OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good with them in terms of I've seen what I believe are all the worms out at least once. Some are more reclusive than others which is interesting but the ones that stay hidden most of the time are the smaller ones such as the Blue and another Orange so I guess it makes sense.
The LFS didn't get their Reef Nutrition shipment yet so I just picked up what they had left which was ROE and RotiFeast, along with AlgaeBarn 'OceanMagik' which should cover most of the coral's needs for a while since I think I'll just make a big order from RN directly. I've always wanted to try OceanMagik so this was a good opportunity, the worms seem to be having a great feeding response, and the Red Sea Whip also seems to love it which is awesome since that one took a big hit from the heat wave.
I did discover 2 Worms I didn't see before, which are the Darker Orange and Blue/Yellow/White combo Worm. Also 2 of the Hermits are actually realllly tiny, I'm talking like 1/4th the size of my pinky nail tiny which is insane, I didn't see them on the picture so these are definitely going to be interesting to watch grow. That leaves me with I think 4 Hermits total and I believe 10 worms? I need to find time to sit down and watch them all come out at once. But this has been a joy so far!
DSC00955.jpg
DSC00942.jpg
DSC00935.jpg
DSC00961.jpg
DSC00966.jpg
DSC00954.jpg
20230829_195516.jpg
I need to get a better picture of the whole porities colony when all the worms are out, but I think so far my favorite worm may be the Red/Gold/White one I have pictured since that color combo is really nice, but the bright Orange-ish Yellow one also might be my favorite just because that one is almost always out. That clump with the 3 worms also has the small blue worm that still needs to grow, so that will look really nice in a couple months when it's bigger.

I forgot to mention as well, this rock not only has the species I've mentioned so far, it's actually got a few really cool hitchhikers. First are 2 very small barnacles, no idea on the species name but they've also settled on the Porities and wave out their feeders when I feed the tank which is really neat. The second are quite a lot of fan worms of a different species. These aren't your typical micro feather dusters, they're actually really colorful. I don't believe they're baby Christmas Tree Worms but they have the color to make you think they are. A lot of them are Purple, Gold, and Red so I'll definitely have to get some pictures of them and ask around what species they could be. That makes a total of 5 species on this 4x4"-ish rock!

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something really interesting and seemingly really rare happened the other day; one of the Hermits was out and wandering!
My guess was to find a new burrow since the one it was in before didn't really have access to much flow for food.
They don't do this very often, Marc (Melevesreef) said he's never seen it either so that's gotta mean it's pretty rare haha. I never noticed how stripey their body was, nor the big hooks they have on their abdomen which is what I'm guessing helps them stay secured in their burrows. This one did find a new burrow, thankfully he wasn't swept away by the flow which is what I was really anxious about so I turned off all the pumps. Hopefully he likes his new spot better!
DSC00968.jpg
DSC00985.jpg
DSC00993.jpg

Cammy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something really interesting and seemingly really rare happened the other day; one of the Hermits was out and wandering!
My guess was to find a new burrow since the one it was in before didn't really have access to much flow for food.
They don't do this very often, Marc (Melevesreef) said he's never seen it either so that's gotta mean it's pretty rare haha. I never noticed how stripey their body was, nor the big hooks they have on their abdomen which is what I'm guessing helps them stay secured in their burrows. This one did find a new burrow, thankfully he wasn't swept away by the flow which is what I was really anxious about so I turned off all the pumps. Hopefully he likes his new spot better!
DSC00968.jpg
DSC00985.jpg
DSC00993.jpg
In all my years reefing I think these might be one of the most interesting creatures I’ve ever seen:star-struck: Love the tank by the way, one of the inspirations for my new one that I’ll be setting up

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all my years reefing I think these might be one of the most interesting creatures I’ve ever seen:star-struck: Love the tank by the way, one of the inspirations for my new one that I’ll be setting up
Thank you so much! Glad to see I'm inspiring others within the hobby.

I'm actually in Portland right now so maybe I'll be going back home with something tomorrow depending on if I'm able to make it to Cuttlefish & Corals. Though I think I'd rather add fish after I rescape the tank since not having to worry about them would be much better, we'll see

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well unfortunately I come with some bad news, it looks like the first Coral loss might be happening. And it's the one I was really hopeful that I wouldn't lose :loudly-crying-face:
Something happened to both colonies of the Acanthogorgia isoxya, and they seem to have bleached and are withering away. I can't tell what it is since it's definitely not starvation otherwise it would happen slowly and the flesh wouldn't be white. The only thing I can think of is stress from the Heatwave that happened and maybe some sort of bacterial infection happened? I'll be dipping them just in case but with the amount of flesh that's gone, I'm not sure if it can be saved. The smaller colony is almost 90% skeleton.
The weird thing is that it's only the A. Isxoya that's being affected so I'm pretty stumped. Hoping I can bring it

DSC01227.jpg

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to call it but I think it's safe to say that the A. Isoxya is officially gone, the dip didn't seem to help very much, i think the temp swings and peaks were too much for it. Most of the tissue that still had color in the photo is now white which means it'll wither away. Hopefully I can source another since it was doing really well before this heatwave that came out of no where.
The good thing is that the other corals seem to be starting to heal from the heatwave stress. I was very close to losing the big colony of Menella but that looks like it has some tissue regrowth which is good, I've been going heavy on the live phyto for the Christmas Tree Worms and that seems to be bringing back a good amount of tissue on a lot of corals. I'll have to figure out new spots on where to put everything for the rescape but I think everything should work out.
After the rescape, I have plans of adding a CUC + some new corals so hopefully the tank is coming back to a stable place

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to call it but I think it's safe to say that the A. Isoxya is officially gone, the dip didn't seem to help very much, i think the temp swings and peaks were too much for it. Most of the tissue that still had color in the photo is now white which means it'll wither away. Hopefully I can source another since it was doing really well before this heatwave that came out of no where.
The good thing is that the other corals seem to be starting to heal from the heatwave stress. I was very close to losing the big colony of Menella but that looks like it has some tissue regrowth which is good, I've been going heavy on the live phyto for the Christmas Tree Worms and that seems to be bringing back a good amount of tissue on a lot of corals. I'll have to figure out new spots on where to put everything for the rescape but I think everything should work out.
After the rescape, I have plans of adding a CUC + some new corals so hopefully the tank is coming back to a stable place
Sorry about your loss! Can't wait to see the new coral!

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placed another order with Seahorse Savvy for some CUC and new species that haven't been added to the tank yet :) One thing I did get is a large Swiftia since those are always stunning and since this smaller one has done really well since the beginning, I think the large one will be a centerpiece. I did ask for it to be held until Wednesday so it can arrive Thursday which should hopefully give me enough time to add the rescape and get everything tidy since the rocks and mortar come on Monday.
I've been scouring the web for lots of ideas on what fish I should add back. Ideally I'm looking at 4 fish (maybe at the end I can push it to 5 since this tank only has a year left in it). I'm very keen on trying another trio of the Randall's Anthias since those would be awesome again to have in the open, though I need to start with an established group since the last time the group I got were fresh imports and that didn't go so well. As for the fourth fish, I'm very indecisive. Since the Randall's will add a lot of Pink. Purple, and Yellow, a Yellow Assessor wouldn't be the best fish to add color wise though I do really love them. My top picks for the 4th fish have to be; Possum Wrasse (I really miss the old one), Yellow Assessor (love their behavior) or A CB Blue Striped Pipefish (in the wild they're actually found in caves with NPS so it would fit + add some nice blue).
Something that did catch my eye was this Fine-Scale Dottyback (lubbockichthys multisquamatus) on NY Aquatic (they have it listed as the Rose Island Basslet but L. multisquamatus often get labeled by the exporters as Rose Island Basslet so it's a case of Mis-ID. You can tell by the yellow tail). since those are a really rare, deepwater Dottyback that would be really neat to have though it would add even more pink and yellow + the dilemma of spending $300 on a fish haha. Perhaps if I'm crazy enough
Also big thank you to @reefnutrition for the extra TiggerPods they threw in! Since there's no fish atm, the Apex and Tigger Pods should colonize. It was really fun watching the Tube Anemone catch them as they swam into it's tentacles. I'll have to record it sometime, big things coming!

