The Dreaded Aiptasia dilema with Q.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rock about the size of your fist which has 50 or so Rastas and about the same in Stargazers, 7 months ago I noticed a single aiptasia in the Stargazers and I treated with Aiptasia X and a few months went by and all seemed well and then I found a few babies in the Stargazers so I treated them again, and again all seemed well and yet they returned.

Without tossing the rock and zoas I wonder If a hydrogen peroxide dip would kill the Aiptasia.

Has anyone ever given it a try?

I

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah !!! I think I’ve tried everything thing suggested , even peroxide . I’ve been aptasia free for years since I finally found three true peppermint shrimps that actually eat them . After bergia nudibraches , aptasia x . Super glue , sealing them with coral putty, copperband butterfly fish, etc . I tried what I thought and what was sold to me as peppermint shrimp which were not and swore never again and that they were a waste until one day at a lfs store in Lakeland Florida had them in a tank for sale and he threw in some aptasia and I witnessed about 20 shrimp come out and eat the aptasia in minutes . I bought 3 and and never looked back . Nor have I seen any since in my tanks .

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah just get a peppermint shrimp. If it doesnt eat the aptasia, trade it for another until your aptasia is gone. It's kinda the same thing with bubble algae some emeralds eat it right away while others dont.

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah !!! I think I’ve tried everything thing suggested , even peroxide . I’ve been aptasia free for years since I finally found three true peppermint shrimps that actually eat them . After bergia nudibraches , aptasia x . Super glue , sealing them with coral putty, copperband butterfly fish, etc . I tried what I thought and what was sold to me as peppermint shrimp which were not and swore never again and that they were a waste until one day at a lfs store in Lakeland Florida had them in a tank for sale and he threw in some aptasia and I witnessed about 20 shrimp come out and eat the aptasia in minutes . I bought 3 and and never looked back . Nor have I seen any since in my tanks .
Yeah and who sells REAL peppermint shrimp. I'd get a few for sure lol

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yeah and who sells REAL peppermint shrimp. I'd get a few for sure lol
You can get them from reefbeauties.com. Not always in stock but they update every Saturday and actually show you what is in stock instead of clicking on 700 items to find out they are unavailable.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if he ships but I got mine from coral bargain warehouse in Lakeland Florida . I know there are some companies on here that sell them but can’t remember . One I believe even guarantees them to eat as well as their emerald crabs that eat bubble algae . If you look up the peppermint shrimp on line you’ll see all kinds . The solid red ones are not . Look for the ones with the fine red stripes going from head to tail . If I find a place I’ll send it to you

Razorback reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rock about the size of your fist which has 50 or so Rastas and about the same in Stargazers, 7 months ago I noticed a single aiptasia in the Stargazers and I treated with Aiptasia X and a few months went by and all seemed well and then I found a few babies in the Stargazers so I treated them again, and again all seemed well and yet they returned.

Without tossing the rock and zoas I wonder If a hydrogen peroxide dip would kill the Aiptasia.

Has anyone ever given it a try?

I
First of all, the elimination of pests is unreasonable since the treatment may be equally harmful to beneficial fauna. Keeping them under control is the preferred method and you seem to be doing that quite well enough, a few here and there every few months isn't a epidemic.

And there are natural predators. For example, I bought a peppermint shrimp and my aptaisa disappeared very quickly.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, going to put in an order, is there any issue with them and blood shrimp or emerald crabs, I have both
I do as well and have never experienced a loss . The peppermint shrimp pretty much come out at night to feed in my tank and during the day hide from my cleaner shrimp and emeralds . You would have to be concerned with other predators in your tank that might like them for a snack . Also never have has any issues with them and coral either .

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back