The dreaded Blue Spot Jawfish Disease

Elysium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the ideal way I wanted to make my first thread.

So, I started a 44 gallon tank with a blue spot in mind: open areas, rockwork on acrylic rods, 6" mixed sand bed (60% oolitic, 20% reef sand, 20% crushed coral) and was going to only transfer the more peaceful fish from the 35 gallon hex tank that will become a display fuge.

One of the local LFS (albeit one of the least clean) got one in and was resonably priced. I watched the fish for 3 weeks to make sure it was healthy and finally bought it. He (or she) had since been in the quarantine tank with sand and rock and had become reasonably personable by week three. Fast forward to thursday afternoon and I came home from work to him sitting on the sand all curled up. He ate some food and then decided to showcase himself on the rocks, really weird. That's when I noticed the dreaded white splotches on the underside of the midsection.

IMG_0402.jpg

Foolish as I was I figured, like so many, that the scales were just abraded from burrowing and thought nothing of it after he ate and started to act normal.

Fast forward to Saturday and I don't see him all day. I just see the tip of the tail out of his burrow, moving just enough now and again to show signs of life. Sunday morning, I wake up and sit down next to the 44 gallon to make check on the water clarity (sand still stirred up). I turn my head towards the QT and there he was in the corner looking at me.
IMG_0406.jpg

As you can see the splotches have spread, and the fish is acting all sorts of screwy. Resigned to the fact that I likely have a fish with the dreaded BSJ and I start to frantically work on a hospital setup. 3 hours and 5 stores later I now have:

- New 10 gallon tank and filter (needed both with the others on the QT, and both were cheap)
- PVC for hideouts
- Bottles of Cupramine, Methylene Blue, and Mardels Quick Cure (formalin)

- On order I have Seachem's, Paraguard, kanoplex, and neo-plex for 2nd day air

So the hospital tank is now setup and circulating. And the freshwater dip with methylene blue was ready for the initial treatment.
IMG_0407.jpg
IMG_0409.jpg

Just in time too as the fish was limply laying under a ledge in the QT.

IMG_0408.jpg

The fish was easy to catch by simply laying a transport bag in the tank and scooping him in with my hand. Not much of a struggle and not a good sign.

After acclimation to the hospital tank water. Into the freshwater/blue dip we go. Only lasted about 6 minutes before turning upside down and taking almost no breaths. I immediately stopped the dip, did a quick rinse in extra tank water and got it into the hospital tank. I was sure I had killed him as he just layed there on his side, no color and just limp as can be. But after about 30 seconds of panic he would take a big breath, and within 5 minutes he was huddled behind the airstone.

I gave him about 3 hours to settle in and dosed the tank with cupramine. I'll do a formalin dip in about 48-72 hours for a total of 4 in the next 2 weeks. Once the Seachem meds are in I'll start dosing those as well.

I'll post updates as they come.

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with this, I'm following along. My BSJ died from the same causes. Because of this disease I'm going to be spending the extra $ at LiveAquaria just for their guarantee and extensive quarantine procedures. Good luck again, and this will be a great thread!

Anyone with success may chime in?

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this:( good luck. I had a bacteria of some sort with similar symptoms that wiped out my whole tank.

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without rubbing salt in the wounds, letting him sit and brew for 3 weeks at the LFS probably didn't help the cause. LFS usually don't have good feeding schedules and have less-than-stellar water quality, which allow diseases and maladies to manifest. :(

Is there any reason behind your choice to treat with Cupramine? All my research has pointed towards the BSJ disease being a bacteria/viral/fungal type infection. Cupramine is a great tool for external parasites. I would treat with something like Bi-Furan or Furan-2.

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. They are amazing fish, but I have gone through 3 of them over the years and they all eventually succumbed to this disease within a month or two. They really prefer a cooler tank and I found that if not supplied with that they eventually die. I have also seen that QT does not usually make a difference. I will not purchase this fish any longer and think its one of those fish best left in the oceans.

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drop your tank temperature to 70 and you stand a chance to keep them alive. otherwise they will likely die.

OP
OP
Elysium

Elysium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without rubbing salt in the wounds, letting him sit and brew for 3 weeks at the LFS probably didn't help the cause. LFS usually don't have good feeding schedules and have less-than-stellar water quality, which allow diseases and maladies to manifest. :(

Is there any reason behind your choice to treat with Cupramine? All my research has pointed towards the BSJ disease being a bacteria/viral/fungal type infection. Cupramine is a great tool for external parasites. I would treat with something like Bi-Furan or Furan-2.

The only reasons I held off buying the fish at first was due to the fact that I wasn't setup yet to give the fish a good environment at my house yet and this guy's stock tends to not to survive the move into and out of his tanks on short time frame. Could have been stress or sickness, but I tend to wait now with his livestock to see if it shows signs of life for a good period.