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a really busy and fun week. I got the rescape in and got the order from Seahorse Savvy today. My LFS also got in some really nice Gorgonians from ACI and reached out to me about them and I picked one up ASAP. Will get photos of everything later but the tank is looking really awesome.
Here's a quick shot i got before I left, a Pederson Cleaner Shrimp on a new Swiftia piece
DSC01285.jpg

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not everything has opened up yet though I'd rather go ahead and list what I got recently. So from my LFS, they got in 2 awesome species of Gorgonian and Seafan from ACI Aquaculture. The first was a Red Sea Fan that doesn't have an ID. I asked some of my other marine bio friends and they couldn't tell either. I know Levi Peterson has one since he reached out to me so I'm interested to see what it's needs are since I love the shape of it. It has small white polyps so I'm guessing a lot of Phyto and Oysterfeast. They got 2 of them in so if they're still there in a few weeks, I'll definitely have to pick one up. The other species though, I had to pick up ASAP as soon as they reached out to me about it; a Purple Menella Gorgonian!
Besides the one we have in our NPS display at the Aquarium, I've never seen one available in the hobby besides one that was on DD a few years ago. This colony is absolutely giant and they gave me a really good deal on it. This coral is a beautiful dark purple with dark purple-ish blue polyps. That also makes it a little difficult to photograph since the contrast isn't the best but it's a beautiful coral I'm so excited to have in the tank now. It hasn't opened up fully since I just got it the other day so it'll take a while for it to fully open but it's shown a good amount of extension so far.
Seahorse Savvy Order; Pederson Cleaner Shrimp, Cerith and Astrea Snails, Swiftia exserta, Yellow Finger Gorgonian, and Red Purple Sea Fan (leptogorgia species?)
This piece of Swiftia I received is a GIANT. I wasn't expecting it to be so huge so I had a hard time finding a spot for it. I can definitely frag bits of it if I find it kind of obstructing. But the cool thing about this one is that the polyps are a Red-Purple color instead of Orange like on my other piece. Personally I love the Red-Purple due to the contrast so that'll look insane when it's fully open. I was always set on adding a Yellow Finger Gorg in here so I'm pretty happy with that pickup as well. This Red Purple Seafan I believe is a species of Leptogorgia based on the shape but I'm not very good at Octo-Coral ID so I'll have to ask some friends.
Then the snails are here to clean up some algae and stir the sand bed. The Pederson Cleaner is one of the few shrimp I trust to not aggressively steal food from the Suns and Dendros so that's why I went with this guy instead of a Skunk Cleaner or Fire Shrimp. I also just love the clear nano size shrimps. Overall the tank is looking really nice.
I still haven't gotten a chance to glue down everything so once I do that, and give everything a few days to settle in, I'll def have to get a new FTS.

I think the next things I'd like to add are a Coco Worm and some fish. I'm really missing having fish in here and now that there are some massive caves and coral colonies, I think it's making the perfect environment for some deepwater species. There's one from Biota in particular I think might be the first addition. Enjoy the pics!
DSC01263.jpg
DSC01267.jpg
DSC01290.jpg
DSC01357.jpg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not everything has opened up yet though I'd rather go ahead and list what I got recently. So from my LFS, they got in 2 awesome species of Gorgonian and Seafan from ACI Aquaculture. The first was a Red Sea Fan that doesn't have an ID. I asked some of my other marine bio friends and they couldn't tell either. I know Levi Peterson has one since he reached out to me so I'm interested to see what it's needs are since I love the shape of it. It has small white polyps so I'm guessing a lot of Phyto and Oysterfeast. They got 2 of them in so if they're still there in a few weeks, I'll definitely have to pick one up. The other species though, I had to pick up ASAP as soon as they reached out to me about it; a Purple Menella Gorgonian!
Besides the one we have in our NPS display at the Aquarium, I've never seen one available in the hobby besides one that was on DD a few years ago. This colony is absolutely giant and they gave me a really good deal on it. This coral is a beautiful dark purple with dark purple-ish blue polyps. That also makes it a little difficult to photograph since the contrast isn't the best but it's a beautiful coral I'm so excited to have in the tank now. It hasn't opened up fully since I just got it the other day so it'll take a while for it to fully open but it's shown a good amount of extension so far.
Seahorse Savvy Order; Pederson Cleaner Shrimp, Cerith and Astrea Snails, Swiftia exserta, Yellow Finger Gorgonian, and Red Purple Sea Fan (leptogorgia species?)
This piece of Swiftia I received is a GIANT. I wasn't expecting it to be so huge so I had a hard time finding a spot for it. I can definitely frag bits of it if I find it kind of obstructing. But the cool thing about this one is that the polyps are a Red-Purple color instead of Orange like on my other piece. Personally I love the Red-Purple due to the contrast so that'll look insane when it's fully open. I was always set on adding a Yellow Finger Gorg in here so I'm pretty happy with that pickup as well. This Red Purple Seafan I believe is a species of Leptogorgia based on the shape but I'm not very good at Octo-Coral ID so I'll have to ask some friends.
Then the snails are here to clean up some algae and stir the sand bed. The Pederson Cleaner is one of the few shrimp I trust to not aggressively steal food from the Suns and Dendros so that's why I went with this guy instead of a Skunk Cleaner or Fire Shrimp. I also just love the clear nano size shrimps. Overall the tank is looking really nice.
I still haven't gotten a chance to glue down everything so once I do that, and give everything a few days to settle in, I'll def have to get a new FTS.

