 Well-Known Member

Thank you @Humblefish . I think I will wait few days to make sure it is eating properly before doing Prazi. Some Flame Angels can be finicky eaters.

Humblefish likes this.
  14. DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28 Well-Known Member

I think my brain is in overload right now. Lol this information is amazing. I am still fuzzy on couple things:

1) I have a Bristletooth tang and flame angel coming on Tuesday. I have since decided to not use the cupramine I bought and ordered coppersafe and the appropriate API test kit. It seems pretty unanimous that this is better for the more sensitive dwarf angel. I can next day air it for Tuesday or get it on Wednesday regular shipping from amazon. Should I start the medication same day or wait? I can't determine what is better.
    2) I bought pazipro also. Should I start with pazipro for 5-7 days then carbon for a few days to then go with coppersafe? How long with carbon before doing the coppersafe? I read that it only is active for 72 hours? So by day 5 I could carbon for how long and then do a water change (20%?) and begin copper?
    3) I lowered my SG to 1.024 because the fish should arrive at 1.021 to 1.023 according to the shipper. After I acclimate should I raise the SG or lower it? I do not have fish in my DT yet but thought to keep it at 1.026 which seems to be preferred.
    4) what temperature for pazipro and copper? I have it steady at 77.5 to 77.8 right now.
    5) how often should I do waterchanges and what percentage. I have an ammonia badge but want to stay in front of ammonia spikes. I have dual sponge filters in a 10 Gallon and have bio spiral added after seeding the sponges in my Dt for a month.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks for the awesome information!

15. Humblefish

I would wait until you see both fish eat before slowly ramping the Cu level up (5-7 days to reach full therapeutic.)

Where are the fish coming from? I can usually tell you from that whether to start Prazipro or copper first.

Hold steady until you are a week or two away from putting them in the DT. Then slowly raise the SG by topping off with saltwater instead of RODI.

I would lower it to 75-76, so there is more dissolved O2 in the water.

So long as ammonia remains nil, I only do WCs to suck poop/uneaten food off the bottom.

16. DSmithZ28

Getting both fish from saltwaterfish.com they had a really nice sale on a whitetail bristletooth I couldn't pass up and then I got the free flame angel deal.

17. Humblefish

I think I would treat with copper first. In a pinch, you can mix Prazipro with copper but do provide additional gas exchange when combining the two.

18. DSmithZ28

W
    what does in a pinch mean? If I observe flukes or worms? If I dose copper for 4 weeks and I detect nothing should I skip the Prazipro?

19. Humblefish

If you are already treating with copper and suspect the fish might also have flukes, then I would use Prazipro in conjunction with copper.

I (personally) always deworm using prazi whether I see symptoms of worms or not. Either before or after copper.

DSmithZ28 likes this.
  20. Paul B

Paul B Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Humble, what would happen if I put Prizapro on my blackworms? :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted