The dreaded ich and I cant catch my fish. Tankmatez to the rescue!

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Sunday fellow reefers!

I knew this dreaded day would come and I would have a fish parasite or fish disease. 2 days ago I spotted the little white specks you see in the picture below. I went out that night after talking to some well respected people in the hobby and bought a 20 gallon high, Marineland filter, heater, bacteria, coppersafe and general cure. I will treat with coppersafe for 30 days then treat with general cure and let the tank go fallow for 76 days. I now have it all set up and ready to move my fish over. Thats where I realized I had another problem. I damaged my most loved hammer coral with the nets trying to catch the fish. A few tentacles popped and broke, I sure hope the regenerate and recover. I stopped before I caused more damage. I sat back and really thought hard about all this but I'm way too invested to give up now. I found tankmatez and it looked to be the perfect solution. I reached out to Nick with tankmatez mind you its Sunday afternoon and he never once hesitated to help me out. I now have the Orb MD on its way to help catch these fish without damaging everything further. The one fish that was showing signs is now not showing signs and all fish are eating well. I have 3 clowns, 2 royal grammas, 1 yellow watchman, 1 melanurus wrasse that i need to catch and put through treatment. I have the hannah checker coming in Tuesday to help keep the coopersafe level at 2.0. Humblefish has helped and other Facebook group reefers, alot of great people in this hobby and I couldn't do it without all of you! I'm at the mercy of catching the fish and moving them over to treatment and im praying the Orb MD from tankmatez will be the saving grace. The MD actually has a 10x viewing window that will allow me to inspect all the fish for any parasite or disease that way I know what I'm dealing with and which fish to observe the closest. I know time is of the essence and im racing against time. Im hoping I have all in treatment by Wednesday night. Please anyone with any tips or tricks they can pass along please do and I will keep everyone posted on the progress of qt and treatment with coppersafe and general cure. This will be the first time im tackling this and what I know I literally learned in a matter of a couple of days... this will hopefully give others in the hobby the confidence to tackle this. I was one that said I didn't have the means or the room for a qt tank and look at me now, I have a qt tank. There is always a way and I'm definitely going to qt here on out. I will report back and let everyone know how the new Orb MD works out for me soon as I get it and again special thanks to tankmatez, humblefish and the others that helped me along this journey. I have a long road ahead of me but I feel that I and anyone else for that matter can get through it by coming together and spreading knowledge and helping one another. I hope everyone enjoys the rest of their Sunday afternoon.

20210221_155034.jpg

20210220_222419.jpg

IMG_4329(1).jpg

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a last resort, what I have done in the past is drained the tank, caught the fish, and pumped the water back in. This can be done fairly fast with a decent size pump and enough brute trash cans. Catching the fish while they’re sleeping is a good thing to try also. Find out where that melanurus is burrowing also. You can sometimes just scoop the fish out of the sand. Carefully!!! The feed and net method works sometimes also. At least with certain fish. Good luck!!!!! You’ll be thankful for the Hanna copper checker!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefOnTheBayou

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a last resort, what I have done in the past is drained the tank, caught the fish, and pumped the water back in. This can be done fairly fast with a decent size pump and enough brute trash cans. Catching the fish while they’re sleeping is a good thing to try also. Find out where that melanurus is burrowing also. You can sometimes just scoop me out of the sand. Carefully!!! The feed and net method works sometimes also. At least with certain fish. Good luck!!!!! You’ll be thankful for the Hanna copper checker!!!!
I thought about draining the tank but the pump i have is sort of small and would take some time to refill. I have alot of coral that would be out the water if i would drain it and i have alot of live rock. Im was afraid that even draining it I would have to move rocks around that are glued to get to the fish.The fish look fine atm but I'm sure its only a matter of time when the ich shows its face again. Im surprised that none of my other fish never showed any signs just the black clown that I attached in my post.

At this moment im putting my faith in the tankmatez Orb MD bubble trap. Soon as it gets here I will attempt to catch them so I can run them through treatment in the qt tank. I will definitely post my results.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that doesn't work, try the lights off method. That is how I catch all of my difficult fish (as long as they don't "sleep" buried in the rock.) Wait until the lights have been off for a few hours in total darkness and flip the tank lights on. The fish are stunned to the point where you can reach in and grab them with your hand. I am sure it is stressful for the fish but so is chasing them around with nets.

OP
OP
ReefOnTheBayou

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that doesn't work, try the lights off method. That is how I catch all of my difficult fish (as long as they don't "sleep" buried in the rock.) Wait until the lights have been off for a few hours in total darkness and flip the tank lights on. The fish are stunned to the point where you can reach in and grab them with your hand. I am sure it is stressful for the fish but so is chasing them around with nets.
Thanks for the tip. I was tempted to netting one that sleeps laying on top of a rock last night during lights off but I knew I knew I wouldn't catch them all most sleep in spots I can't get to and the wrasse is in the sand bed somewhere. I will definitely keep this in mind though.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME the Clownfish are Easy. At least all the ones I’ve caught are. Can dang near catch them by hand. Lol. The grammas are a pain. They’re reclusive anyways. Even if you did drain the tank, they like to hide inside rock! Ask me how I know this. You’d be better off trying to catch these in the orb or with another method.

Last edited:

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME the Clownfish are Easy. At least all the ones I’ve caught are. Can dang near catch them by hand. Lol. The grammas are a pain. They’re reclusive anyways. Even if you did drain the they like to hide inside rock! Ask me how I know this. You’d be better off trying to catch these in the orb or with another method.
Yup, my gramma
came out with a rock.....

You can use plastic mesh/screen to divide the tank and make it easier to catch fish too.

Last edited:

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a last resort, what I have done in the past is drained the tank, caught the fish, and pumped the water back in. This can be done fairly fast with a decent size pump and enough brute trash cans. Catching the fish while they’re sleeping is a good thing to try also. Find out where that melanurus is burrowing also. You can sometimes just scoop the fish out of the sand. Carefully!!! The feed and net method works sometimes also. At least with certain fish. Good luck!!!!! You’ll be thankful for the Hanna copper checker!!!!
I just did this and still couldnt catch my flamehawk and royal gramma, they got inside a rock where i would have had to break the rock apart to catch them or let them suffocate. Draining the tank also caused extreme stress on the corals and had some stn a day after so not recommended. I will try the tankmatez next as i see no other alternative.

Back