I think the next things I'd like to add are a Coco Worm and some fish. I'm really missing having fish in here and now that there are some massive caves and coral colonies, I think it's making the perfect environment for some deepwater species. There's one from Biota in particular I think might be the first addition. Enjoy the pics!
DSC01263.jpg
DSC01267.jpg
DSC01290.jpg
DSC01357.jpg
Very interesting. Hope they all do well and that last coral is truly stunning!

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. Hope they all do well and that last coral is truly stunning!
Thank you! Everything is doing well so far. Yeah the Yellow Finger is such a cool Coral for how common it is. I was planning on adding a Eed Finger in here too but I was concerned about how much space it would take up so I just stuck to the Yellow as I like it a lot more.
I did get some better shots of the Swiftia now that it's out. The Red polyps on this one are truly stunning.
DSC01409.jpg
DSC01414.jpg

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it's another mixed bag of news. For the bad, most of the gorgonians I had before the heatwave have perished. This time it was the Red & Gold Menella, the Orange Polyp Swiftia, and the Blueberry Gorg. What I've learned is that especially after a sudden spike like that, it's really hard to bring them back since they seem alright at first then they start losing tissue and not opening and then kind of slowly decay. Sucks to watch happen but I think especially since these are kept at cooler temps, a spike that suddenly shifts the temp from 74 to 81 in less than a day does some really bad damage. The only corals that I have left from before the heatwave are; Red Sea Whip, Chili Coral, Fathead Dendro, & Sun Coral. These ones are still doing okay. I definitely would like to grab another Fathead Dendro colony from my LFS and find a few more Sun Corals. Everything I've aquired after the heatwave (besides some of the Astrea snails) are still doing well. Though I didn't see the Pederson Cleaner Shrimp, I hope it molted and is hiding somewhere for the time being. I did lower the flow since it was only staying on the sand which wasn't the most optimal place for it so hopefully it found a new spot in the rocks and it'll take time for it to come out again.
The good news is that everything is else is doing well as I mentioned earlier, but I also have a few more things on the way. These are probably the last additions for a while to see how the tank does, but it's a mix of CUC and some decorative additions. One is another Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse I'm very excited to introduce again.

Here's a coral I haven't actually photographed till now, the 'Red Sea Fan'! I believe it's a species of Leptogorgia from the growth pattern and polyps but I can't tell for sure so I'll ask some of my friends. This one is more of a light pink-ish red which I really like.
DSC01704.jpg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this build thread, it's very interesting! Thanks for bringing us along- I will be setting up a NPS in a Red Sea Max Nano soon and I could use all the information I can find! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Yours look really, really good!

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this build thread, it's very interesting! Thanks for bringing us along- I will be setting up a NPS in a Red Sea Max Nano soon and I could use all the information I can find! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Yours look really, really good!
Thank you so much! I'm really glad others are taking inspiration. Hopefully I can bring it back to where it was before.

