The DOs and DON’Ts of Quarantine

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't be adding anything to top off water. CP or any other medicine.

Back at you again this time it’s a two part question

1. With copper don’t you have to keep it at the right treatment level at all time so won’t tapping off with only Ro dilute the strength of the copper.

2. If so can I pre mix a gallon of copper at the correct dose for a gallon and use that to top off when need ? (Knowing the amount of water that evaporated )

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back at you again this time it’s a two part question

1. With copper don’t you have to keep it at the right treatment level at all time so won’t tapping off with only Ro dilute the strength of the copper.

2. If so can I pre mix a gallon of copper at the correct dose for a gallon and use that to top off when need ? (Knowing the amount of water that evaporated )
Ok. You have 10 gallons of water, you add whatever dose. If 1 gallon evaporates, then the concentration will be 10% higher because the medication doesn't evaporate.

Adding in RO will bring it back to where you started without dropping below the therapudic level.

Sonam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: we have a cycled quarantine tank with some live rock on a bare bottom (in case we have to remove the rock to treat a disease).
We are planning to get a watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair. Do we need to put some kind of sand in the quarantine tank or would the rock suffice for their hiding place? Don't want to put an actual sandbed in there. We may need to remove rocks to treat sick fish in the future.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
? What is the best copper treatment for wrasses I was told to try copper power but at 1ml dose my wrasses did not like it at all

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: we have a cycled quarantine tank with some live rock on a bare bottom (in case we have to remove the rock to treat a disease).
We are planning to get a watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair. Do we need to put some kind of sand in the quarantine tank or would the rock suffice for their hiding place? Don't want to put an actual sandbed in there. We may need to remove rocks to treat sick fish in the future.
Folks have used a small tupperware type container for a small sand area. Easy to remove and keeps QT relatively clean.

Sonam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
? What is the best copper treatment for wrasses I was told to try copper power but at 1ml dose my wrasses did not like it at all
We recently treated a six line wrasse and fairy wrasse with curpramine after an outbreak of Marine velvet in our display. They weren't showing signs of disease but we removed them after several fish died and we realized they were all in danger.

The six line wrasse was stressed. In fact all 3 surviving fish were stressed. But they all survived 4 weeks of treatment - all while enduring the unstable water parameters of a hospital tank.

We did water changes several times a week.

I can say for sure they would have died had we not treated them. The yellow tang they were with was sick when we tore down our display to remove them all.

Good luck.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sonam thank you for the reply I tried it before my leopards did not like it. My next batch of wrasses I will just go with CP and see what happens.

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome as always - I was pleased to know that I do and don’t donpretty much everything you said...thanks to your advice over the past year.

The one thing I haven’t done but will is matching SG so I don’t have to drip acclimate. Setting up QT’s today.

I do have 2 questions:
1. I am using tropical Marin salt in my DT. It’s a little more expensive. Can I use a less expensive salt in my QT like instant ocean?

2. I’ve never QT’d corals or inverts. If I’m going to do this, I’m doing it all. So - do I need a coral-growing light for the coral QT? Or can I use the light that just comes with the 10 gallon tank?

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have put Seachem Cupramine in my fully cycled QT due to hiding, not eating and fast breathing of the yellow tail damsel after the blennie was added. The blennie never displayed any of these symptoms. Except not eating. I also don't usually place a different fish in QT after I have begun a quarantine process. I usually treat for disease even if they never display symptoms. But not always...so this makes me a believer. :) ammonia badge looks great so far. So what to try feeding the starry blenny? Algea sheets, mysis, NLS pellets, and nothing so far from the San Fransisco Bay frozen multi-pack has been accepted.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Awesome as always - I was pleased to know that I do and don’t donpretty much everything you said...thanks to your advice over the past year.

The one thing I haven’t done but will is matching SG so I don’t have to drip acclimate. Setting up QT’s today.

I do have 2 questions:
1. I am using tropical Marin salt in my DT. It’s a little more expensive. Can I use a less expensive salt in my QT like instant ocean?

2. I’ve never QT’d corals or inverts. If I’m going to do this, I’m doing it all. So - do I need a coral-growing light for the coral QT? Or can I use the light that just comes with the 10 gallon tank?

I usually use a cheaper salt in my quarantine tank.
I would find somesort of light that is fairly close to that over the display tank.

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually use a cheaper salt in my quarantine tank.
I would find somesort of light that is fairly close to that over the display tank.
I also do this. In addition, I tap off prior to my DI resin and use only RO water. It may only save $2 or $3 a year, but it more importantly saves time changing resin (I'm lazy :D).

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
? With the sponge filters after dosing prazi or other meds and running carbon what is the odds of meds still being in the sponge filter.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have put Seachem Cupramine in my fully cycled QT due to hiding, not eating and fast breathing of the yellow tail damsel after the blennie was added. The blennie never displayed any of these symptoms. Except not eating. I also don't usually place a different fish in QT after I have begun a quarantine process. I usually treat for disease even if they never display symptoms. But not always...so this makes me a believer. :) ammonia badge looks great so far. So what to try feeding the starry blenny? Algea sheets, mysis, NLS pellets, and nothing so far from the San Fransisco Bay frozen multi-pack has been accepted.
I am at two weeks with copper. and today I did 50% water change on the QT to reduce the copper again. I raised the QT the 1.019. YTD is eating fine. Blenny has not eaten (that I have seen). I am reducing copper to try to get him to eat. Garlic with the LNS pellets is next I guess.

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about just changing from copper to cp in the last 2 weeks

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about just changing from copper to cp in the last 2 weeks
Agree with @Greenstreet.1 here. Also, mixing the meds up is not advisable fish in one or the other can struggle enough, using both may be fatal to some but because they won’t be in therapeutic levels the entire time (the logistics of 100% removing copper don’t really lend to it, you’ll need 100% water change and to run carbon/cuprisorb for awhile) it will restart the 30 day clock.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a yellow wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus). I'm planning on prophylactically treat the wrasse. Can I use API GC?

I know Halichoeres chrysus are copper sensitive. So I guess copper is a no go. Any idea, or suggestion how to treat this wrasse safely in the QT? Appreciate all the help.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a yellow wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus). I'm planning on prophylactically treat the wrasse. Can I use API GC?

I know Halichoeres chrysus are copper sensitive. So I guess copper is a no go. Any idea, or suggestion how to treat this wrasse safely in the QT? Appreciate all the help.

Yes to using GC.

While wrasses can be sensitive to copper (and all meds really), you should be fine so long as you take 5-7 days to slowly ramp your Cu level up to therapeutic. I recommend using either Coppersafe or Copper Power.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to using GC.

While wrasses can be sensitive to copper (and all meds really), you should be fine so long as you take 5-7 days to slowly ramp your Cu level up to therapeutic. I recommend using either Coppersafe or Copper Power.
Thank you @Humblefish.

So with GC I plan on doing,
Day 1: 1st dose
Day 6: 2nd dose
Day 11: 25% WC.

That should do it right? If the fish looks ok should I skip Cu? I'm little scared of dosing Cu with wrasse.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back