The Dutch Synthetic Reefing method (DSR) has made its way to the USA!

glennf

DSR Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
  1. At a minimum this requires 4 dosing heads if you want to automate it, correct?
  2. Power filter placed in sump, preferred. Display optional.
  3. Refugium isn't part of the design so if hobbyist has one - up to them what to do, not do but it won't impact dosing?
  4. EZ calculator. Enter display volume and it will provide base starting numbers (estimate total - display size - rock + sump + refugium) = number to enter
Looking at that data it recommends:
  • EZ Buffer 10.6 ml
  • EZ Calcium 2.1 ml
  • EZ Trace 1.1 ml
  • EZ Carbon 3.8 ml

I am guessing/assuming that testing for Ca and/or Alk would show if one needs to increase or decrease of dosing? Same with phosphate/nitrate? Which of the 4 is the primary nob or dosing agent to use for adjustment or fine tuning? Is that the Carbon source or the buffer?

Would like to understand what is the control mechanism or test result used for adjustment.

1650473057187.png
Four dosing heads are required, but six is also covenient. It gives you the option to dose NO3/PO4 at a later stage.

PF in display is most effective to start with, it unleashes the full potential.

DSR is a full system which don't require the support of any other nutrient removal system. All other actions just overcomplicate the process. Only in case of structural overfeeding/overstocking some tanks aquire additional support.

Baseline dosing are a way to get started.
The dosing ratio's are a guideline. Eventually you will have to tune in the individual dosings according messurements.
The calculator is a very usefull tool to do so. Also fill in the days between measuring intervals to determine the "additional" daily dosings. Make sure you do both the corrections and the adjustment to daily dosings.

Macro elements and nutrients controll have separate dynamics and should be treated accordingly.
The primary knob for macro elements is Alk.

The calculator is self explanatory. Only the yelllow cells are editable.

glennf

DSR Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Ez trace is dosed to maintain mag at 1350 and K at 400-410.
I test for both.
I origanaly dosed it because I ran manmade media in my carx.
It only replenishes alk and ca.
I started at 2ml daily and peaked at 6ml.
I now dose 5ml a day as I have switched to coral bone media.
I have only been running the bones for a few months and mag has not moved. If it goes up I will lower dose.

You do not need to add nitrates just feed more, imo.

5ml a day of ez carbon does not affect no3 or po4 in my system.

I just prefer gfo for po4 control.
No3 stays at around 3 in my system.
PO4 is buffered by the substrate, so it need time to leach out and reach a equilibrium with the water. Dosings are much easier to control. Don't just (over) feed to raise nutrient, this may cause other problems like more detritus buildup and eventually lead to problems like dino/cyano outbreaks. Just feed what you fish require...

90's reefer

Fight the Good Fight
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
PO4 is buffered by the substrate, so it need time to leach out and reach a equilibrium with the water. Dosings are much easier to control. Don't just (over) feed to raise nutrient, this may cause other problems like more detritus buildup and eventually lead to problems like dino/cyano outbreaks. Just feed what you fish require...
I dont over feed I feed heavy and export heavy and run bare bottom reefs.
I now run refugiums on my systems and dose no po4 reducing media. This has worked the best for me on all systems.
This keeps my systems at <3 no3 and .05 for po4.
All I have to do is harvest macro algae from time to time based on levels.
I do run a 3" sand bed on my remote 30g fuge though.

Peninsula Reef Tanks...

• I currently have one

Votes: 60 23.5%
  • I used to have one set up

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • I would like to try one in the future

Votes: 128 50.2%
  • No interest

Votes: 54 21.2%
Vivid