Interestingly enough, I was thinking about ditching fish for this build since Quality Marine has been getting in some really awesome Japanese Neon Green Anemones (Halcurias carlgreni) that I really love, though I'm a bit concerned it would sting the fish. The other fish I plan on adding which was a Trio of Randall's Anthias might be okay since they're open water swimmers but the Possum Wrasse might accidentally swim into it if I did put one in here. Maybe I'll ask some people that have them what they think

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are looking positive again! My Fathead Dendro and Chili Coral have shown the first signs of really nice extension ever since the heatwave hit. I still need to glue down the Chili to it's new spot but seeing it open again is amazing. I also figured out why the Fathead hasn't been growing new polyps even though it's been pretty happy. It turns out the skeleton is encrusted with some weird build up that i'm not sure how to get rid of so it looks like this piece will just be 2 polyps of a happy fathead dendro. I'm going to pickup another one from my LFS since the skeleton on those are clean and growing new heads.
I also introduced some new things from Seahorse Savvy today: 6 Nassarius Snails, a small Ruby Red Serpent Star, a Coco Worm, and a Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse! The Nassarius snails are very small which is good since they'll be able to move around the sand pretty easily, and the Ruby Red Serpent Star is really awesome. I've been wanting to add a serpent star but held off since I wasn't feeding much Mysis or Pellet before but since I'm planning on adding some more Sun Corals soon, one will for sure come in handy when it comes to eating the scraps that make it past the Nassarius.
The Coco Worm and Possum Wrasse are still getting used to the tank, though thankfully the Possum Wrasse found a spot right underneath the Christmas Tree Rock in front of the glass so I can monitor him while he hides for the time being.
DSC02090.jpg

So happy things are looking good again. The Purple Menella has some insane polyp extension right now, it looks like the new schedule is benefiting it the most. I think the next additons I'd like to make are another Sun Coral Colony, a few more gorgonians, and then eventually add the Trio of Randall's Anthias.

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Possum Wrasse is getting more bold each day, the caves and overhangs seem to be helping it stay out and about which is awesome to see. I haven't gotten a picture of the Serpent Star yet though I'll try tonight.
DSC02146.jpg
DSC02147.jpg

Here is also a picture of the Chili Coral! Now it's got open polyps almost all day again. Glad to see it's like how it used to be and eating again
DSC02120.jpg

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is still going really well. Just not much to update, I'll have to get an update FTS soon. I've been more focused on freshwater again recently but this still gets it's daily love. At this point, I might order the group of Randall's soon since I'd like to have them at least before it gets too cold to ship and it starts snowing (winter is one of the best times since that's when the really neat stuff starts coming in due to the temperature drop hehe) so I'll be looking forward to when that happens.
Honestly the biggest issue recently was a big diatom bloom that happened because I accidentally left the lights on too long a few too many times. But I've left it off for about a week and almost all of it is gone :)

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is still going really well. Just not much to update, I'll have to get an update FTS soon. I've been more focused on freshwater again recently but this still gets it's daily love. At this point, I might order the group of Randall's soon since I'd like to have them at least before it gets too cold to ship and it starts snowing (winter is one of the best times since that's when the really neat stuff starts coming in due to the temperature drop hehe) so I'll be looking forward to when that happens.
Honestly the biggest issue recently was a big diatom bloom that happened because I accidentally left the lights on too long a few too many times. But I've left it off for about a week and almost all of it is gone :)
Can't wait to see the FTS!

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see the FTS!
Admittedly I still need to glue some stuff down haha
I'm trying not to buy anything else since I'm a little more focused on FW atm but I did find a nice Balanophyllia head for sale (related to the dendro) that's kind of tempting me right now. I did ask the lfs if they can look for another A. Isoxya for me so hopefully I can get that one back in the tank soon

Ocean of discounts: Did you buy any coral in the past week?

• Yes, I bought corals this past week.

Votes: 76 40.0%
  • No, I looked at the sales, but didn’t buy anything.

Votes: 53 27.9%
  • No, I avoided the marketing and the “deals”.

Votes: 52 27.4%
  • Other

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back