I've read that some people have had good luck with using Cupramine on the BSJ. I'll try some Furan-2 in the interim until the Kanaplex, Neoplex, and Paraguard show up on Wednesday, all which treat bacterial/fungal infections.

OP
OP
Elysium

Elysium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drop your tank temperature to 70 and you stand a chance to keep them alive. otherwise they will likely die.

I know they're a subtropical fish and thrive under cooler conditions. I try and keep my display tank at 72-74 to accomodate the jawfish. If it doesn't work I can always be foolish and build him his own tank.

OP
OP
Elysium

Elysium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ducked out of work for an early lunch and checked in on the fish. Color is better and breathing is slightly rapid, but more normal than yesterday. He still is using the airstone rather than the PVC for shelter.

I've started with Furan-2 (gram neg.) and Erythromycin (gram point of sale.) as anti-bacterial medications.

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the cooler temp comments, I've done some research and Kevin Cohen of Live Aquaria says that it's actually the collection methods that bring about the demise of these beauties. It was on a reefcentral forum, he was saying how they can live in more temperate climates. LiveAquaria has them as 72-78 F. It's because of this that I've decided to skip the Blue Spots in the LFS and get one with a guarantee.

OP
OP
Elysium

Elysium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the cooler temp comments, I've done some research and Kevin Cohen of Live Aquaria says that it's actually the collection methods that bring about the demise of these beauties. It was on a reefcentral forum, he was saying how they can live in more temperate climates. LiveAquaria has them as 72-78 F. It's because of this that I've decided to skip the Blue Spots in the LFS and get one with a guarantee.

Oh, absolutely. After watching a couple show up in DD and based on the quality of their livestock, that will be the only place I would get another one from if the unfortunate happens.

So after 24 hours of treatment the fish is still a little stressed and refusing to leave the area of the airstone.
- Breathing has improved, still too rapid to be considered normal
- Color has improved slightly
- Eye clarity has returned, were starting to get a little cloudy prior to treatment (also a common symptom)
- A little more animated in the tank, still not exhibiting normal jawfish behavior
- Now that the fish has calmed down a bit and is in the open I can see the typical rot/damage to fins and tail sections that is also common with this infection

So the plan of attack for now is to keep on with the standard Cupramine for 2 weeks and completing the dosing regimens for Erythromycin and Furan-2. If symptoms have improved I'll move on to removing the Cupramine and starting a Paraguard with Kanaplex+NeoPlex dosing regimen.

OP
OP
Elysium

Elysium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to say but the likely inevitable has occurred. After a 12 day stay in the hospital tank the BSJ has died.

The treatment definitely worked on the infection, but I'm starting to think this may have been more of a toxicity issue with the infection brought on by stress. I just couldn't get the poor guy to eat anything (tried about 7 different foods) for the entire hospital period and 3 days before going into the tank. The fish simply wasted away. :(

I'll try again as I would rather have a BSJ than a pearly in the new 44+20 combo build. However, the only place I will buy it from is from LiveAquaria for their chain of custody and quarantine procedures.

I suppose the plus side is now I only have three tanks to worry about (existing 35 gallon hex, QT with frags, and the cycling 44 gallon). :squigglemouth:

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elysium,

Sorry to hear you loss. I was really hoping it would pull through and it definitely showed that you gave the little guy your all!

Are you going for Diver's Den Jawfish or just from their regular site?

OP
OP
Elysium

Elysium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elysium,

Sorry to hear you loss. I was really hoping it would pull through and it definitely showed that you gave the little guy your all!

Are you going for Diver's Den Jawfish or just from their regular site?

I'll probably go through DD as they typically run cheaper than the average price on their regular site. Plus I prefer Diver's Den anyways.

Although the Keys Pearly and the Pink Streaked Wrasse are an awfully tempting combo today. :)

Triggerman77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear of this :( But I noticed your gravel is a bit course for a BSJ fish! Jaw fish really need fine grain sand bed (Suger size sand) To thrive and maintain their health. Goodluck with your next choice
BTW The Pink Streak wrasse is a awesome choice too :)

Last edited:

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear of this :( But I noticed your gravel is a bit course for a BSJ fish! Jaw fish really need fine grain sand bed (Suger size sand) To thrive and maintain their health. Goodluck with your next choice
Would Tropic Eden Reef Flakes be too course? It's not chunky, but not sugar either.

OP
OP
Elysium

Elysium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those were shots with the fish in the quarantine tank which had a substrate of the Caribsea "Special Reef Grade" Sand with rubble. The fish had no problems burrowing in the QT.

The display tank that is currently cycling is mostly sugar sand with the reef sand and crushed coral mixed in with a thin covering of reef sand/coral to keep down the dust clouds.

The Pink Streak is on my short-list to replace the Six-line that will not be making the transfer from the 35 gallon to the 44 gallon. :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 14.3%
Back