The DOs and DON’Ts of Quarantine

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bumping this thread because it's extremely helpful.

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have an opinion of Ruby Reef's HydroPlex when used as a dip for incoming livestock (as opposed to a simple FW dip)? I've got a couple of pretty high end wrasse coming in soon and in addition to my normal Prazi/Coppersafe protocol (ramped up slowly, I know), I was advised to give this product a try. As there is no list of ingredients on the bottle, I thought I'd try to solicit someone with experience first.

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are getting a tang and you treat with prazi, do you prophalactically treat with copper?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are getting a tang and you treat with prazi, do you prophalactically treat with copper?

Due to their susceptibly to ectoparasites, I always treat tangs with either copper or CP.

Undertaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as long as you use Micro7 ,bio-spira, stability, or something in that nature on biomedia, you don’t have to use cycled water out of you DT

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as long as you use Micro7 ,bio-spira, stability, or something in that nature on biomedia, you don’t have to use cycled water out of you DT
I tried stability, Dr. Tim's, and bio Spira. I couldn't establish a biofilter while the CP was in the water.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

None of these products work instantly; it can take a few days for the bacteria to colonize bio-media and begin propagating themselves. At this point you only have a "weak" working biofilter, which will be strengthened in time or you can continue to dose bacteria in a bottle to reinforce their numbers. The name of the game here is to saturate a sponge, or whatever bio-media you are using, with as much nitrifying bacteria as it can possibly house. Once that is achieved, pushing good flow through it is all you really need to have a healthy biological filter for breaking down ammonia.

As @jasonrusso pointed out, it is difficult for bacteria to get established while meds are in the water. The bacteria need to already be entrenched before dosing, because their numbers will take a hit before adapting to the medication. Therefore, in an emergency situation where dosing meds is needed ASAP and bio-media has not already been seeded, your best bet is to seed it in a small bucket with saltwater and an airstone. After a week or so, you can move the now seeded bio-media into the QT biofilter for use.

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this has been covered but which meds will I need to for my quarantine? Im online right now ready to order everything I'll need to ensure I'm pest free and disease free.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this has been covered but which meds will I need to for my quarantine? Im online right now ready to order everything I'll need to ensure I'm pest free and disease free.

Depends what fish illnesses you’re trying to get rid of.

I always keep the following meds (coppersafe, general cure, metro, kanaplex, furan 2, focus) on hand when QTing. With these, I’m capable of curing Ich, flukes, internal worms/parasites, bacteria infections.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to do prophylactic treatment while in quarantine. So will I still need all the must haves? I don't mind spending the money but I just want to overdo it by getting more than I need. And assuming all prophylactic treatment is done properly I wouldn't necessarily need some of the other stuff correct? I have a 185g tank that has finished cycling and ill be adding pods to and feeding phyto to build the pod population. I'll also ghost feed so the bacteria continues to build. In the meantime I want to get a couple clowns and maybe another 1 or 2 fish to put in my 20g quarantine so they can he transported soon after. Am I doing this correctly?

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are already treating with copper and suspect the fish might also have flukes, then I would use Prazipro in conjunction with copper.

I (personally) always deworm using prazi whether I see symptoms of worms or not. Either before or after copper.
SeaChems FAQ re: cupramine states that it is effective against "gill flukes" so why both copper and prazipro? Not criticizing in any way, just trying to understand.

http://www.seachem.com/cupramine.php

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SeaChems FAQ re: cupramine states that it is effective against "gill flukes" so why both copper and prazipro? Not criticizing in any way, just trying to understand.

In my experience, copper isn't really an effective treatment for flukes. As in, they can be completely ineffective. I can't speak for Seachem's recommendation, but I have definitely seen fluke infestations in tanks with copper (ionic & chelated).

Prazi + freshwater dips are really the best treatments.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to do prophylactic treatment while in quarantine. So will I still need all the must haves? I don't mind spending the money but I just want to overdo it by getting more than I need. And assuming all prophylactic treatment is done properly I wouldn't necessarily need some of the other stuff correct? I have a 185g tank that has finished cycling and ill be adding pods to and feeding phyto to build the pod population. I'll also ghost feed so the bacteria continues to build. In the meantime I want to get a couple clowns and maybe another 1 or 2 fish to put in my 20g quarantine so they can he transported soon after. Am I doing this correctly?

For most prophylactic treatment, you would only need copper & Prazipro. However, if fish you were QTing had velvet (acriflavine or formalin) or developed a bacterial infection (antibiotics), then you would be in trouble unless you could source the medications in parentheses in a timely manner.

There is some evidence that copper will treat Gyrodactylus (FW flukes), but I've never been successful using it to treat Monogeneans (SW flukes). I believe @melypr1985 had similar results when she tried treating marine flukes with Coppersafe.

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to do a water change after cycling even though fish won't be introduced for about a month? Or can I get away with doing the water change before I introduce the fish.

Also as far as water changes go in the coral/invert (fallow) qt tank. How often should water changes be performed?

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand but when ordering they emailed me back asking what strength. Not sure what to say.
That does seem like a strange question. Possibly they think you are inquiring about tablets? You want the 99% pure powder.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand but when ordering they emailed me back asking what strength. Not sure what to say.

Diamondback's CP purity is 99-99.5%. What they probably want to know is how much of it do you want. I usually tell people to get 30 grams of the CP powder; that should last you 2-3 years easy.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back