The dreaded moving of the tank.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have done this successfully before without losing much if anything, ive helped friends move and they hve done well after the move. The question i have is that that if i replace my DIY sump and refugium for either another 40 breeders built how i want it or a pro sump how badly will that through my tanks ability to process import and export of nutrients? will this be something that totally destroys my balance? I have to replumb everything anyway. the tank itsself is 4.5 years old and i took it over and upgraded everything a year ago. how deterimental changes of this manor for long term health?

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I am reading correctly, your just swapping out sumps or are you moving the tank and wanting to swap out the sump as well?

OP
OP
gotmesalty77

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I am reading correctly, your just swapping out sumps or are you moving the tank and wanting to swap out the sump as well?
So i am going to move across town and i was thinking of swapping sumps during this move, My sumpw now is very basic and diy thats mostly a refugium. i know the move alone is going to upset the balance of the tank anyway but would it be that much harder for the tank to re stabilize with the new sump and fuge set up underneath? I plan on keeping nearly 100% of the water so i hope that will help.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would not any more imbalance by switching out the Sump/Fuge area at all since you are moving from one place to another. Even if you were swapping out the sump at the same location. The main thing you want to make sure is that you have everything planned out before you start setting everything back up. Have enough plumbing parts available so that you don't have to be making extra trips to the hardware store.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some of your corals may not like it and react. When I switched sump, just the green Nepthea didn't like it and was closed for over a week then was fine later. All other corals were fine though.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back