The DOs and DON’Ts of Quarantine

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Drain, bleach, rinse well, vinegar bath (optional), rinse again, and allow to dry completely for 24-48 hours. Preferably in the sun.
What about the filter, heater etc? do these things also need to go through a thorough cleaning?

My solution is to by a new tank...that might be extreme though. lol

Currently treating new fish for Flukes, hoping they don't have any other issues!!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
What about the filter, heater etc? do these things also need to go through a thorough cleaning?

My solution is to by a new tank...that might be extreme though. lol

Currently treating new fish for Flukes, hoping they don't have any other issues!!
Everything that is part of the tank.

RichtheReefer21

Do It Yourself.
View Badges
Reaction score
I know u say not to mix anything between tanks regarding equipment. My question and situation is with the colder weather I am in need of a little buff to my DT's temp. It seems to be hovering around 75 since last month. The 300w heater doesnt seem to be keeping up enough.

I have a 200w ceramic heater that has been in my QT with cupramine for 4 months appx. Is there any manner is which I could move this heater from QT to DT or is it forever banned from the DT and I need to buy another?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
I know u say not to mix anything between tanks regarding equipment. My question and situation is with the colder weather I am in need of a little buff to my DT's temp. It seems to be hovering around 75 since last month. The 300w heater doesnt seem to be keeping up enough.

I have a 200w ceramic heater that has been in my QT with cupramine for 4 months appx. Is there any manner is which I could move this heater from QT to DT or is it forever banned from the DT and I need to buy another?
Soak the heater in a bucket with bleach for 24hrs. Then take it out and let it dry completely. I even have used a hair dryer for crevices.

Or simply buy another heater!

RichtheReefer21

Do It Yourself.
View Badges
Reaction score
Soak the heater in a bucket with bleach for 24hrs. Then take it out and let it dry completely. I even have used a hair dryer for crevices.

Or simply buy another heater!
Ok thanks. Pure bleach or like 50/50?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Ok thanks. Pure bleach or like 50/50?
50/50 will more than do the trick. Actually only one tablespoon per gallon is needed. That kills 99.9%. The other .1% will be taken care of by drying.

RichtheReefer21

Do It Yourself.
View Badges
Reaction score
50/50 will more than do the trick. Actually only one tablespoon per gallon is needed. That kills 99.9%. The other .1% will be taken care of by drying.
Money is a bit tight at the moment, hence why I was regretfully unable to do the partner membership.. shame shame.

Strawberry psuedo and starry blenny come out in 8 days and go into the DT and I'm planning on shutting it down and cleaning it out until my next batch of fish, which wont be for a while. Figured I'd save some cash and put the heater to use for the winter.

Thanks.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Money is a bit tight at the moment, hence why I was regretfully unable to do the partner membership.. shame shame.

Strawberry psuedo and starry blenny come out in 8 days and go into the DT and I'm planning on shutting it down and cleaning it out until my next batch of fish, which wont be for a while. Figured I'd save some cash and put the heater to use for the winter.

Thanks.
Hey I understand, you should be covered!

soffutt

View Badges
Reaction score
About to QT a Harlequin Tusk. Is it better to go with copper like other wrasses or is CP ok?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
About to QT a Harlequin Tusk. Is it better to go with copper like other wrasses or is CP ok?
I would use copper it isn't he lesser of two evils here...

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Two things - I TOTALLY missed the memo on reduced oxygen levels in the water when using copper. I lost a beautiful Desjardini as a result last week. Medications in combination with a a glass lid, inadequate gas exchange or even high temperatures can be deadly.

Second thing, what is everyone preferred method of filtration in QT. I have been using seeded sponge filters which have done the job well, but don't do a great job of removing detritus and crud. Perhaps a HOB power filter?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Two things - I TOTALLY missed the memo on reduced oxygen levels in the water when using copper. I lost a beautiful Desjardini as a result last week. Medications in combination with a a glass lid, inadequate gas exchange or even high temperatures can be deadly.

Second thing, what is everyone preferred method of filtration in QT. I have been using seeded sponge filters which have done the job well, but don't do a great job of removing detritus and crud. Perhaps a HOB power filter?

I use the air powered seeded sponge filter too.
I do use a small hang-on back filter with a sponge for mechanical filtration.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score

Yes oxygenation is the single most important factor when medicating.

I use marineland HOBs on all QTs. I take a razor and slice the bottom of the filter floss all the way across. Remove all carbon. Now you have a handy factory fit filter that will scrub the water nice and clean. Doesn't absorb copper and houses the biofilter very well!

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
I take a razor and slice the bottom of the filter floss all the way across. Remove all carbon. Now you have a handy factory fit filter that will scrub the water nice and clean. Doesn't absorb copper and houses the biofilter very well!
I was thinking something similar but filling one of the chambers with ceramic media like siporax. Not sure if that will mess with copper levels like rock or substrate though...?

427HISS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I found three used and cheap Oceanic BioCubes, one 14g for a sick tank and two 29g BioCube as a QT. They are a easy way to treat fish & corals. I also have a 55g if needed for larger fish, but we like adopting small guys & gals so the 29 gallons work great.

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Drain, bleach, rinse well, vinegar bath (optional), rinse again, and allow to dry completely for 24-48 hours. Preferably in the sun.
Okay now another magic question...how do you clean the seachem ammonia alerts?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Okay now another magic question...how do you clean the seachem ammonia alerts?
With a trash can :)

But seriously, you don’t. Just toss it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
TheCoralConnect.com
Omega Sea, LLC