The dreaded Dino's. I have been fighting this for months now

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of this did you dose and what size of tank and sump?
Did you ever get a microscope?

If not its the only way to fix the issue. You've been dealing with this for months now so i can only assume your tank looks terrible. IMO if you kinda see signs of dinos you need to act quickly and start treating.

@BetterJake is giving you great solutions especially the FB page. How i solved mine in 45 days.

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of this did you dose and what size of tank and sump?
Did you read the guide I posted in this thread? Everyone here is willing to help, but you have to want to help yourself..

From the guide I posted... 36 - 41% solution is extremely concentrated, you'll want to mix with RODI water and pour into a high flow area of the tank

Recommend 36 ‐ 41% liquid sodium silicate (Waterglass)
o For the above concentration, we recommend dosing 0.1mL per 15 gallons (55 liters)
of tank volume for 1ppm of silicate.
o Aim for 2‐3ppm.
o For example, on a tank that’s 60 gallons:
o 60 gallons / 15 gallons = 4
o 4 x 0.1mL = 0.4mL ‐ This gives you the dosage to get to 1ppm silicate o 0.4mL x 2= 0.8mL – this amount should give you 2ppm silicate

OP
OP
leighton.bingham

leighton.bingham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you read the guide I posted in this thread? Everyone here is willing to help, but you have to want to help yourself..

From the guide I posted... 36 - 41% solution is extremely concentrated, you'll want to mix with RODI water and pour into a high flow area of the tank

Recommend 36 ‐ 41% liquid sodium silicate (Waterglass)
o For the above concentration, we recommend dosing 0.1mL per 15 gallons (55 liters)
of tank volume for 1ppm of silicate.
o Aim for 2‐3ppm.
o For example, on a tank that’s 60 gallons:
o 60 gallons / 15 gallons = 4
o 4 x 0.1mL = 0.4mL ‐ This gives you the dosage to get to 1ppm silicate o 0.4mL x 2= 0.8mL – this amount should give you 2ppm silicate
I did finally read it. Thank you for the guide. It was very helpful. Looks like im buying a UV

Makomek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got dino two months ago, have the one that stay in the sand and another strain that attach on the rock after midday I don’t have a microscope so don’t know exact strain. So I browsed on youtube and here for help and almost everyone recommended dosing N&P to a certain range, well that cause more headache. My are not happy sps stn from bringing those number up too fast and dino are progressing even faster than ever so I stop dosing.
I end buying the UV and siphon the sand out clean it and put it back to the tank every week with a WC. I also use a artist paint brush to clean the rock every othe day with a 5 micron sock in my sump to catch all the dino, did that for about a month with nothing else and now my tank is free of dino for over a month now. Dont know if the UV help but I really like how my tank water is crystal clear with hardly and algae on the glass. Dosing N&P also sending your water parameters out of wack causing more issue and headach, testing my water constantly during that time.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back