The DOs and DON’Ts of Quarantine

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by Humblefish, Jun 14, 2015.

1. rockstarta78

rockstarta78 Well-Known Member

Oh and I have Merdel Coppersafe in hand.

2. mfinn

mfinn likes zoanthids R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

FWIW, when I've used Coppersafe in my quarantine tank with a wrasses, I add the copper in 1/4 doses on 4 consecutive days.
    I also make sure I have a well seeded air powered sponge filter in advance so water changes can be put off for the duration of the copper treatment.

Humblefish and rockstarta78 like this.
  3. Humblefish

Humblefish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

Looks good, except you can actually do the 25% WC on Day 8. Prazi only needs 24 hrs to do its job.

4. rockstarta78

rockstarta78 Well-Known Member

Thank you. The fish actually died in less then 24hrs and before I could medicate the tank. I wanted to giver it 24hrs n eating well before medicating. It wad fine yesterday, I don't know what happened over night. It even barried itself in the sand (I had a Tupperware of sand) this morning it was just hanging out by the HOB filter. And now it's dead. This is very depressing. I have no clue what happened. The body looked fine. I'm going to call the lfs when they open on Wednesday.

5. Humblefish

Humblefish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

:(

6. HBColleen

HBColleen New Member

great article - thank you!!

Humblefish likes this.
  7. becks

becks Well-Known Member

Ok, all fish are out for a second time :/ I think I know ich or velvet got past my qt procedure. I treated a fish with cupramine for 30 days and then used carbon to remove the copper, I left him in their for a few weeks after. I think a cyst must have released torments after the copper was removed.

And went undected for a few weeks, until I saw my clownfish today with multiple spots and my wrasse flashing & royal gramma flashing excessively.

My royal gramma looks the worse, I had no choice but put them straight into full strength cupramine. As one qt was empty with no water and the other had a diamond goby that was due to go into the DT. All the fish seem fine in the cupramine though, almost like nothing had happened.

How quickly will the copper treat the royal gramma as he definitely looked like he was coming down quickly. I caught it fast as everyone was fine yesterday and showed no signs.

I created quite a sand storm moving rocks and sand to catch them, I hope my corals etc will be fine. If I get an ammonia spike how quickly will it show up on a test kit?

The rock is about two years mature and the sandbed is about months.

#melypr1985
    #humblefish

8. Humblefish

@becks Copper provides no direct benefit to the fish, but rather protects them from reinfection. Once a fish has been placed in full therapeutic copper, you should see no more white spots after 4 days (for velvet) and 7 days (for ich).

With regards to your DT, I would be more concerned with sulfide getting released into the water (rotten egg smell) than an ammonia spike. Run carbon just in case.

9. becks

becks Well-Known Member

Ok great thanks, I’ll keep monitoring them. All my other fish show zero signs, watchman goby, springeri damsel, the other clownfish and copperband.

I also noticed my royal gramma tail fin has deteriorated, There’s 0 aggression in my tank so I don’t think it’s from nipping? What could cause velvet like symptoms with damage to the tail fin? Unless it’s a bacterial infection from velvet or from scratching??

No sulfide smell was released, I’ve smelt it in my previous tank. I have a shallow sandbed.

10. Humblefish

Could be from flukes or possibly a secondary infection.

11. becks

becks Well-Known Member

All seem to be doing ok, it may have been ich and not velvet maybe?? But my clownfish did have a lot of spots and I assumed that’s how you identify the difference between ich and velvet. My royal gramma and clownfish who looked the worse seem to be doing fine.

12. marcus aurelius

marcus aurelius Member

PLEASE HELP.
    So I’m up in the air with a QT tank. I know that it’s great to use one but I do have some questions. So my LFS has said QT tanks a great. But it is just added stress on the fish putting them in that environment because it is so different from the fish's normal environment.

I know that you say not to have sand and rock in the QT tank, but what about wrasses having no sand to hide in? Is using PVC fitting to hide in enough? Is there anything to use like fake aquarium decorations? Just to make it less stressful on the fish.

When I first started I did have a QT tank 29gal and I put 6 fish in it to start. Powder blue tang medium size, fairy wrasse, cleaner wrasse, 2 clown fish, and 2 blue chromis. But the problem was that my powder blue got so stressed out it died along with the cleaner wrasse and the blue chromis, after about a week. I’m just trying to figure out a way to have a QT that is less stressful on the fish.

So my DT has been running since the beginning of November. Like I said before I had stopped the QT tank. I had just been putting my fish directly in my DT. Everything was fine for a while. But a couple of weeks ago my PBT started showing signs of what I think was Ich or velvet.
    Since then I have lost PBT, yellow mimic tang, blue jaw trigger, both clown fish, radiant wrasse, black leopard wrasse, yellow goby, 2 cleaner wrasses, viloet dotty back, and both of my diamond gobys.
    Obviously bad idea on my part. ☹️

So I’m starting a new QT tank right now. 40 gallon bow front. Canister filter, heater, power head, sponge filter. So I can try and get what fish I have left. I have bought pretty much every kind of treatment. I was going to start with prazipro, then on to copper. And start that cycle. I’m going to use copper safe, or copper power. Which one would you all suggest? I’ve got some Dr. Tim’s bacteria to start the cycle. Can I run the filter floss with the Dr. Tim’s?
    I have a blonde naso tang, christmas wrasse, orange shoulder wrasse, blue sided wrasse, pencil wrasse, 3 fire gobys left.

13. dwwataz

dwwataz nuttier than a squirrel turd R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Soak the filter pad and biomax in the Dr. Tim's overnight. That'll give the qt a HUGE kick start. I was advised to do this after I finished ttm/hypo on 8 fish that got flukes/possibly ich from some snails and crabs. I've had zero ammonia despite feeding 2 wrasses and a dragonet a fairly hefty amount of food

Humblefish likes this.
  14. marcus aurelius

marcus aurelius Member

I was going to put the Dr. Tim’s in the canister filter and let the tank run over night before I add any fish.

15. dwwataz

dwwataz nuttier than a squirrel turd R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I'd suggest getting a bowl or Tupperware and soaking the Tim's directly into the media. If it isn't completely submerged, then top it off with FRESH SALTWATER. This is EXACTLY what I was told to do. My uneducated guess is it forces the bacteria to colonise the media. I had to setup 4 qts after ttm(and two wrasses I have coming next week) and all qts are reading 0 ammonia a week later

Humblefish likes this.
  16. dwwataz

17. marcus aurelius

marcus aurelius Member

I just don’t think I can wait over night. My naso tang isn’t doing so well.

18. dwwataz

I am by no means an expert.

Prior to ttm I did a freshwater dip on all my fish and put them into a clean qt. I believe??? Freshwater dips can provide temporary relief for even the really nasty stuff? Worst case scenario you could get a bucket of heated and we'll aerated ro water going. Dip each fish individually for 5 minutes. Stick them in your qt while the media soaks. If you have more than one bottle you could use one to soak and 1 to go into the it tonight

Humblefish likes this.
  19. dwwataz

Humblefish likes this.
  20. jasonrusso

jasonrusso Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

This is Exactly what I have been using for QT. I put them in a mesh bag in my DT sump and I pull out enough to fill the Aqueon filter on the QT tank. I then replenish the ones from the sump.

I toss the ceramic media after QT, it's cheap enough.

Humblefish likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted